none
Looking for some cheap assistance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. My site mostly runs on volunteer power, but it's hard to find people who know either Frontpage or Expression Web...  I'm willing to pay a small amount per month. If you would like to volunteer or help me out, please email me suzanne@tvmegasite.net

Please see a more detailed description at

https://www.freelancer.com/projects/website-design/Use-Expression-Web-Frontpage-help/#/details

Thanks!

Suzanne

Saturday, January 13, 2018 8:04 PM

All replies

• You listing says both " I need someone to do a lot of copying, pasting, renaming, and moving of files within the site every weekend." and " I don't want to pay more than $35 per month."

You will not get any responses for that, expect from people in extremely low cost regions.   You are offering pretty much nothing for a lot of hours of work.

Have you considered learning how to do this yourself?

I should warn you that relying on FrontPage Extensions means your site will eventually break.  Very few hosts offer those anymore, since they were dropped by Microsoft years ago, and don't run on modern servers.  The day will come when you hosting company drops them.  Many have had that experience, and the drop sometimes comes with no warning.  This means your site needs to be rewritten to no longer need them, at some point, if you use them for anything other than publishing.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Saturday, January 13, 2018 9:01 PM
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 9:00 PM
  • You can get free assistance all right.  Right here, that is.

You can post questions about some particular technical problem you are having and someone here will most likely help you solve that problem.  No charge. Totally free.

But as Kathy said, you won't find anyone to do your work for you, maintain and update your site for you, for $35 per month.

Speaking of free assistance, Kathy has already given you some very good advice -- ditch Frontpage and it's extensions before it's too late and you are left high and dry. Here's some more: when re-do your site  ditch the use of frames also.  And (just guessing) there might be better search engine optimization techniques then having over 300 keywords in a meta tag.

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls
    My recommended web hosting company: RDOServers

Sunday, January 14, 2018 9:22 PM
  • Oh, yes: keywords in metatags haven't been used by search engines in many years, because people used them to game the system.  Search engines that still read them use them more as a negative signal: abusing them hurts you, using them doesn't help you worth the bother; they don't encourage you to use them.  The actual words in the page are what matters - as well as title and description tags.  Just drop the keyword tag, completely.  It's pretty much wasted bandwidth.

Kathleen Wilber

Sunday, January 14, 2018 10:29 PM
  • Kathleen,

I know how to do it. It's just a very large site, so I can't do everything. I've had hundreds of volunteers on my site over the years (been doing this many years).  It's hard to find people who know these programs, though. What I need actually only takes a few hours per week. I had a wonderful woman helping me out with this particular job and some other things on the site, working full time, for many years, but she had to cut back her hours because she's helping to take care of her daughter's new baby.  Before her, there was another great woman that helped me until she had health problems and had to quit.  That's what happens with volunteers, and, well, probably with all workers at some point. But if you use volunteers, then it's a lot harder to find people. Our site doesn't make much money, though, so I can't afford to hire people or even pay myself. The paltry amount made by our site via ads goes back into it for hosting and domain fees. I pay quite a lot out of my own pocket.

I have a very good host, and I believe he will stick with me as long as we can (we host on a Unix server).  If/when that day ever comes that he can't host it any more, or I can't get either program to work with Windows, then I will have to switch to something else. I don't have time right now to learn a new program and change over the hundreds of thousands of pages, though, so....

Suzanne, The TV MegaSite

Friday, January 19, 2018 12:04 AM
  • Clark, I wasn't asking for someone to do all that, that you suggested. Just a little bit of work, a few hours per week. There are about 50 pages that need to be copied, renamed and moved every weekend, and a few other small things done.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Funny how people here are so down on Frontpage Extensions when Expression Web uses them, too....

Suzanne, The TV MegaSite

Friday, January 19, 2018 12:07 AM
  • Are you volunteering to take them out of the pages on my site? I have over a hundred thousand ;)  And I have way higher priorities.

I really don't care about SEO and all that. Although my site is technically a business, the main focus has always been content. Content is king. If you write it, they will come. I'm mostly interested in having a site with useful information than I am about making money. Also, my site's been around a very long time, so we have pretty good Google placement already.

Suzanne, The TV MegaSite

Friday, January 19, 2018 12:09 AM
  • Expression Web only included them to support old FrontPage originating sites.  It's not that *we* are down on them, it's that Microsoft itself stopped supporting them many years ago, and that most hosts don't support them anymore, so it's risky for anyone to continue counting on them.

Kathleen Wilber

Friday, January 19, 2018 1:14 AM
  • For volunteers, you would probably need to look among people who find your site compelling, or who have a personal knowledge and like of you and want to help you.   (The volunteer site work I do is only for friends and family.  Everyone else pays me a normal US rate for an Asp.Net programmer and SQL database expert.  : )  )

Kathleen Wilber

Friday, January 19, 2018 1:21 AM