none
Microsoft Expression 4 opens a blank page after running an HTML5 document

Question

• Hi

I built a very very simple HTML5 and Java script document using Microsoft Expression 4.

I also have IE version 11.228 7 Windows 10 running in my Laptop. I am following the chapters and sample exercises of a

book by Mike  McGrath " Java Script" 5th edition.

If I use the  MS Expression 4 to build and run  the files, IE opens a blank page.  Whereas when I download the exercises from the author's website and open them with MS Expression, It works fine and website is loaded.

Allow active content to run in files in my  computer is box is checked too.

I found out when I copy the HTML file from the author's book and use the java script file that  I built, the website

will be loaded.

Please help.

Thx.

Shervin

Sunday, September 9, 2018 3:39 AM

All replies

• You are assuming someone else read that book and knows what exercise you were following.  Other than that, we have to assume that the downloaded files that work are correct, and either the written book or your following of the instructions (either one) is wrong.  It would be up to you to compare the two sets of files and find the difference.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, September 9, 2018 4:46 AM
    Sunday, September 9, 2018 4:43 AM
  • My source codes are exactly like downloaded files.  Yet when saved and run using

MS Expression 4,  "using different  browsers",  a blank page opens. I have gone through each and every single line checking for errors  and syntax errors and   found nothing different than author's samples.

This is what I typed:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>

<html lang="en">

<head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <title>Try Catch Statement</title>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="trycatch.js"></script>
    </head>

<body>
    <div id="panel"></div>
    </body>

</html>

And this what is in the book:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>

<html lang="en">

<head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <title>Try Catch Statement</title>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="trycatch.js"></script>
    </head>

<body>
    <div id="panel"></div>
    </body>

</html>

As you see there is no difference between my source codes and the books.

Only when I created it, opens as a blank page.

Thx

Sunday, September 9, 2018 6:17 AM
  • The page you have written is blank.  I assume the JavaScript file is supposed to do something, and put the results on the page, but i have no idea what.  Although you reference it, it's not called anywhere. Do you have that JavaScript file, and is it in the same folder as the page?  How is it called?

You said the files you downloaded work, but now it's not clear if you meant what I thought you did.  Do the downloaded files behave any differently from the ones you wrote?

(In menu Site -> Site Settings, set Preview options to use EW's server on all pages.  That will fix any active content issues with IE, and will also correctly preview asp.net or php pages linked to from static pages.)

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Sunday, September 9, 2018 5:35 PM