none
Medication class in ItemTypes namespace RRS feed

• Question

• More of a comment than a question, but it appears the Medication class is tailored towards prescription "tablets". However, a medication can be IVs (intravenous infusions) where it’s administered at an office. Maybe there needs to be Therapy class altogether?  Or maybe I can use some other class to capture therapy like situations? I would like to avoid using HealtRecordItemExtensions.

Let me know your thoughts.

Phillip

Friday, May 9, 2008 3:39 PM

Answers

• Phillip,

You may be interested to know that we are revising Medication, and I hope to post an overview of our plans on the data type blog in the near future.

I'm not a subject matter expert, but I think you should be able to code an IV medication the same way you would code liquid medications. Something like:

Strength = 10mg/ml

Dose = 5ml

It would also be possible to code it with something like:

Strength = 10mg

Dose = 1 dose

If that doesn't make sense, can you give use more information on how the medication is specified?

Monday, May 12, 2008 4:49 PM

All replies

• Phillip,

You may be interested to know that we are revising Medication, and I hope to post an overview of our plans on the data type blog in the near future.

I'm not a subject matter expert, but I think you should be able to code an IV medication the same way you would code liquid medications. Something like:

Strength = 10mg/ml

Dose = 5ml

It would also be possible to code it with something like:

Strength = 10mg

Dose = 1 dose

If that doesn't make sense, can you give use more information on how the medication is specified?

Monday, May 12, 2008 4:49 PM
  • Thanks for your input. Capturing the dosage isn't a problem - I was more thinking of additional properties, such as the following:

-DateAdministered as  ApproximateDateTime or HealthServiceDateTime (when the drug was administered)

-TreatmentLocation as ContactInfo (location where drug was administered - could be Dr's office  or treatment center)

-TreatmentDuration as DurationValue (duration of treatment, 30min, 1hr, 2hrs etc.)

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:04 PM
  • Why wouldn't HealthVault incorporate NDC Codes ?  They are the standard, and include dosage, route, etc.  Best of all , they're free.  http://www.fda.gov/cder/ndc/index.htm

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:15 PM

• NDC can be captured using the Code property in the Medication class. My comment was about capturing medication that's therapy-like...
    Monday, May 12, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Hmm. I think that you're looking for the act of taking the medication, which is something different than Medication (which is about recording that the person is taking a specific medication).

I think that daily-mediation-usage is probably the closest. We've been considering generalizing that out to cover medication usage in general.

My guess is that I'd handle your request as follows:

1) A medication instance that describes the medication

2) A medication-usage instance that describes the administration of a specific dose.

3) An encounter instance that describes the visit

With all of them linked together through related items.

My guess is that daily-medication-usage doesn't quite have what you want there. If you could take a look at it and see what isn't there, that would be helpful for when we look at it.

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:39 PM
  • The medication type structure will support coding NDC codes, though we do not yet have the NDC vocabulary on the platform.

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Is the inclusion of the vocabulary on the development roadmap?  What timeframe might we expect to see it?
    Monday, May 12, 2008 6:44 PM
  • Whenever we get into standard vocabularies there are always legal/licensing/eula issues that need to be resolved, and then there's the conversion from whatever format they have to our internal format.

So, it's fair to say that it's a high priority, but I'm hesitant to talk about that in more detail right now. We do understand the desire of partners to use it in Medication.

Monday, May 12, 2008 8:18 PM
  • If you have a chance, could you respond to this blog post.

Monday, May 12, 2008 9:54 PM