none
How to add back a VSTO addin that I deleted accidentally? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have developed a VSTO addin for Outlook 2010. I published it on a network drive and installed it on a few machines using Click Once Update technology.

The addin worked fine initially. In one machine, in the outlook addins dialog, I selected the addin and removed it for some testing. The addin got removed, but I am unable to add it back again. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the addin. I have checked the registries, no clue. Now the addin shows successfully installed, but it does not get loaded in Outlook, nor does it show up in the COM-Addins dialog. I have checked inactive addins, disabled addins also.

What exactly happens when I delete the addin from the COM-Addins list? How does Outlook remember the list of addins deleted? And most importantly, how do I add it back?

This has been driving me crazy all night, any help will be great.

Thanks, Rashmi

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:38 AM

Answers

• Ok one more Update.

The problem was with AppSense only. I disabled AppSense on one test machine and in that machine I was able to add back a VSTO addin.

• Proposed as answer by DamianD Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rashmi.Anand Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:59 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:32 AM

All replies

• As far as i know outlook simply removes entries from registry when you delete add-in from UI. Verify if you have entry under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\office\outlook\addins and corresponding key under HKLM and try to find key that matches youf add-in name.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Damian

I checked that the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\office\outlook\addins\<AddinName> key exists. But I don't think there will be any key in HKLM, because this is installation is per user. I also checked it in machines where the addin works. So the registry entries are correct.

Thanks, Rashmi

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:05 AM
  • So that entry on your machine and machine where it works is exacly the same? (all values inside that key are the same?)

If so, check HKCU and HKLM Software\Microsoft\VSTO|security\Inclusion for any key that contains entry for your add-in (Url value should point to your vsto file). Is there any?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:16 AM
  • Hi Rashmi,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Did you solve your issue? If you have solved it would you please share your experience or solution here? It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar question to see how you solved it.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, January 27, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Hi Tom,

No, the issue still remains. I have not yet been able to solve this. 

Thanks,  Rashmi

Friday, January 27, 2012 6:28 AM
  • Did you find entry for your add-in in Inclusion registry?
    Friday, January 27, 2012 8:58 AM
  • I am extremely sorry for the late reply. 

Yes I found the entry under inclusions registry. I also took two systems one in which the addin is currently installed and another where I have this issue. I searched for all occurrences of my addin name in both the registries, and they are exactly the same.

Monday, January 30, 2012 1:51 PM
  • ok, remove all registry entries related to your add-in on non working machine (also search whole registry for your add-in name or folder path and also remove), remove folder with all files and try to install it again.
    Monday, January 30, 2012 1:59 PM
  • I did that already and also did that just now just in case.. Doesn't help.

Something just occurred to me. Our company uses AppSense for registries, to preserve the HKCU even when user logs into a different machine. This has caused some confusions in past. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/10650e7b-1808-455c-b1d9-c6a26648c35b 

I am not sure if that is related, but I will figure out how to get the entire registry from the AppSense also and check once more and let you know.

Monday, January 30, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Ok, let us know if this resolved the issue.

Monday, January 30, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Ok that did not help...

Anyway I tried doing a few things and it is not a one - off issue. I am consistently able to reproduce for any user, any machine, any addin. So maybe I am doing something blatantly wrong.

I will list out the steps here so you can tell me if I am doing something wrong.

1. Using Visual Studio 2010, I developed a simple Outlook 2010 addin. Just a HELLO messagebox in startup
    2. Then published it on my network drive.
    3. Navigated to the published location and double clicked on the .vsto file, and the addin gets installed.
    4. I open outlook and I can see the HELLO message.
    5. Next i go to the com-addins dialog and remove the addin.
    6. I restart outlook, and of course the addin doesnt load and is not listed in inactive addins or disable addins.

Now how do I make the addin load?

1. First I tried installing the .vsto again and it says the latest version already installed.
    2. So I go and remove the addin from "Add or Remove Programs".
    3. Then I again double click on the .vsto file and the addin successfully installs.
    4. But the problem is it doesnt appear in the outlook.

Where I am going wrong here?

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:05 AM
  • Ok one more Update.

The problem was with AppSense only. I disabled AppSense on one test machine and in that machine I was able to add back a VSTO addin.

• Proposed as answer by DamianD Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rashmi.Anand Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:59 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:32 AM
  • so, problem solved?
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:05 AM
  • Not yet, I am following up with systems support from my office to get the appsense disabled for certain HKCU keys and only then I can test to be sure. 

But anyways, we have established that its not related to any VSTO addin settings. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks, Rashmi

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:08 AM
  • I had the exact same issue with a different Add-In, and after checking all the registry entries without finding anything, I found a solution:

I went to "Add or remove programs", Microsoft Office 365, hit "Modify" and then run the "Online Repair". It will basically reinstall your Office programs without deleting your personal settings or configuration. After this, the add-in showed up again immediately when I opened Outlook. No reinstall or re-configuring of the account needed. Hope this helps anybody else!

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 8:55 AM