none
Print infopath forms - different browsers RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SharePoint (online) list that uses InfoPath forms. So far I am able to print filled out forms with limitations. I did configure the "print" tab on the form properties (to the defaults). I print by opening the form and hitting "Ctrl-P". I used to have a ribbon on the webpart that opens the forms. Does that ribbon have a print button? Would it bring a better print function than Ctrl-P?

In Internet explorer I was able to turn on background-color printing and it works. My main problem in IE is that the form prints out kind of small. Can I control that?

My user will probably use Chrome. There, so far, I have no color printing. Also, when I open the form and use "Ctrl-P", it prints the form and then the entire list (35 pages). Can I get more control of the print job in Chrome (color, size, just the form)? Is there a better way to initiate the print?

I do not have SharePoint designer.

Thanks,
    Peter

GreenCapitalist

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

What did you mean “print” tab on the form properties? Did you mean Print Preview as shown below?

There is no OOB print button in SharePoint ribbon, we could only use the print function of browser.

When we use IE browser to print form, we could use the print preview settings and change the Page Size to adjust the font size.

And please select the “Color” and “Background graphics” to print colored form in Chrome.

Finally, please use Ctrl+Shift+P to print using system dialog and check whether you could print the form only in Chrome.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:38 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delayed reply, when we create a new SharePoint Form Library in InfoPath, we could click File> Advanced form options>Web browser Category for detailed settings as shown below.

If we don’t click the “Show InfoPath commands in Ribbon or toolbar” and publish it in SharePoint, that button is  grayed out when you add this form in web part.

And you will also don’t  have Print Preview ribbon when you open the form in web-browser.

Please enable “Show InfoPath commands in Ribbon or toolbar” before publishing it and click the Print Preview to show the ribbon you want when open it in browser.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 9:33 AM

All replies

• OK.  I got background color printing in Chrome now with the help of a css snippet. 
    But I notice a new probem. It wants to print the form and then the whole list. If I choose to print only page 1 it prints an image with the form embedded in the first page of the list. How can I choose to print the form only?

Hope to control the image more in Chrome also.

Thanks

GreenCapitalist

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:21 PM
  • Hi Peter,

What did you mean “print” tab on the form properties? Did you mean Print Preview as shown below?

There is no OOB print button in SharePoint ribbon, we could only use the print function of browser.

When we use IE browser to print form, we could use the print preview settings and change the Page Size to adjust the font size.

And please select the “Color” and “Background graphics” to print colored form in Chrome.

Finally, please use Ctrl+Shift+P to print using system dialog and check whether you could print the form only in Chrome.

Best regards,

Julie

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:38 AM
  • Julie,
    Thanks for all the great info. After reading your reply I remembered that my forms were set to display in a dialog box instead of a page. After changing that most of my printing problems are gone.
    I still wonder if you could help me with the infoPath ribbon, where you show the Print Preview button.
    In my list I turned off the ribbon, by editing the display form web part by unchecking 'show ribbon'. I am unable to undo that because that button is now grayed out.

When I create a new Custom List it does have a ribbon, but that ribbon does not have a Print Preview button.
    Can you guess why my activate ribbon button is grayed out?
    Can I add a Print Preview button to my Custom list ribbon?
    Thanks,
    Peter

GreenCapitalist

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 4:28 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delayed reply, when we create a new SharePoint Form Library in InfoPath, we could click File> Advanced form options>Web browser Category for detailed settings as shown below.

If we don’t click the “Show InfoPath commands in Ribbon or toolbar” and publish it in SharePoint, that button is  grayed out when you add this form in web part.

And you will also don’t  have Print Preview ribbon when you open the form in web-browser.

Please enable “Show InfoPath commands in Ribbon or toolbar” before publishing it and click the Print Preview to show the ribbon you want when open it in browser.

Best regards,

Julie

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Thanks for marking my reply as answer. I’m pleased to know that the information is helpful to you.

Here I will provide a summary of this post for your information.

[Print InfoPath forms - different browsers— Summary]

Situation

====================

SharePoint Online

Question

====================

When user prints InfoPath form in SharePoint online in different browser will have some print limitation,

Such as no background-color or unable to print only one form in Chrome.

Then user want to know why the “Show InfoPath Ribbon or toolbar” in the InfoPath web part is gray out, and unable to see “Print Preview” button in web- browser ribbon.

Solution

====================

According to Peter’s reply, when display form in the dialog box instead of a page will occur print errors, changing “Launch forms in a dialog?” to No to avoid the issue.

When we create a new SharePoint Form Library in InfoPath, we could click File> Advanced form options to enable “Show InfoPath commands in Ribbon or toolbar” before publishing it and click the Print Preview to show the ribbon you want when open it in browser.

Best regards,

Julie

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:52 AM