none
unable to create a Hyperlink in Microsoft Expression Web 4 after upgrading the computer to Windows 10. RRS feed

• Question

• The option to create a hyperlink in MS Expression Web 4 is dithered after installing Win10 and Win360. Can anyone advise me what to do now. Use the program for a club's website. Probably an outdated program. Thank you. 
    Saturday, August 10, 2019 1:26 PM

All replies

• What is "Win360" - never heard of it.  If you mean Office 365, then EW4 has no connection to Microsoft Office at all and runs independently.

I assume you open a 'site' before you open the pages within the site.  How are you actually trying to create the link?  Are you editing "live", or locally and then publishing changed pages?

You could always go into the code view, and create the links there using the code like below - change the "href" part for the link to the file you want to create.

<a href="path-to-your-file">this is the link</a>

By "option to create hyperlink is dithered" I assume you mean greyed-out/not selectable?

If there is an issue, can you try a repair-install - from the "Programs and Features" in Control Panel (I don't know the correct term in Windows 10).  It was "Programs and Features" in Windows 7.  Anyway, you should see the list of install applications, if you right click it may show you a "repair install" option. 

Otherwise, I expect you can reinstall EW4 entirely from the installation media, or from the download link, get the free one, and you don't need your CD-Key or any other sort of license code.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=36179

Andrew M

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)

• Edited by AndrewOZ1 Sunday, August 11, 2019 8:21 AM clarification and additional info
    Sunday, August 11, 2019 8:16 AM
  • "The option to create a hyperlink in MS Expression Web 4 is dithered after installing Win10"

"Dithered" is not a menu command in EW4, or a description of what exactly you've done.  (You can make hyperlinks several different ways in EW4.)

Tell us exactly, step by menu step, what you do, from opening your site to trying to make a link.

The only hyperlink problem identified in EW4 with Win 10 turned out to be a problem if you have GodMode set up as well. In that case using the insert hyperlink wizard (select text in Design View, click on the "Insert Hyperlink" menu icon) would actually crash EW4. If you do have GodMode, delete it.  (You may be able to reinstall it afterwards, if you like, but your mileage may vary.  I found it to be hit or miss whether it would again break EW's insert hyperlink wizard.)

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, August 11, 2019 6:05 PM
    Sunday, August 11, 2019 3:00 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. I will see if I can do the code. Yes to dithered and yes to WIN365. 
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:45 PM
  • Editing locally and then saving to upload.....
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:46 PM
  • While you can certainly just do it in code, you still haven't told us what the original problem was.  As I said, "dithered" doesn't describe anything.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:14 AM