none
Getting Git menu when editing a TFVC xaml build definition

שאלה

• Hi all,

A team member is getting this strange behavior:

on team explorer-->builds, he chooses a xaml build

when choosing "Edit build definitions

he is getting the Git menu, for example, seeing  Monitored branches list,

We have a Git repository under the same team project, but there is no reason why this particular xaml build that works as TFVC build with TVC sources will expose Git build features

Furthermore, when I edit the same build definition I am getting the TFVC menus.

Would appreciate your insights on this enigma.

Thanks.

Sharon.

יום שני 31 יולי 2017 14:16

תשובות

• Hi

Might be a bug.

Might be otherwise: You have 2015 xaml build server, but does it use CUSTOM assemblies?

If so - is it possible that the custom assemblies based on 2012?

maybe the build definition itself based on 2012 objects? 

Still, You can report to Microsoft: from Visual studio : Help --> Send Feedback --> report a problem

Enter full details regarding to client/TFS server/build server versions, steps to reproduce and submit the issue.

Dan

דן

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי Sharon George יום חמישי 10 אוגוסט 2017 13:40
    יום חמישי 10 אוגוסט 2017 13:21
    מנחה דיון

כל התגובות

• Hi

What TFS version?

What visual studio version? same for you and the team member?

the XAML build definition - based on which build process template? git or TFVC?

Dan

דן

• הוצע כתשובה על-ידי Dan MorgensternModerator יום רביעי 02 אוגוסט 2017 08:48
    • הצעה כתשובה בוטלה על-ידי Sharon George יום חמישי 03 אוגוסט 2017 12:18
    יום שני 31 יולי 2017 19:53
    מנחה דיון
  • Hi Dan,

Many thanks for your assistance.

Here is a more accurate description of the problem:

1. We are working on TFS 2017 with a collection upgraded from TFS15

2. We are using xaml builds for TFVC, which we customized from the xaml build template of tfs 2012

3.  My colleague is getting git menu when trying to add a new xaml file in the build definition process tab

4. my colleague is working with vs 2013 update 5

5. I can reproduce this issue when working with VS 2015

6.   I cannot reproduce this on vs 2012 (fortunately)

7. Our team project includes, in addition to TFVC sources, also Git repositories. I can see that if I browse to xamls on another team project - which does no contain git repositories - I am getting a valid menu, as in the 2nd shared image below.

here is the image for team project that includes Git:

Image for new xaml on team project with no Git repositories:

Please let me know if  I should supply any additional info,

thanks again, 

sharon.

יום חמישי 03 אוגוסט 2017 12:18
  • Hi

Thanks for the details, now everything clear

First - You need to know that TFS build 2012 is the only build version NOT compatible with TFS 2017 server

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/setup-admin/requirements#tfs-build-compatibility

Second - This is how team explorer works: when you attempt to edit build definition in VS, then VS fetches the identity of the relevant build controller, then fetches the custom binaries path related to that controller, then tries to load those dlls.

That explains strange behaviors when trying to edit build definition in team explorer / visual studio from edition different then the build server/

I have seen other issues when trying to edit 2012 based build definition from VS 2013.

My advises to you:

1. as long as you maintain TFS build 2012 server, please maintain VS 2012 to modify the builds

2. if you can - consider upgrading 2012 build server to a supported version (2015)

Dan

דן

• הוצע כתשובה על-ידי Dan MorgensternModerator יום חמישי 03 אוגוסט 2017 16:39
    • סומן כתשובה על-ידי Dan MorgensternModerator יום שני 07 אוגוסט 2017 18:48
    • סימון כתשובה בוטל על-ידי Sharon George יום חמישי 10 אוגוסט 2017 08:14
    יום חמישי 03 אוגוסט 2017 16:39
    מנחה דיון
  • Thanks Dan!

Our build server is version 15.1

Still, I can only add choose a new xaml for a build from TFVC using VS 2012

Later versions (2013, 2015) display the Git menu as mentioned above.

Please note this only happens when I am working on a 2015 scrum template team project that includes Git repositories

when working with 2012 template team project without git repositories, or 2015 scrum template team project without repositories, I can choose a new xaml from TFVC without any issues

I believe this is a bug.

Thanks,

Sharon.

• נערך על-ידי Sharon George יום חמישי 10 אוגוסט 2017 10:56
    יום חמישי 10 אוגוסט 2017 08:14
  • Hi

Might be a bug.

Might be otherwise: You have 2015 xaml build server, but does it use CUSTOM assemblies?

If so - is it possible that the custom assemblies based on 2012?

maybe the build definition itself based on 2012 objects? 

Still, You can report to Microsoft: from Visual studio : Help --> Send Feedback --> report a problem

Enter full details regarding to client/TFS server/build server versions, steps to reproduce and submit the issue.

Dan

דן

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי Sharon George יום חמישי 10 אוגוסט 2017 13:40
    יום חמישי 10 אוגוסט 2017 13:21
    מנחה דיון
  • Thanks a lot Dan!

appreciate your help on this,

Sharon.

יום חמישי 10 אוגוסט 2017 13:40