none
My Pictures are NOT Showing on my site page - Just Showing "X". But They are Publishing???? RRS feed

• Question

• I use Microsoft Expression Web 3 for my website English Rose Bulldogz.  I have been doing this for over 3 years now with no problems.  Today, however, I went to go add some puppy pictures to my site using Expression Web 3 as I normally do, and pictures of puppies that I put on there three days ago are now replaced with an "x".  Now, there are a couple pictures that are still showing, but the rest are "x".   Keep in mind, I published these pictures three days ago and they published just fine, but again, today they are just showing an "x". 

So, I deleted a couple puppy pictures and redid them, and they are still showing an "x".  I went ahead and added a couple more puppies, pictures are still showing "x", but they PUBLISH JUST FINE!

What I do with my pictures is put them on the computer - name them, and then put them in my website folder.  The path has always been the same - nothing has changed and everything has worked just fine until today.  Again, however, they are publishing fine - it's just that I cannot "see" what pictures I have on my site page.

Any ideas of what has happened?  I can't say this enough, they are publishing fine, it is just not showing up for me on my site page in Expressions to see what pictures I have put there without clicking on picture properties - it's just showing an "x".  Thanks for any help!  Jeri

dimanche 13 octobre 2013 19:58

Toutes les réponses

• This now seems to be some sort of a "loading" problem within the software.  Sometimes when I pull up EW 3 and my "puppy" page where I do my editing of pictures, all the pictures ARE there...then next time I go to check since this has been happening, they are NOT there and just an x.   Again, the links are correct, they are publishing FINE, but I just can't see them in EW3 on the page I am working with. 

• Modifié Gooselover dimanche 13 octobre 2013 22:51
    dimanche 13 octobre 2013 21:50
  • You need to post a link so someone can open the site and troubleshoot the issue.

Expression Web MVP

dimanche 13 octobre 2013 23:11
  • First of all, anytime you're asking a question involving the appearance of your site, provide a clickable link to the site. However, you did give enough info to google it, so, assuming that this is it, I as able to find it.

It appears that you have a cache issue, because every single image on the site is appearing normally to me. No red "X"s at all. All the puppies, dams, sires, gallery, everything. You need to clear your browser's cache, because you seem to be looking at older versions of the page. View the site, one of the pages with missing images, then press Ctrl+F5, which will force a reload of the page from the server (instead of fetching it from the local cache).

Also, your Puppies page is w-a-a-y too wide, forcing visitors to scroll horizontally, back and forth, to view the page. Bad idea. You do not want to discourage visitors from viewing your stock in trade, which is what you are doing.

Clear your browser's history/cache, and you should see hat you expect to see.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

dimanche 13 octobre 2013 23:17
  • Scott, thanks for the reply, but the problem is NOT on my actual website....everything is publishing correctly.  The problem lies in EW.  When I pull up EW and go to my "puppy page" to edit.....let's say I want to delete a puppy picture and put in a new one....first of all I cannot see ANY puppy pictures within EW...they all have an x.  So, let's say I want to replace a puppy picture with a new one - I get an "x" again.  However, when I go to publish to my actual website, they are all fine.  So, EW is publishing correctly, but it is NOT letting me VIEW the pictures within EW.  Does that make more sense?  It's almost like the pictures are not loading within EW. 

The reason I could not put my actual website within these posts is that it says I must be verified.  My website is English Rose Bulldogz......all one word  .com.

lundi 14 octobre 2013 00:25
  • Again, the problem is NOT on my website nor is it a problem with EW publishing to the website....it is a problem within EW that will not let me see where I have placed my pictures or any pictures at all.  All pictures WITHIN EW are "x".  Now, once in a while today, I will pull up EW and the pictures are all there for me to see....I will close down the program....reopen in a few minutes, and I get X again!
    lundi 14 octobre 2013 00:26
  • It won't let me post my actual website here as it says I need to be verified.  However, it is English Rose Bulldogz.

I want to mention that I found something on EW down in the bottom left hand corner...it says "reports".  I clicked on this and it shows something called "slow pages".  Under the puppy link it shows download time 5877 seconds.  I don't know what this means, but maybe something is wrong with the EW loading the pictures????

lundi 14 octobre 2013 00:31
  • Hm... OK, that's a new one on me. However, rather than try to troubleshoot it, why don't you just download and install the completely free, newest version EW4 SP2a, available here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36179

It does not require activation, installs side by side with any previous versions, and will probably resolve your issue completely.

Oh, and do something about the width on that Puppies page...  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Modifié paladyn lundi 14 octobre 2013 01:41
    lundi 14 octobre 2013 01:39
  • Scott, I already did that.....installed the new version EW4.  It did the same thing!  Showed 'x' where the pictures should be!  Oh, and regarding the width....on my camera if I use the "easy" button for the photos, when loading them on the EW, it gave me the option for "thumbnail".  That made the website look "slimmer".  However, I have been using the "camera" button and the pictures were bigger but still looked okay.  When I look at my website from my computer, I can just slide my scroll bar over about an inch and all the puppy pictures are there - easy to see.

