Expression Web 4 SP2 Now Available RRS feed

All replies

• Thanks for the notification. What a strange file name for this update: "WebSP2_Trial_en.exe" compared to the SP1 name: "Web4SP1_en.exe" - is this SP2 a final, beta or RC? Regards, GEWB
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:02 PM
  • This is the final release.

Jim Cheshire -- Microsoft
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:46 PM
  • WebSP2_Trial_de.exe is not installed, the installer will asks for the file Web_de.msi, this was not found, aborted the setup.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:48 PM
  • I'm getting the same error

Unable to find specified file

Web_en.msi

Search paths:

C:/10ed2edfdd7763d5\Setup.

I have SP1 installed so I don't know what could be causing SP2 to fail.

Thank Bill

I fixed problem by uninstalling and reinstalling software. I had cleared my temp folder and read in another thread that someone did the same and fixed by this method.
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:28 PM
  • I had a similiar problem the first time I tried to install. Disabled my antivirus (Norton Internet Security 2011) and installation when smooth as silk.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:54 PM
  • This SP2 is not working for me.  For one thing, you cannot change the LOCATION of where it installs.  I installed my WE4 on another drive, and need to point the SP2 to that location.  The installer has the LOCATION grayed out (disabled).  Hopefully, another SP2 will come out with that corrected.  
    m d savilla

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:49 PM
  • This SP2 is not working for me.  For one thing, you cannot change the LOCATION of where it installs.  I installed my WE4 on another drive, and need to point the SP2 to that location.  The installer has the LOCATION grayed out (disabled).  Hopefully, another SP2 will come out with that corrected.  
    m d savilla

I'm using Windows 7 and also have SP1 installed.

SP2 installation keeps aborting for different reaons each time, specifying I have "insufficient privelages".

Looks like a bug to me !

Perhaps that's why it is still named trial ?

Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:57 PM
  • FYI, "trial" in the name of the file has no impact on users. SP2 is a patch file that updates your existing installation of Expression Web 4. If you have a licensed copy installed, it will still be licensed after SP2 installation.

Geezer, can you provide more details about your issue? Please provide the exact error message you see so that we can help you.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:57 PM
  • I believe that the SP2 install merely unpacks an MSP that patches your existing install, in which case, the location doesn't really matter. I am verifying that with our product group on this and will post back with what I find out.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Jim, that would be great if you could find out.  I didn't want to mess up the current WE4 with SP1 by attempting an update that doesn't specify how it installs. 
    m d savilla
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:04 PM
  • === Logging stopped: 21/07/2011  19:05:56 ===
    19:04:27 21 July 2011: Info: Config_Products_InstallNew: Product: Microsoft Expression Web 4 Service Pack 2 Params: g:\158c46c5f1992243374968ff0b81\Setup\WebSP2_en.msp ADDLOCAL=ALL REINSTALL="**********" REINSTALLMODE="**********" MSIUNINSTALLSUPERSEDEDCOMPONENTS="**********" PATCHINSTALLARPENTRY="**********" INSTALLLICENSES="**********" APPID="**********" APPID="**********" ARPNOMODIFY="**********" ARPNOREPAIR="**********" USERACCEPTSEULA="**********"
    19:04:57 21 July 2011: An error occurred installing the WebSP2_en.msi package. Error: Error writing to file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Web 4\msproof6.dll.   Verify that you have access to that directory..
    19:05:56 21 July 2011: Error: Config_Products_Install: Installation of Product Microsoft Expression Web 4 Service Pack 2 (failed): Fatal error during installation. Stack:    at Microsoft.WindowsInstaller.Installer.ApplyPatch(String patchPackage, String installPackage, InstallType installType, String commandLine)    at XSetup.MspPackage.ConfigureNewInstall(Product product)    at XSetup.Product.ConfigureNewProduct()
    19:05:56 21 July 2011: Info: Config_Products_InstallNew: End installation of new product: Microsoft Expression Web 4 Service Pack 2
    19:05:56 21 July 2011: Info: Expecting to find local release notes at 'http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=168977'.
    19:05:56 21 July 2011: Info: Expecting to find local release notes at 'http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=190547'.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Are you logged in as an Administrator? Are you running the install elevated? I would ensure those two things. If you still have the issue, it's likely that permissions are messed up on your folders.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Beach,

I spoke to the product group and my assumption is correct. The install simply unpacks the files necessary to patch the existing installation, so where the patch gets installed doesn't impact what gets updated. It is a known issue with our patch installer that you cannot change the path.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Jim,

Sorry what do you mean "running the install elevated ?

I set myself as the Administrator, so that should not be the issue. My User Account verifies that I am an Admin.

When you say my permissions are messed up in my folders, can you please elaborate what folders and can you advise how to correct please.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:21 PM
  • If you are on Windows 7 or Windows Vista, User Account Control (UAC) will prevent you from having an administrator token even if you are logged in as an administrator. If an administrator token is required, you should be prompted, but sometimes that doesn't happen. When I say that you should run it elevated, I mean right-click on it and choose Run as Administrator.

If your permissions are messed up, it would require more analysis than can be done in a forum. However, you may be able to run Process Monitor (a SysInternals tool available on the TechNet site) and find out what's wrong.

Friday, July 22, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Why does Expression Web SP2 not appear on the Microsoft Update web site?
    Blaine Hamrick Irving, Texas
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 11:58 PM
  • Please, Jim

I, and apparently a great number of Expression Web users, cannot install SP2. If you Google (or Bing) you can see just how many people are getting the now infamous Web_en.msi error (I am running under Windows 7 64 bit). I have tried uninstalling EW4; installing the trial EW4 then stopping the install to get the .msi file; etc. Nothing seems to work. I have started a thread on this forum - No replies.

