none
ASPX database Control errors in Expression Web 4 on Windows 8 and 10 RRS feed

• Question

• error creating control- contentplaceholder1

object reference not set to an instance of an object

The error message I am getting when I run aspx page with Expression Web 4 on Windows 10.  Ran good on Windows 7.  Ran compatibility test on Windows 10 it said Expression Web 4 was incompatible with Windows 10, workaround did not work on Windows 10.  Any suggestions besides going to Visual Studio Community 13 and 15?  I like my Expression Web 4 Studio Ultimate and I like Windows 10.  I think there might be a problem with NET.4 and NET4.5, I also have Visual Studio 2013 on this computer.  I tried to download and install Net.4 and the installation program said it was installed with Windows 10?

Clifford Darrett

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:54 PM

Answers

• Ask EW to create one for the framework you are targeting.

File -> New Page -> Asp.Net -> [pick your Web Configuration file for the framework your hosted site is set to target]

Adding:  If this is an active, published site, check on your server.  They probably put a web.config file in your site root for you.  (Otherwise, the site runs with values from a machine level web.config.)  If so, be careful not to publish your own over it, unless you compare them and they are the same.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Conga Player Friday, April 15, 2016 12:15 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:25 PM

All replies

• Expression Web 4 is not incompatible with Windows 10. It runs just fine.

You need to dig deeper into what is actually not working.

Do you have a web.config in your site root?  You need one for asp.net controls to work in EW4.

Kathleen Wilber

• Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:58 PM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:57 PM
  • Kathy

Thanks for the quick reply, no I do not have a web config in my site root.  I am following a youtube video on using a database in Expression Web 4 (There was no mention of a web config file in the video and it is not shown).  What and how do you make a web config file in EW4?  A reference to a resource will be welcomed.  I am also using Chris Leeds "Step by Step" Microsoft Press book to use ASPX controls for database with EW4- no mention of a web config file in the site root?

Clifford Darrett

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:04 PM
  • Ask EW to create one for the framework you are targeting.

File -> New Page -> Asp.Net -> [pick your Web Configuration file for the framework your hosted site is set to target]

Adding:  If this is an active, published site, check on your server.  They probably put a web.config file in your site root for you.  (Otherwise, the site runs with values from a machine level web.config.)  If so, be careful not to publish your own over it, unless you compare them and they are the same.

Kathleen Wilber

• Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Conga Player Friday, April 15, 2016 12:15 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:25 PM
  • Thanks Kathy

I added Web Configuration 4.0 to my root and I have not had that error again.  But, I do have another problem:

In the Data Source Configuration Wizard, the data source type icons are: SQL Database, Site Map and XML File no Access Data Source Icon.  How do I get that icon to appear as a choice?

Clifford

Clifford Darrett

Friday, April 15, 2016 12:13 AM
  • See my answer on your other thread.

Kathleen Wilber

Friday, April 15, 2016 1:49 AM
  • Click web.config file in your website to edit it as follows: 

Change this code: 

<configuration>

<system.web>

<compilation defaultLanguage="c#"  />

</system.web>

</configuration>

To:

<configuration>

<system.web>

<compilation defaultLanguage="c#"  debug="false" targetFramework="4.0" />

</system.web>

</configuration>

Save your file and all should be ok. 
    Friday, April 26, 2019 1:05 PM
  • ExpressionGDH,

You are answering a question that has already been answered - three years ago.  Your answer also didn't apply: the original poster didn't have a web.config file at all, and all they needed to do is create one, not edit an existing one.

Please look at the dates, and the previous replies, before responding to a thread.  Generally, don't respond to old threads.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Saturday, April 27, 2019 9:30 PM
    Saturday, April 27, 2019 9:30 PM
  • I am in the same boat where I get the error any time I try to add a ASP.Net control to my aspx page in EW.  I created a Web Configuration 4.0 but I am thinking I am not saving it right.  I initial created several HTML pages on my E:/oncall/OnCallWeb and I put the Web Configuration in this path.  Should I have saved it somewhere else?
    Saturday, May 25, 2019 8:06 PM
  • Since we have no idea what your path is, all I can say is that the web.config needs to be in the root of your site. Also, it is far better to start a new thread than to add your question to an old post, which is marked answered, and not something that people will expect to have a new question.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, May 26, 2019 4:05 AM
    Sunday, May 26, 2019 4:03 AM