Now, I just played around with EW again on my "puppy page" site view.  I went ahead and changed a couple pictures to smaller or thumbnail.  It worked! (they already were "thumbnailed")  However, when trying to do that with the newer pictures - I cannot get it to let me do "thumbnail".  How can I change these pictures to "thumbnail"?

lundi 14 octobre 2013 01:49
  • I want to mention that I found something on EW down in the bottom left hand corner...it says "reports".  I clicked on this and it shows something called "slow pages".  Under the puppy link it shows download time 5877 seconds.  I don't know what this means, but maybe something is wrong with the EW loading the pictures????

The slow pages report on the Puppies page is caused by all the large images you have on that page. You have over 40 images of about 0.5Mb each, so the page is over 20Mb in total, which is a serious problem. It takes several seconds to load on a high speed connection. Someone with a slow connecting is going to find it impossible and will probably just leave the site altogether.

You'd be better using a lightbox type gallery for these, with an array of thumbnail images which enlarge when clicked.

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

lundi 14 octobre 2013 11:12
  • I agree with everyone here that the pictures are too big....however, I have had more pictures on there at one time and never had this loading problem...if that what it is.  Now, how on earth do I change these pictures to thumbnail?  I have deleted pictures and tried inserting them back in, but it doesn't give me a thumbnail option.  How do I do this?
    lundi 14 octobre 2013 13:16
  • Rather than just create thumbnails and have them open the full images in a new window, a jQuery Lightbox or similar gives a much better user experience. There's an add-in for EW that will create this for you. Give the free trial a go to see how it works.

http://www.ajatix.com/lightbox/expression-web-add-in.html

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

lundi 14 octobre 2013 14:14
  • Color me stupid, but I downloaded it by using the free trial and when I open up EW to try to use it - it doesn't seem to be connected to EW at all????? 
    lundi 14 octobre 2013 16:03
  • Umm... did you actually run the .exe to install it?

If you did, FWIW, most of the add-ins I have seen for EW install themselves under either the Insert or the Tools menu. Where did you look?

cheers,
    scott

• Modifié paladyn lundi 14 octobre 2013 17:50
    lundi 14 octobre 2013 17:45
  • Yes I did.  It showed it was installed.  At the beginning of the download, it asked run or save....I choose run and it did say it was installed.

I did however let it choose where it would be installed.  Should I have had it installed in EW????  I am not technically savvy...however, if someone shows me what to do, I can do it. 

lundi 14 octobre 2013 17:47
  • I will ask you again—where have you looked? Add-ins typically install themselves under one of the main menus, such as "Insert" or "Tools." Have you checked all of the menus?

BTW, you really do not need to install a commercial, paid add-in for this. There are many free jQuery plugins that can do the same thing, such as PrettyPhoto (example with videos—click any "Testimonial Video" link). And if your objective is, as it should be, to simply optimize those images so that they load quickly and fit within a reasonable width on the page, you can do that yourself with any free graphics editor, such as Irfanview.

For example, I d/l bella.jpg from the Puppies page, resized it to 400 x 300 like the images on other, normal width pages, then optimized it to "high" quality, and ended up with a file size of 33.4 kB, from an original of 469 kB, with no discernible loss of quality. If you size and optimize each of your images before you use them on the page, you will both achieve better results and minimize download times at the same time.

cheers,
    scott

• Modifié paladyn lundi 14 octobre 2013 18:27
    lundi 14 octobre 2013 18:24
  • Thank you everyone for all your help in resolving my issue.  I wanted to let you know that I did talk with Microsoft regarding this at length (two hours) and they were trying to resolve it, but to no avail.  They, too, are stumped at what is going on!  While they were not able to resolve the issue, they did help me find a "back way" to do this. 
    lundi 14 octobre 2013 22:18
  • Would you care to share that "back way" with everyone, since this is a public forum?

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

mardi 15 octobre 2013 03:29
  • Absolutely I will share!  First of all, they installed EW4 and we uninstalled EW3.  I asked my rep at MS (Mr. Khan - who was really good by the way) to assure me that we would NOT lose anything and that we would be able to connect back to my hosting site....he assured me we would. 

So, we get everything done and guess what?  No address for server, but I called my host and we got it set up. 

Now, to answer your question on what we did.....what I HAD been doing was going to the site view and then picking the page that I wanted to work with - in this case puppies.  As you know, the page would come up but I could not see all my pictures for some reason, BUT THEY PUBLISH JUST FINE!   So, what Mr. Khan did was to have me pick the puppy page from the area where all my pictures are STORED instead of from the site itself.  It seems to work, but I did try to do it my "regular" way last night - pick the puppy page from the site view - and it worked too.

After we were done, Mr. Khan's manager called me - yes they were from India but spoke good English and were very knowledgeable - and asked me how Mr. Khan did.  He also told me that since the issue wasn't really fixed, they were going to have a conference between tech heads to try and figure it out, but that I would not be charged at all for this!  Mr. Khan and his manager were both stumped over this, but they assured me it was NOT because of the size of my pictures.   We even put thumbnails in instead of my regular size pictures and the same thing happened.  Anyway, now it is working.  Hope this makes sense.....  Jeri 

mardi 15 octobre 2013 13:53