none
Uploading DICOM studies using the Medical Image Study type in Java RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use the new Medical Image Study type to upload DICOM studies to HealthVault using the Java SDK.  Could you give me some pointers on how to do this using Java or what the XML requests might look like?  I've read this blog post [1], but still am at a loss for how this works from a technical perspective.  I've also received a demo .NET application that showcases this new type, but we are not a .NET shop, so this isn't very helpful for us.  Also, is there a way I can get the XML schema for this new type?

We want to build a working demo that allows a user to upload a study to their HealthVault account, but can't get very far without more technical information.  I'll be getting in touch with someone from Microsoft tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone here had any input.

Thanks for your help.

[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/healthvaultdatatypes/archive/2009/07/09/for-review-medical-image-study.aspx
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:13 PM

Answers

• I've talked to Michael offline, but for others browsing this thread: we are working to add medical image support to the HealthVault platform by the end of this calendar year.  More details will be made public when these new features are released.  If you are interested in working with these pre-release features, you will first need to sign an NDA with Microsoft.  You can start this process by emailing HVBD@microsoft.com.

thanks,

-Chris

Chris Tremonte, PM - HealthVault
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:11 AM

All replies

• I've talked to Michael offline, but for others browsing this thread: we are working to add medical image support to the HealthVault platform by the end of this calendar year.  More details will be made public when these new features are released.  If you are interested in working with these pre-release features, you will first need to sign an NDA with Microsoft.  You can start this process by emailing HVBD@microsoft.com.

thanks,

-Chris

Chris Tremonte, PM - HealthVault
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Hi

This being a very old post so I hope we have the full DICOM support in the JAVA API by now but I'm not able to find a sample where in you can stream a blob and then bind it with the Medical Image Study and upload the study in the Healthvault.

Would be absolutely great if I could get some help on this.

Thanks in anticipation.

Friday, January 27, 2012 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

I haven't yet added streaming support to the Java API.  That said, the Java API is fairly thin over the XML api.  At this time your only choice, if using java, is to trace the .NET Request/Responses to reverse engineer the protocol.  The XML api is available to you through Java.

Can you give us an idea of the project you are working on?

--Rob

Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:48 AM
  • Hi Rob

Many thanks for the reply. The project is to upload dicom studies to Healthvault through a custom healthvault application. So that means we would have to bind a number of dicom files(blobs) with one Medical Image Study type. For that we need to upload blobs as separate files and from what I understand, will need to put in the URLs of the blob in the Medical Image Study object. Now since we cannot stream blobs in Java, what would be the best way I can accomplish this? I'm not at all comfortable with the .NET framework. Would be great if you could help me out here.

Saturday, January 28, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hi,

Can you contact me through the HealthVault Java forum and we'll take it from there.  http://healthvaultjavalib.codeplex.com/

Thanks,

Rob

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:40 AM
  • Thanks Rob. I'll surely do that.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:59 PM