none
Disable inspect element in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a new computer one week ago. I installed Windows 10 when it arrived as it came with Windows 8.1. Everything was going along fine until yesterday when all of a sudden I have inspect element popping up constantly when I try to open programs or click on an article. Even comes up when I want to like a post in Facebook. How do I get this off my computer? Please be specific with info as I don't claim to be a computer expert. Thanks for any help.
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 3:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Denise,

Depending on your Windows version (Home, Enterprise or Pro), features of IE and MS Edge are controlled by Group Policy (Start>Run>GPEdit.msc ). If this is your work computer please contact your system administrators to make the necessary adjustments to your work user profile via. gpedit.

If you are a home user and are not connected to a domain (work) network, then there is no way that you can easily disable the Inspect element context menu.

It is normally invoked by right-clicking on a web page and then selecting it from the context menu dropdown or by pressing f12 key. It may be that you are using a computer with a touch pad that has been configured to emulate the f12 keypress event with a guesture instead.

Start>Control Panel>Mouse to adjust your touchpad settings or

If you have plugged in a usb wireless mouse on a computer with a built-in touch pad, use the mouse control panel to disable the touchpad while you are using the wireless mouse/pointer so that your fingers/hand do not invoke touchpad gestures while you are typing on the keyboard.

Questions about html, css and scripting for website developers using MSIE web browsers. If you are a home use looking for help with IE or Windows please post general questions about IE to http://answers.microsoft.com (Include with your questions links (copied from the IE address bar) to any websites that you are having problems with.)

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, August 14, 2015 12:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Denise,

Depending on your Windows version (Home, Enterprise or Pro), features of IE and MS Edge are controlled by Group Policy (Start>Run>GPEdit.msc ). If this is your work computer please contact your system administrators to make the necessary adjustments to your work user profile via. gpedit.

If you are a home user and are not connected to a domain (work) network, then there is no way that you can easily disable the Inspect element context menu.

It is normally invoked by right-clicking on a web page and then selecting it from the context menu dropdown or by pressing f12 key. It may be that you are using a computer with a touch pad that has been configured to emulate the f12 keypress event with a guesture instead.

Start>Control Panel>Mouse to adjust your touchpad settings or

If you have plugged in a usb wireless mouse on a computer with a built-in touch pad, use the mouse control panel to disable the touchpad while you are using the wireless mouse/pointer so that your fingers/hand do not invoke touchpad gestures while you are typing on the keyboard.

Questions about html, css and scripting for website developers using MSIE web browsers. If you are a home use looking for help with IE or Windows please post general questions about IE to http://answers.microsoft.com (Include with your questions links (copied from the IE address bar) to any websites that you are having problems with.)

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, August 14, 2015 12:35 AM
  • I'm in the same boat. It pops up  constantly & sometimes I have to shut the computer down to get rid of it.  I couldn't make much sense of the answer you rec'vd except that it's pretty hard for a regular human like ourselves to do it.  MIcrosoft ought to do something about this.  I don't want it.  I don't even know what it does!
    Sunday, January 10, 2016 6:48 PM
  • I second this.  When I clicked to reply to the above post, it reared its' ugly head.
    Monday, January 11, 2016 10:25 PM
  • I totally agree - their answer DID NOT help.
    Sunday, February 28, 2016 5:54 PM
  • Denise, I'm with you.  I just got my computer and it came with Windows 10 (I had Windows XP, loved IT).  I am in my Yahoo email trying to type an email and it keeps saving my email in draft every few seconds/minutes and when this happens, it freezes.  Then on top of that, "INSPECT ELEMENT"  pops up.  I have a double problem - getting use to a new computer as well as dealing with Windows 10 - not sure which or what is causing my grief but I'm frustrated for sure.  The answer (below) to your question is certainly not helpful - they sounded like a politician, saying a lot yet not saying anything you can understand.

Glad to know it's not just me. 

Sunday, February 28, 2016 6:00 PM
  • Does ANYONE at Microsoft have an answer to Denise's question or is this another glitch you can't fix?

Don Wright

Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:31 PM
  • I agree with the above statements. I tried the above solution and it didn't work. Apart from the inspect element window coming up randomly I am having to double click everything and the side bar doesn't work properly. Another solution that was offered was to disable pop up windows. Cant find where to do that, supposedly in advanced setup. We need some help from Microsoft personal on this. I will NEVER update again and am considering now staying with Windows 7 or changing to Linux. Does anyone know if there are issues in reverting back to windows 7?
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:25 PM
  • Totally enraging! I have the same problem with inspect element interfering with my work flow. Brand new laptop, out of the box, and this nightmare. Microsoft should listen and respond with a solution for the consumer.
    Sunday, May 8, 2016 3:46 PM
  • It seems Microsoft doesn't care or is incapable of fixing this problem for home users.  Many of us have complained over the last six or eight months and there is still no remedy.

Don Wright

Sunday, May 8, 2016 5:49 PM
  • Many of us have complained over the last six or eight months and there is still no remedy.

You're posting in the wrong forum.  Developers like easy access to usable tools.   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 9:22 PM
  • wher is the FIX? in another forum?????  as computer illiterate customer I just want MS to fix this PROBLEM and they don't reply/have no clue/answer/fix

Federal legislation to recall Windows 10 and customers reimbursed for this DEFECTIVE product.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 6:02 PM
  • The same thing is happening when I am trying to e-mail or reply to an e-mail.  This is so frustrating that I just want to take my laptop and throw it at something.  I would like to find out who we can contact regarding this.  Every once in a while I can get an e-mail to go through but it might be one out of 10

Friday, September 2, 2016 10:14 PM
  • I am having the same problem. I bought a new computer and I cannot do anything on this computer without that inspect element showing up. It is about to drive me crazy. I wish I had never bought this computer now!!
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:00 AM
  • cannot do anything on this computer without that inspect element showing up.

Sounds like you are using right-click on some web content.  What are you trying to do with your right-click?

BTW I'm wondering if you are in Edge (where the right-click menu is much reduced) so its Inspect Element would be more conspicuous.  Then you could open  about:Flags  and make sure that all its boxes got unchecked.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:21 AM
  • All the posts I see are older than three years, so I will add my NEW complaint as of 2019. YES, my less than one point five year old win 10 pc has the HIGHLY IRRITATING AND USELESS FOR MY NEEDS Inspector element installed. When will computer engineers and developers of new systems learn we don't want a platform that becomes OBSOLETE in a year or three!!! WE DON'T TO REPLACE THE LAST OVERLOADED PC WITH EVEN MORE GARBAGE MORE COMPLEXITY loaded in the new PC ! Inspector is a good example of an 'add on' that I bet 80>90% of users don't use.  I know that the useless and screwy element icon appeared and is lurking somewhere on my screen when suddenly the page scrolls madly up down and sideways! I HATE THE GD THING! Please give us a way to boot it to a useless PC add-on hell or at least give us new computer owners a way to turn element off! I have become so PO'ed that I have been pricing Apple products for my next computer purchase. MS is driving me into another computers arms.....Arrrrrrrrraaaaahhhhh!!!! I don't want a MAC I like the PC (windows) OP sys ! I DO!!! But that voice in my head is beginning to get louder...it says;   'I should have went to apple three PC's ago when I noticed that the new improved pcs were nothing more than an old pc with a bunch of extra memory sucking garbage tacked on.' Personally I would rather have in the next PC improvements that makes it easier to use and faster! (hint XP could still be in existence, just add more memory speed and other stuff instead of gaming cards and other play stuff!).....I am sooo depressed.... Thanks for allowing me to get this internal rant external!

Sunday, March 31, 2019 12:53 PM