none
Screencapture and Webcam at same stime

Question

• Hello,

How can I capture my desktop screen and place a webcam screen in de lower right corner at the same time?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:59 AM

All replies

• Good morning Johan.

What you're trying to accomplish requires the use of both the screen capture utility and the Expression Encoder.

1.) With your webcam already attached to the PC, start the screen capture utility

2.) Click the configure control (gear icon) and switch to the camera tab. Select the webcam you want to capture from

3.) Define the area of your screen you want to capture and hit the record button

4.) Open the directory to which you've saved your capture

5.) Start the Expression Encoder and import the .xecs file as your file source e.g. ScreenCapture_3-15-2010 11.08.03 AM.xesc

6.) Go to the Enhance tab and select Add Overlay.  Import the webcam capture file e.g. Webcam_3-15-2010 11.08.03 AM.wmv as your overlay.  It’s at this time you can position the overlay anywhere you'd like.

7.) Customize the job if you choose then click Encode

The resultant video will contain both your screen capture and the overlay

Monday, March 15, 2010 6:17 PM
  • So I cannot do this in one step?

Step 1 - capture the webcam

Step 2 - capture the screen

Step 3 - add webcam capture to screencapture

Is this correct?

I hope not, because, how can I let the timing be synchronized between webcam and screen?

Monday, March 22, 2010 1:37 PM
  • JohanNL:

If you are talking about you want to see your webcam capture on the screen (lower right side) while you are capturing.  That's not supported in Expression Encoder Screen Capture.  However, if you are only talking about the output.  You can

1.select "use webcam capture as overlay" in Settings->Others.  
    2.add webcam to your screen capture session
    3.start capture
    4.stop capture
    5.import the screen capture job to encoder using the encoder icon on preview window or main window.

The webcam capture will be shown as an overlay and then you can put it at the lower right side of the capture.

Monday, March 22, 2010 5:24 PM
  • So I do all of that.   The webcam icon is shown as active and I can see that the camera is working.  It still doesn't transfer over when i send it to the encoder program.   Any ideas?

Saturday, August 26, 2017 4:12 AM
  • Umm... did you happen to note the date of the last post in this thread? It's SEVEN AND A HALF YEARS old. MS abandoned EE in 2011, and there have been zero EE MVPs since, nor have any MS employees or moderators been visiting the forum since that time. If you are actually expecting anyone who took part above to actually answer your question, I would put the odds at vanishingly small that they would do so. Could be wrong, but I kinda doubt it. Good luck...  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Saturday, August 26, 2017 11:30 PM