none
Bug in Web Expression 2 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I seem to have found a bug in Web Expression 2. It may have been noted before, but I cant find any information with searches.
    I am running Web Expression 2, part of the Expressions Studio 2 Package.
    I am running Windows Vista Business Edition.

The bug causes Web Expression 2 to stop responding and crash.

To cause the crash:
    Open Web Expression 2 and create a new css page.
    Type:

<!-- 
    .navtable 

any 8 character string starting with nav, typed after <!-- causes a crash.
    It is possible to type anything at all, and then at the end put <!-- at the start of the document. This does not cause a crash, but any subsequent editing of the text block will cause a crash.

Does anyone know how of if I should report this bug??

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:04 PM

All replies

• File a bug report at connect.microsoft.com/expression
    Take a chance. Prepare to be surprised.
    • Edited by Oliver Black Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:09 PM edit
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:09 PM
  • mathewlyons said:

I seem to have found a bug in Web Expression 2. It may have been noted before, but I cant find any information with searches.
    I am running Web Expression 2, part of the Expressions Studio 2 Package.
    I am running Windows Vista Business Edition.

The bug causes Web Expression 2 to stop responding and crash.

To cause the crash:
    Open Web Expression 2 and create a new css page.
    Type:

<!-- 
    .navtable 

any 8 character string starting with nav, typed after <!-- causes a crash.
    It is possible to type anything at all, and then at the end put <!-- at the start of the document. This does not cause a crash, but any subsequent editing of the text block will cause a crash.

Does anyone know how of if I should report this bug??

OK, this may be a silly question, but why are you using HTML comment tags in a CSS page?

Comments in a CSS page use /* This is a comment */ tags, not HTML <!-- This is a comment --> tags. Granted, I see no reason why an invalid comment tag in a .css file should completely crash EW2, but if you wish to employ comments in your CSS pages while the bug is being addressed, try using the correct comment tags.

cheers,
    scott

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Why are you using <!--  in a CSS file?

FrontPage MVP
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:50 PM
  • I have to admit I was astonished to find that, yes, indeed, a CSS file with an HTML comment followed by .navtable will hang EW2, rather than, say, indicate a parsing error.  Luckily, as Scott and Steve point out, for practical purposes it's not something that should ever come up.
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:04 AM
  • I don't know how I ended up putting the HTML comment tags in a CSS page, I know theyre not used in CSS. It was just interesting that it crashed WE2 completely!!
    Friday, September 5, 2008 3:38 PM
  • mathewlyons said:

I don't know how I ended up putting the HTML comment tags in a CSS page, I know theyre not used in CSS. It was just interesting that it crashed WE2 completely!!

Just keep in mind the stale old radio joke:

"Hey, Doctor, my shoulder hurts when I do this."

"Well, then, don't do that. That will be ten dollars, please."

Yes, it's interesting, and I, too, am surprised that it occurs. Still, it's not the most earth-shattering issue with EW by a long shot (my current vote for most irritating is the lack of image thumbnails in the Insert Image dialog), and is easily avoided simply by... writing proper CSS comments.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Friday, September 5, 2008 5:46 PM