none
Expression web 4 cannot find FPDB.dll RRS feed

• Question

• We are migrating our site from FrontPage 2003 to EW4 and I am trying to replace the webbots from FP to a normal db call in expression web but none of my db regions are working. Does anyone knows if there is a fix for this problem or if there is an alternative solution to webbots and expresion web?
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:59 AM

All replies

• Impossible to say from the information provided, but I can tell you that EW's support for any FP features at all is simply for backward compatibility. Some features, such as Navigation View, Shared Borders, Database Wizard, etc. are gone altogether. Others are "supported" in the sense that EW won't barf in your lap if they're in your site, but cannot be either edited nor created anew in EW. And a few features are still fully supported, such as HTTP publishing (if the FPSE are installed), design-time includes, the bloated Interactive Buttons [gack!], and a few more.

I really can't tell you much more, given the question, except that there is no such thing as a "normal db call" in EW. There is no data handling at all in EW itself. Data management is provided through support of ASP.NET and a circumscribed (and not yet extensible) group of ASP.NET data controls in the Toolbox.

For that kind of work, you're actually better off downloading the free Visual Web Developer Express, which is basically a Web-dedicated version of Visual Studio. It provides much more robust data management, extensibility, a very, very good debugger, Intellisense, Code Behind support, etc. And it round-trips very nicely with EW to provide a sterling design/development platform combination.

cheers,
    scott
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:36 AM
  • fpdb.dll is a Microsoft Office FrontPage Database Results Wizard.  EW has nothing to do with that.

You would need to create your own database queries using whatever scripting your host supports.  If asp.net, EW provides plenty of support for database access using asp.net tools.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:00 AM
  • What Scott said.

Also, these tutorials were made for people making the switch:

http://www.homepagedoctor.com/Tutorials.aspx

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:43 PM
  •   <!--webbot bot="DatabaseRegionStart" s-columnnames="PlanID,Country,Plan Type,Provider,Summary Description,Eligibility,Contacts,Forms,Plan Detail,Info" s-columntypes="3,202,202,202,202,202,203,203,203,202" s-dataconnection="Benefits" b-tableformat="TRUE" b-menuformat="FALSE" s-menuchoice="Plan Type" s-menuvalue="Plan Type" b-tableborder="FALSE" b-tableexpand="FALSE" b-tableheader="TRUE" b-listlabels="TRUE" b-listseparator="TRUE" i-listformat="0" b-makeform="TRUE" s-recordsource="qryBenefitsList" s-displaycolumns="Plan Type,Provider,Summary Description,Info" s-criteria="[Country] EQ [CAN] +" s-order="" s-sql="SELECT * FROM qryBenefitsList WHERE (Country =  'CAN')" b-procedure="FALSE" clientside suggestedext="asp" s-defaultfields s-norecordsfound="No records returned." i-maxrecords="0" i-groupsize="0" botid="0" u-dblib="../../../_fpclass/fpdblib.inc" u-dbrgn1="../../../_fpclass/fpdbrgn1.inc" u-dbrgn2="../../../_fpclass/fpdbrgn2.inc" tag="TBODY" preview="&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=64 bgcolor=&quot;#FFFF00&quot; width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;&lt;font color=&quot;#000000&quot;&gt;This is the start of a Database Results region. The page must be fetched from a web server with a web browser to display correctly; the current web is stored on your local disk or network.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;" startspan b-WasTableFormat="TRUE" b-ReplaceDatabaseRegion="FALSE" --><!--#include file="../../../_fpclass/fpdblib.inc"-->
    <% if 0 then %>
    <SCRIPT Language="JavaScript">
    document.write("<div style='background: yellow; color: black;'>The Database Results component on this page is unable to display database content. The page must have a filename ending in '.asp', and the web must be hosted on a server that supports Active Server Pages.</div>");
    </SCRIPT>
    <% end if %>
    <%
    fp_sQry="SELECT * FROM qryBenefitsList WHERE (Country =  'CAN')"
    fp_sDefault=""
    fp_sNoRecords="<tr><td colspan=4 align=""LEFT"" width=""100%"">No records returned.</td></tr>"
    fp_sDataConn="Benefits"
    fp_iMaxRecords=0
    fp_iCommandType=1
    fp_iPageSize=0
    fp_fTableFormat=True
    fp_fMenuFormat=False
    fp_sMenuChoice="Plan Type"
    fp_sMenuValue="Plan Type"
    fp_sColTypes="&PlanID=3&Country=202&Plan Type=202&Provider=202&Summary Description=202&Eligibility=202&Contacts=203&Forms=203&Plan Detail=203&Info=202&"
    fp_iDisplayCols=4
    fp_fCustomQuery=False
    BOTID=0
    fp_iRegion=BOTID
    %>
    <!--#include file="../../../_fpclass/fpdbrgn1.inc"-->
    <!--webbot bot="DatabaseRegionStart" endspan i-checksum="51220" --><tr>
          <td style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1" width="136">
          <p style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 6"><font size="2">
          <!--webbot bot="DatabaseResultColumn" s-columnnames="PlanID,Country,Plan Type,Provider,Summary Description,Eligibility,Contacts,Forms,Plan Detail,Info" s-column="Plan Type" b-tableformat="TRUE" b-hashtml="FALSE" b-makelink="FALSE" clientside b-MenuFormat preview="&lt;font size=&quot;-1&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&lt;/font&gt;Plan Type&lt;font size=&quot;-1&quot;&gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt;&lt;/font&gt;" startspan --><%=FP_FieldVal(fp_rs,"Plan Type")%><!--webbot bot="DatabaseResultColumn" endspan i-checksum="19901" --></font></td>

