none
Expression Web and Bootstrap - looking for tips... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    I've only just started moving to responsive web sites (way behind the times, I know!) and have been playing with Twitter's Bootstrap framework. I have previously looked at Zurb's Foundation but think I'll be going with Bootstrap.

As it's only CSS etc. EW4 all works fine as an IDE but is let down in Design view as it doesn't 'understand' the RWD view so doesn't display things correctly. So working in Code view is fine (viewing the saved page in a separate browser) and Design view can still be used to some extent - but I just thought I would ask in case I'm missing something and things can be improved?

Has anyone any tips for using EW4 with Bootstrap or any responsive layout to make the process better?

Thanks.
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 8:56 AM

All replies

• Since EW can only display one thing in Design View, and responsive design means displaying different things at different browser widths, often hiding, showing, moving or resizing things, there is no way EW's Design View can be completely useful with a responsive design.

EW Design View also has no idea what media queries for different sizes means, and of course, can't run JavaScript (bootstrap uses JavaScript).

In short, Design View is not a browser, and to see the effect of responsive design, you need a browser.

Keep your browser preview open, and just accept that Design View is minimally useful for responsive design.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Friday, September 6, 2019 12:48 AM
  • Hi Kathleen,
    You've basically repeated what I said :)
    NB. Bootstrap doesn't use JS if you choose just to use the basic grid CSS.

I thought I would ask just in case someone who's using EW+Bootstrap has any tips they can pass on...
    Friday, September 6, 2019 1:11 PM
  • What tips would you expect?  Design View is what it is.  What you see is not going to change with any "tips".

Kathleen Wilber

Friday, September 6, 2019 6:46 PM
  • What tips would you expect?  Design View is what it is.  What you see is not going to change with any "tips".

Kathleen Wilber

LOL!
    I said "I thought I would ask just in case..."
    IT'S HARD TO SAY WHAT TIPS OTHERS MAY HAVE, THAT'S WHY I'M ASKING!!!

I've learnt things here that some of the 'regulars' say couldn't be done...

Please don't feel as if you HAVE to reply to every post if you can't add any value - you could come across as spammy as you always include your website link ;)

• Edited by Badger_UK Sunday, September 8, 2019 5:12 PM
    Sunday, September 8, 2019 5:12 PM
  • I am not spamming.  And I still don't understand why you think a "tip" would change Design View.

Kathleen Wilber

Monday, September 9, 2019 1:20 AM
  • I have also been moving an old EW site to a new responsive design. I found WordPress makes it very easy to develop mobile friendly responsive sites with little programming knowledge needed. But importing static html files into the WP database is proving to be a challenge. I guess there is no perfect solution, just tons of alternative options all with their own pros and cons.
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 5:45 PM