none
Custodian Authorizing Application Access To Mutliple Health Records RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am developing a HealthVault application.  My HealthVault account has multiple Health Records.  I am unable to find in the HealthVault UI a way for a Custodian to authorize access all those Health Records without having to make that authorization request through the application itself.

To state it differently, if as a Custodian, I have authorized the application to access my Health Record, HealthVault now knows which applications have access to my HealthVault account and to my Health Record. HealthVault also knows which Health Records I have been given Custodial privileges over.   So why can't I, as a Custodian, from the HealthVault UI, authorize the application to access those custodial Health Records without having to make the request through the application itself.

Any advise or feedback would be welcome.  I keep thinking that it must be somewhere in the UI.  Right in front of me. I have looked at the SDK and am aware of the coding in the HealthAndFitness sample application that makes the shell and login requests for authorization.  My current interest is in the HealthVault UI itself independent of this additional coding.

Thanks,

Mark

Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:10 AM

Answers

• Regarding avoiding authorization request using application itself, the authoriziation of user for an application has to be done via a shell redirect from the application itself. 

There is no way (afaik)  a custodian can authorize records for application using the HV site.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:33 AM

All replies

• Regarding avoiding authorization request using application itself, the authoriziation of user for an application has to be done via a shell redirect from the application itself. 

There is no way (afaik)  a custodian can authorize records for application using the HV site.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:33 AM
  • Raj is correct.  The HealthVault UI does not currently provide a means of authorizing an application to access additional records once the application is authorized against a first record.  From the perspective of the user, such a feature would certainly adhere to the core tenant of HV-- users explicitly controlling all access to records and health data.  But, you can imagine scenarios where the application would want/need to be alerted about the additional records at the time the authorization was made (the application could discover additional authorized records after the fact using GetAuthorizedRecords, which may or may not be sufficient for some scenarios).

Be sure to read this article for other considerations when building a multi-record application.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/healthvault/bb871492.aspx

Cheers,

Tom

Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:57 PM