none
Microsoft edge vs Internet Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Now with the new Windows 10 I have Microsoft edge, do I need Internet Explorer and if not, can I get rid of it?
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 12:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No. You do so at your own risk. Win10 supports other legacy executables that you may have installed on your machine, which in turn may have dependencies with the WBC or IE eg. MS Money. Think of Edge as the replacement for Metro/Immersive IE on Win8x, except that its not a frameless browser.

Particularly if you are using enterprise networks, there are legacy enterprise assets (still) that require IE's legacy support with emulation modes.

Post consumer questions about IE/Edge to http://answers.microsoft.com/

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, July 31, 2015 12:58 AM
  • I'd advise against that. Edge has too many bugs right now. Modern web pages (i.e JavaScript-laden ones) can grind it to a halt on lesser machines, and I'm seeing quite a few issues with input not working (I can't even use the MSDN forum search bar here because it won't take text input any more). Just in the last hour, I've submitted 5 different feedback issues just in the last hour related to pages being straight-up unusable.

It may seem better because rendering doesn't get gummed up as badly, but javascript (which cannot be avoided today) and general UI flakiness are serious knocks on it.

Friday, July 31, 2015 5:19 PM
  • do I need Internet Explorer and if not, can I get rid of it?
    Yes and No.  Same as ever.  You can hide the browser iexplore.exe using Windows Features but it looks like you still need the browsing functionality that is imbedded in the OS.   E.g. Run... Resmon.exe, select explorer.exe and then in the CPU tab see that there are still IE-related modules being loaded in it.  (In fact, sort by Version and scroll to some which start with 11.0.)  In any case, you would probably need IE functionality if you were ever loading pages that demanded IE compatibility.  So hide the browser stub if you want but don't think of that as "getting rid" of IE.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 1, 2015 12:39 AM