none
FTP to FTPS RRS feed

• Question

• I was using 1and1 for hosting and they recently required FTPS. I had been using FTP to update my website.

When I clicked 'Open Site' I tried changing ftp://website.com to ftps://website.com and this didn't seem to work.

I believe I need to also point it to a different host server under 'Publishing Settings', but this is grayed out unless I have a website open (which I can't because I can't access it). I always just make changes to the live copy.

Any help on how I can now access my website through FTPS?

Friday, June 23, 2017 6:18 PM

Answers

• Really, you should stop trying to edit the live site.

Download the entire site to your computer, and then open and update that local site, and test all your changes by previewing in your browser(s).

Then ftp the changed pages back to your live site.

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls
    My recommended web hosting company: RDOServers

• Marked as answer by KJ592 Thursday, June 29, 2017 4:26 AM
    Saturday, June 24, 2017 12:46 PM
  • Use EW to create a new, empty website on your PC.  Set up a publishing destination for that site that has the ftps credentials for your hosted site.    Connect.    If you can't connect, or you are not connecting at the correct directory level (you should see your home page on the right hand side, without having to go up or down directories to find it), work with your hosting provider until you have the correct credentials.

Then I strongly advise you to copy all the files down to your local site and use the far better practice of making changes to your local site, previewing them in multiple browsers until you are sure your changes are correct, and then publishing the changes to your live site.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Sunday, June 25, 2017 8:16 PM
  • You really should take Clark's and Kathy's advice. Doing so will help you to avoid just this kind of situation in the future. Plus, in the event of a catastrophic server failure (they happen: not often, but they do happen), you have a backup copy. Also, when editing live, if you screw up, it's out there live on the Web until you notice and fix it, and if you really hose things, until you figure out what you need to do to fix it.

By following development best practices and creating/editing content locally, then testing in all target browsers, and only then uploading, you know everything's going to work, and you always hae the most current version of your site available, and can back it up to an external device for safety.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:18 PM

All replies

• Really, you should stop trying to edit the live site.

Download the entire site to your computer, and then open and update that local site, and test all your changes by previewing in your browser(s).

Then ftp the changed pages back to your live site.

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls
    My recommended web hosting company: RDOServers

Saturday, June 24, 2017 12:46 PM
  • Use EW to create a new, empty website on your PC.  Set up a publishing destination for that site that has the ftps credentials for your hosted site.    Connect.    If you can't connect, or you are not connecting at the correct directory level (you should see your home page on the right hand side, without having to go up or down directories to find it), work with your hosting provider until you have the correct credentials.

Then I strongly advise you to copy all the files down to your local site and use the far better practice of making changes to your local site, previewing them in multiple browsers until you are sure your changes are correct, and then publishing the changes to your live site.

Kathleen Wilber

Sunday, June 25, 2017 8:16 PM
  • You really should take Clark's and Kathy's advice. Doing so will help you to avoid just this kind of situation in the future. Plus, in the event of a catastrophic server failure (they happen: not often, but they do happen), you have a backup copy. Also, when editing live, if you screw up, it's out there live on the Web until you notice and fix it, and if you really hose things, until you figure out what you need to do to fix it.

By following development best practices and creating/editing content locally, then testing in all target browsers, and only then uploading, you know everything's going to work, and you always hae the most current version of your site available, and can back it up to an external device for safety.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:18 PM
  • Clark, Kathy, and Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will give this a shot tomorrow. Also thanks for the general advise. Much appreciated.

Kelly

Thursday, June 29, 2017 4:28 AM
  • Dear Forum Readers,

I have been trying for a week now to use sFTP to publish my site on 1and1.  In order to make the hacking of websites more difficult, 1and1 has migrated to Secure FTP.  This is a good thing!  However, EW-4, does not allow you to transmit the parameters 1and1 requires.  I have had many conversations with their technical support people and elevated it to the highest level they allow.  They are nice people and gave this issue many hours of their time, but could come up with no solution.  EW-4 is old and unsupported so they have done everything they could do.  As an old software company owner and programmer, I cannot blame them.

So...  The only work-around is to use EW-4 to edit the site and use a "naked" FTP program (I use WinSCP) to publish.  It is more work, but it gets the job done.  If anyone has found a solution, I and 1and1 would love to hear about it.

Cheers,

Bob

Robert Schuldenfrei bob@s-i-inc.com

Saturday, July 22, 2017 2:16 PM
  • I am curious - what parameters do they require that EW can't transmit, but your other FTP program can?  Now, it's certainly true that EW's understanding of ftps or sftp (two different things, by the way, and you've mentioned them both: see https://www.smartfile.com/blog/sftp-vs-ftps-the-secure-file-transfer-methods-battle-it-out/) is frozen in time at its last release, so what you say is certainly possible.

Kathleen Wilber

Monday, July 24, 2017 2:47 PM