none
problems with Japanese pathnames and sftp publishing RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a Japanese web site, UTF-8 encoded files on Windows 7 with support for displaying Japanese. The directory names are in Japanese, as are the file names. Everything works fine locally with IIS7.

I can publish my web site using the File System connection type to a networked drive on another Windows server (OS/filesystem currently unknown).

However, I am unable to publish my web site using the SFTP connection type to a server that I have tested for support of Japanese pathnames (Windows 2003 with Japanese display support added). When using the Expression Web 4 Site View (local panel + remote panel), it appears as if the first necessary directory is created (it displays in the remote panel, but it doesn't actually get created on the server), but then I get a dialog:

"Failed to change directory to 2007年: No such file; No such directory. [OK]"

(that's a Japanese character for 'year' after '2007', in case it doesn't display properly here)

Upon acknowledgement, the previously apparently created directory disappears from the remote panel.

Thoughts, anyone? Many thanks.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:54 PM

All replies

• To say that this is esoteric would be to understate the case dramatically. I've been working with EW for four years now, in Web development for fifteen or sixteen years, and with DOS-based file systems since MS-DOS 3.1, and I have never encountered a combination of factors anything like this.

I rather suspect that I am not alone in that, unfortunately. I wish you good luck in finding a resolution, but I really doubt that you will find one here. Sorry.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:06 PM
  • I doubt other EW users in an English language forum (which is what we are) can help you.  Japanese language websites produced by users here may be limited to yours.  Other than asking MS support - see the "Forum Guidelines - Start Here" post for how to find that - I have no suggestions other than the obvious:  Try publishing with a different FTP program and see if that gets around the issue.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Actually we have a Japanese Expression Web MVP.

I just emailed her a link to this thread

Hopefully she'll check it.

Expression Web MVP

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:20 PM
  • I sent a not to Yoshie Kohama - Expression Web MVP from Japan asking her to stop by.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:28 PM
  • I have a question. Why do you have to use Japanese pathname on a website?

I never use that way actually. In that case, we just set "2007" instead of "2007年"

And, there are few web servers that supporting Japanese pathname. As far as I know, most web hosting servers are not supported.

I hope my post will help you.

Thanks!

Yoshie Kohama (Expression Web MVP from JP)

• Edited by wanichan Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:12 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ashidacchi Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:11 PM
  • One of the strange jobs I've had in the past couple of years is to update aWordPress-based Spanish-language website that covers major league baseball in the US. I don't speak Spanish enough to get in and out of Taco Bell without an interpreter, but fortunately the site structure is all in English, including all path names.

I can't imagine why one would do it all in another language. English is the lingua franca of the Web. Most hosts are set up only to run English language packs on their servers. Even hosting companies in Singapore (do not get me started on that one!) are in English (the large one I have had to rescue clients from, anyway).

You may have to search far and wide to find a host that can accommodate your site. I'd change it.

Titanic, the movie, as CSS:

@mixin iceberg {
         float: none;
    }

#titanic {
         @include iceberg;
    }

Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:12 AM
  • I think some of you are missing that the OP said his host DOES support japanese pathing. To wit:

"a server that I have tested for support of Japanese pathnames"

What doesn't support it appears to be EW's publishing via FTP.  I don't know on which end that is failing: EW's end or the host's end.  But trying to publish with another FTP client might answer that.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:15 AM
  • Even if the server does support Japanese pathname, I think we should use English only, without Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana, etc.
    I don't know why you are sticking to Japanese pathname.

Maybe it is "by design" on Expression Web.

ExpressionTech.jp - for all Japanese Expression users
    Website | Facebook Page

• Edited by wanichan Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:54 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:35 AM
  • Well, the question still arises—even if you can find a server which supports it, why should you? I mean, what is the point? Is there some kind of project requirement for Japanese pathnames?

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:57 AM
  • Whoops. You're right, Kathy. I did miss the OP's statement about the server support for Japanese. Still can't figure out the point of doing it, though.

Titanic, the movie, as CSS:

@mixin iceberg {
         float: none;
    }

#titanic {
         @include iceberg;
    }

Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:36 AM
  • Hi everyone - many thanks for your interest in my problem.

Quite simply, the reason for the japanese pathnames is for user-friendly URLs and the small SEO advantage. Search engines tend to embolden keywords that appear in the abstract and the URL which draws the searcher's eye to the result. In addition, where the URL is simply quoted in text, the URL sometimes becomes link text automatically, so your keyword becomes associated with the linked page, which improves the page's performance for that keyword in search engines.

As KathW2 points out, both development machine and server are set up for Japanese and that the problem seems to be with publishing with SFTP via the client built into EW. I wondered if anyone else had come across this?

I can get around the problem by zipping up the offending files and unzipping them at the destination, but I have found EW's publication mechanism to be fast and intuitive for English (and French and Dutch) pathnames (which use extended ASCII characters that are supported without language packs), so it would be a pity to not have the same mechanism here.

Thanks again, everyone.

Chris

Friday, May 18, 2012 8:24 AM
  • UPDATE

Transferring the files with Filezilla/SFTP worked fine, which suggests that the problem is with the EW SFTP client (interestingly the WinSCP client that is based upon PuTTY seems to make a similar hash of the job too). I'll try to escalate this problem to MS support.

Friday, May 18, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Filezilla/SFTP worked fine
    Well, it appeared to, at least - but in fact it didn't. Testing and closer inspection showed that the path was different to how it appeared in the FileZilla client, and was messed up.
    Friday, May 18, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Might be the host's end of the FTP client that can't support it.  Or... who knows?  :)
    Friday, May 18, 2012 2:22 PM
  • "the reason for the japanese pathnames is for user-friendly URLs and the small SEO advantage. "

This is not the point, I think. not the pathname but heading tags.

If you are still sticking to that way, unfortunately Expression Web does not support for publishing feature.

To publish some files like that, needs to encode for the pathnames too, otherwise the pathnames are scrambled.

ExpressionTech.jp - for all Japanese Expression users
    Website | Facebook Page

Friday, May 18, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Hi Chris Peckham,

I agree with wanichan (Yoshie Kohama). I suppose you should use ASCII pathname, instead of Japanese.
    We can use language of Japanese, Chinese, Korean (and so on) in our web site, but I never use Japanese character for file name, directory name.

Please explain why you want to use Japanese characters for pathname.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

• Edited by Ashidacchi Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 6, 2017 11:59 PM
  • Hokusosha-san - you may not have noticed the post by Chris is over 5 years old, and he has not returned to this forum for years. Do not anticipate hearing a reply.

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls
    My recommended web hosting company: RDOServers

• Proposed as answer by Ashidacchi Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:48 PM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:40 PM
  • @ClarkNK,

Thank you very much for your information.
    I've just seen his/her activities, and found the fact you informed.
    It's too sad to be heard nothing from OP...

Regards, 

Ashidacchi

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:36 PM