none
Automatically update title so a document can be checked it at upload RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for a way for a user to drag a document into a library and have it automatically use the filename as the title. The title appears to be a required field so you can't check in the document until its populated. I have created a workflow to do this for me but the catch22 is that when the file is uploaded its automatically checks itself out because the the title field is empty and its a required field. The workflow shows as starting but never completes. If I manually populate the title field then change the file (which triggers the workflow). The title is updated with the filename so the workflow is working but I believe its not working on newly uploaded files because they are checked out.

Has anyone seen a solution for this?

Sharepoint 2013, Windows 2012 R2

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:21 PM

Answers

• I came up with a solution.  My workflow will update the title with the filename as soon as its checked in.  The issue was that the title field was required so it wouldn't allow it to check in.  I made the title field optional and the workflow processes correctly now.
    • Marked as answer by trevoryour_cp Wednesday, December 11, 2019 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi trevoryour_cp,

As a workaround, you could create worflow with SharePoint 2010 Workflow Platform Type  to update the title column then check in the document.

Build your workflow 2010 like this:

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:29 AM
  • I tried this as well.  Same story.  Once its uploaded the the title field is empty and as a result, I can't run any workflows on it.
    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 1:39 PM
  • in general it should work with workflow. Check also the following forum thread: Auto populate Title with Doc Name. There are also 3rd party workflows which do that: SharePoint Document Auto Title.

Blog - http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com
    Dynamic CAML queries via C# - https://github.com/sadomovalex/camlex

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 3:17 PM
  • I came up with a solution.  My workflow will update the title with the filename as soon as its checked in.  The issue was that the title field was required so it wouldn't allow it to check in.  I made the title field optional and the workflow processes correctly now.
    • Marked as answer by trevoryour_cp Wednesday, December 11, 2019 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

Great! Glad that you solved this issue. Thanks for your sharing.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:28 AM