none
Server cannot accept argument (501)

Question

• Problem:
    In Expression Web 4 under Site View - Publishing I add a connection to the server that stores the website I am editing.  All info is correctly typed in and when I try to connect I get 'Server cannot accept argument (501).', but when I create a connection with FileZilla with the exact same info, I am able to connect and edit files.

Goal:
    I wish to use FTP in Expression Web instead of FileZilla for this server.

Cheers, Ben

Friday, August 02, 2013 4:33 PM

Answers

• Are your settings for passive or active correct?

And, while you say your entries are all correct, we can't verify that, not knowing what you entered in each field.

Try posting all the entries for your Publishing destination.  Obviously, replace any password with **** and any username with ****, since you would not post those to the web!

Beyond that you are into port/firewall/router issues.  Other EW users can't really debug those for you.

• Marked as answer by ViralStepUp Friday, August 02, 2013 6:04 PM
    Friday, August 02, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Googling that error indicates that it may be triggered by the mode (active/passive) you are using . Check to make sure that you are using the same mode in EW that you are using in FileZilla.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, August 02, 2013 5:27 PM

All replies

• Are your settings for passive or active correct?

And, while you say your entries are all correct, we can't verify that, not knowing what you entered in each field.

Try posting all the entries for your Publishing destination.  Obviously, replace any password with **** and any username with ****, since you would not post those to the web!

Beyond that you are into port/firewall/router issues.  Other EW users can't really debug those for you.

Friday, August 02, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Googling that error indicates that it may be triggered by the mode (active/passive) you are using . Check to make sure that you are using the same mode in EW that you are using in FileZilla.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, August 02, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Thank you, Kathy, and, Scott, for your replies.  The solution was to change FTP to Passive in EW4, though I had tried it previously and it didn't work for some reason which resulted in my confusion.  It works now so thank you both very much.

Cheers
    Ben

Cheers, Ben

Friday, August 02, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Just thought I'd add this to an old thread for people out there that were stuck like me.

I have been spinning my wheels for over an hour with this same problem but in Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate.  Turn passive on/off - no difference. 

It wasn't until I restarted Visual Studio that the passive mode setting actually took affect.  Perhaps that was the issue for you in EW4?

Joe

Wednesday, October 01, 2014 2:26 AM
  • Yup... you have to restart EW4 before passive takes effect.

As an aside... such a shame that Microsoft discontinued this product.  It's a wonderful teaching tool.  I tried switching to Dreamweaver, then to Brackets but students get lost in the complexity.  So, I've gone back to EW4 for our first two Web courses.  I can teach 50% more content than I could with either Dreamweaver or Brackets, students do better on their exams and projects and emerge from the courses with far more confidence.  It is a wonderful platform for promoting STEM, particularly among women.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:08 PM
  • I have to agree with you 100%. I have owned Dreamweaver since MX 2004, and have had every CS version since CS2. But, that is because it came along for the ride with the entire suite that I was interested in (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, etc.). The only time I fire up DW now is on the (increasingly rare) occasions when I wish to use an extension not available to EW. I say increasingly rare because of the proliferation of jQuery solutions and, in some cases, CSS-only solutions that negate the need to use a DW extension.

EW is elegantly designed, making available for those who wish to use them a plethora of visual tools, such as the style manager, property inspector, specialized toolbars, toolbox, etc. Meanwhile, as users become more proficient and comfortable writing code, and for us old-hand keyboard jockeys, EW's excellent Intellisense code completion and extensible code snippet library, as well as real-time compatibility checking, makes hand-coding both HTML markup and CSS a fast and easy process. That same feature also makes it easier for neophytes to become familiar with the syntax and attributes of markup and CSS.

EW simply makes me more productive, and I can easily see how it would promote the learning of Web development far more than the available alternatives. Shame on Microsoft for abandoning it and not open-sourcing it.

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:16 PM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:05 PM
  • Ditto that it is a shame Microsoft discontinued development on EW.  On the plus side, that means that the last version of EW4 is completely free for you and your students. And, given that the web hasn't really changed since EW4 came out, you can still continue using it for a long time.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:58 AM