none
H.264-RTSP-stream as INPUT for Expression Encoder 4? RRS feed

• Question

• I get H.264 (from a RGB-Spectrum Encoder Box) via RTSP. How can I use this professional high quality as input signal for expression encoder 4?

Video Source is H.264 High Profile (Level 4.1), RTSP, Multicast UDP

All "work-arounds" with VLC to receive and transcode the H.264-stream and use a fake-Webcam-driver to connect to Expression Encoder are not stable or elegant in any way.

icomedias Austria - Germany
    Friday, December 17, 2010 11:53 AM

All replies

• Currently Encoder 4 doesn't support the direct encoding of video streams. It only supports devices registered through a DirectShow filter and media files that exist on storage. If you were to stream your video through a registered device or to a file then it would be possilbe to live encode.

Regards

Matt

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Hello Christian,

is there a workaroud with VLC or some other Software?

I have the same problem --> rtsp h264 Stream from a Axis IP Cam --> ??? --> Expression Encoder 4 Pro --> IIS output with Smooth Streaming.

Regards - Meik (Germany)

Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:32 PM
  • No workaround known to us at the moment, but maybe some users on the forum have a suggestion for you.
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Hello Christian.

We are currently producing live and archived smooth streams from Axis IP cameras.  In particular the P5534, P1311, P3344, Q1744, Q7404, Q7401.

We do this via the Smooth Streaming Format SDK.  We use the Axis Media Parser SDK to acquire and parse the H.264/AAC streams into their frames, feed them into the SSF SDK, take the output from this and negotiate and post the HTTP chunks to IIS Media 4.0.

To succeed in this effort, we had to become techonology adoption partners with Microsoft's IIS Media and Axis Development Program members (over a year ago).  The development effort took over six months and was fraught with work-arounds, bug fixes and re-writes.  We are proud of our achievement but it has been a very long road.

For many reasons, we did not use the Wowza Media Server.  But it does offer the functionality that you are looking for.  A caveat: a Microsoft evangelist recently pointed out that the smooth streaming client offered by Microsoft can only be used with IIS Media as a source for smooth streams - so be a bit wary about that.  It took me only a day or two to push smooth streams from our cameras to Wowza Media Server and to Silverlight clients.  But as I mentioned, this was not retained for several reasons. 

We are currently working on a vendor-independant solution for RTSP -> Smooth Streaming of H.264/AAC edge-encoded streams (IP cameras, IP encoding servers, etc).  That is, we will no longer be tied to axis cameras and their SDK.  While the AV module is only a small part of a larger commercial application, I am considering approaching our management to see if they might sell it as a spin-off product.  I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on such a product offering. 

Best of luck on your project.

Regards,

Nick (Canada)

Monday, February 21, 2011 1:32 AM
  • Did anything ever come if this?  Is anyone taking the h.264/aac streams and directing it straight to IIS7?
    Monday, June 13, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Hey Nick,

I have seen you post about this product that your company created here and on the IIS forum.

Do you actually have a product released?

If not, are you looking for anyone to test your product before you release it?

We have been looking for months for something which does what you describe you can do.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:00 AM
  • Isn't there a missing step here.  My understanding of the smooth streaming format SDK is that it just handles packaging the content into smooth streaming chunks.  Unless you are re encoding somewhere in there how are you producing multiple bitrates?
    Friday, July 29, 2011 9:19 AM