<td style="border-left-style: solid; border-left-width: 1; border-top-style: solid; border-top-width: 1; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-width: 1" width="177">
          <!--webbot bot="DatabaseResultColumn" s-columnnames="PlanID,Country,Plan Type,Provider,Summary Description,Eligibility,Contacts,Forms,Plan Detail,Info" s-column="Provider" b-tableformat="TRUE" b-hashtml="FALSE" b-makelink="FALSE" clientside b-MenuFormat preview="&lt;font size=&quot;-1&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&lt;/font&gt;Provider&lt;font size=&quot;-1&quot;&gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt;&lt;/font&gt;" startspan --><%=FP_FieldVal(fp_rs,"Provider")%><!--webbot bot="DatabaseResultColumn" endspan i-checksum="17269" --></font></td>
          <td style="border-left-style: solid; border-left-width: 1; border-top-style: solid; border-top-width: 1; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-width: 1" width="300">
          <!--webbot bot="DatabaseResultColumn" s-columnnames="PlanID,Country,Plan Type,Provider,Summary Description,Eligibility,Contacts,Forms,Plan Detail,Info" s-column="Summary Description" b-tableformat="TRUE" b-hashtml="FALSE" b-makelink="FALSE" clientside b-MenuFormat preview="&lt;font size=&quot;-1&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&lt;/font&gt;Summary Description&lt;font size=&quot;-1&quot;&gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt;&lt;/font&gt;" startspan --><%=FP_FieldVal(fp_rs,"Summary Description")%><!--webbot bot="DatabaseResultColumn" endspan i-checksum="54967" --></font></td>
          <td style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1" width="100">
          <!--webbot bot="DatabaseResultColumn" s-columnnames="PlanID,Country,Plan Type,Provider,Summary Description,Eligibility,Contacts,Forms,Plan Detail,Info" s-column="Info" b-tableformat="TRUE" b-hashtml="TRUE" b-makelink="FALSE" clientside b-MenuFormat preview="&lt;font size=&quot;-1&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&lt;/font&gt;Info&lt;font size=&quot;-1&quot;&gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt;&lt;/font&gt;" startspan --><%=FP_Field(fp_rs,"Info")%><!--webbot bot="DatabaseResultColumn" endspan i-checksum="2333" --></font></td>
        </tr>
        <!--webbot bot="DatabaseRegionEnd" b-tableformat="TRUE" b-menuformat="FALSE" u-dbrgn2="../../../_fpclass/fpdbrgn2.inc" i-groupsize="0" clientside tag="TBODY" preview="&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=64 bgcolor=&quot;#FFFF00&quot; width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;&lt;font color=&quot;#000000&quot;&gt;This is the end of a Database Results region.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;" startspan --><!--#include file="../../../_fpclass/fpdbrgn2.inc"-->
    <!--webbot bot="DatabaseRegionEnd" endspan i-checksum="9297" --></tbody>
    </table>
     this is the code in my asp page i am migrating from front page to expression web 4  i can't make any chages because of web bot is there any othere tool in expression wen that can replace this webbot can any one give me the syntax for this code to work in expression web 4 
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:18 PM
  • You can't use FP database webots other than in FP.

You need, as we have said, to recreate your database queries using a different method.  If your hosting account supports asp.net, look at the link Clark gave you.  This is a re-write situation.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:13 PM
  • And you would be surprised how easy it is.  It's actually easier than the webbots (if you use asp.net)

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:18 PM
  • Thanks a lot every one. Yes, I agree that this is a rewrite situation. Thanks for all your help. I will give it a shot and see.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:03 AM
  • This is some well-intentioned advice, not an admonishment, but before you "give it a shot," please do avail yourself of some training. Clark's tutorials ain't the fanciest in the world, but they're pretty damned good at demonstrating the principles you need to learn and understand before you embark upon re-creating a data management system in ASP.NET. They're also free, as in "free beer," so take advantage of them.

Clark's on the ball, and he's a regular here, so if you run into problems he can probably give you some good advice. Kathy, who also is a regular contributor, also has a fund of knowledge that will serve you well. And if/when you find yourself with questions that are inappropriate for this forum, there's also http://forums.asp.net.

In other words, don't hesitate to ask, but be aware that you are expected to do your part, and learn what's needed to get your chops, and that there may be times when you are referred to a more-specialized forum for assistance with a particular issue. FrontPage is long gone, and it's a new Web world out there, so be prepared to spend some time and invest some sweat in training to catch up. Good luck!

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:20 AM