I am now at a loss as to how to get someone at Microsoft to respond with a way to install SP2. Please look at things from the users perspective. I am running a MS operating system that is kept up to date. I am trying to load an upgrade to a MS application. If anything is wrong, it probably has something to do with MS code ...

Help!

NCGoedhals
    Monday, July 25, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Hi, NCGoedhals. When I do a Bing search on that, I get exactly 17 hits. I point that out only to clarify that this is not a huge problem indicative of a bug in the install. It's almost certainly environmental due to the state of the machine or because of other software interfering with the install.

My recommendations are as follows:

1. Empty out all temp folders after uninstalling Expression Web 4. Once you do that, reinstall and try installing SP2 again.

2. Disable all antivirus software prior to installing.

These are the steps that people have reported success with, but again, keep in mind that we have seen very few cases of this error. If you continue to have problems with it, please open a support ticket via support.microsoft.com.

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Success at last!

I encountered this same problem today. The Expression Web SP2 update (Windows Update KB2571841) was looking for the file "web.en.msi" in the System subfolder of some randomly named folder on my C drive which no longer existed. I fed it instead the equivalent file on my installation DVD, but this was not accepted, nor was that which (following the advice of others) I obtained via the downloadble trial version.

I also followed Jim Cheshire's advice in his July 25 post, alas all to no avail.

In the end I simply uninstalled and reinstalled the whole of Expression Studio (doing both operations from the disk's setup), and after that the SP2 download functioned correctly. It only took a few minutes, and I noticed that there was no requirement from Windows Update to install SP1 again.

Those concerned about activation issues after reinstallation need have no concerns, for the product remains activated on reinstallation.

Timothy Johnson

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Same error as others with "unable to find web.en.msi" using both Windows Update service and the downloaded SP2 update.  If I put the original product DVD in a drive the error changed to a "version mismatch" message.

I too had to uninstall all Expression 4 Studio components; reinstall them; and then apply SP2 to get by the problem.

John D.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:56 PM
  • After a while of shuffling on my PC and looking a Goggle I concluded that I done something wrong with the installation of

EW 4, so I de installed it completely (Studio Ultimate) and take a disk cleaning and registry cleaning with

utility program. After reseting I make again installation of Studio and SP 2.

Everything pass good so I concluded that in first installation when I was forced to install dot.net 4

framework I missed the Reseting before installing the Studio!

Order of events: 1. Installation of WE Studio 4-Dot.Net 4-No Reseting-SP 1 - using few days - SP 2 failed.

2.De installation of WE Studio-Reseting-Cleaning the Reg. - Reseting - Installation WE Studio - Inst. SP2 - success!

Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:09 AM
  • Please, Jim

I, and apparently a great number of Expression Web users, cannot install SP2. If you Google (or Bing) you can see just how many people are getting the now infamous Web_en.msi error (I am running under Windows 7 64 bit). I have tried uninstalling EW4; installing the trial EW4 then stopping the install to get the .msi file; etc. Nothing seems to work. I have started a thread on this forum - No replies.

I am now at a loss as to how to get someone at Microsoft to respond with a way to install SP2. Please look at things from the users perspective. I am running a MS operating system that is kept up to date. I am trying to load an upgrade to a MS application. If anything is wrong, it probably has something to do with MS code ...

Help!

NCGoedhals

I agree totally.

I purchased & installed EW3 a few months before the EW4 free upgrade was available. SP1 and SP2 for EW3 had been installed successfully prior to the EW4 upgrade, which also installed successfully. I never uninstalled the old EW3 program, as MS stated that both could remain. Both EW3 and EW4 were functional. When SP1 for EW4 was released, I installed it with no problem & EW4 worked fine.

Last week - via MS Updates - I received notification recommending installation of SP2 for EW4. When attempting to install SP2, I got the "Web_us.msi network resource not available". I located the file on my EW3 installation disc, but it was not accepted.

I uninstalled EW4 in an attempt to reinstall & try SP2 again, but EW4 would not re-install. There are no error warnings - it just hangs during the installation process. I have to go into the task manager to end the process, as it is not responding.

I then uninstalled & reinstalled EW3 from my disc & successfully installed the SP1 & Sp2 for EW3. I still cannot install EW4. The problem is the same. So now I no longer have use of EW4, which was fine until trying to install SP2!

I also tried uninstalling & reinstalling EW3 again. This time, before reinstalling EW3, I used my registry cleaner to locate & remove all entries related to Expression Web. It found a LOT of entries for EW 4. I then deleted the Expression folder & all subfolders in Program Files(x86). I reinstalled EW3 & SP1 & SP2 for EW3 successfully. I still can't install the EW4 trial, which I originally used for my upgrade to EW4. It just hangs there endlessly after clicking the install button. I also downloaded the EW4 trial again, but still no go. I'm pretty computer savvy, but this has me totally baffled.

I went to the MS Support Site & located "Expression" in their menu. It asked for my product ID, which I filled in correctly - Yet MS doesn't accept it. I know the difference between product ID & product key, so that is not the problem.

My only options for support are $259! I did not ask for this SP2 update to ruin everything. From what I can tell through searching, MS is either ignoring this problem - or they haven't invested any time to resolve this problem.

I am fully aware that this is not a technical support forum, but MS steers me right back to this forum.

Anyone have any advice?

• Edited by TWBoyd Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:47 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:32 PM
  • I think this is a warning to everyone.  Whereas some workrounds work ... for some systems and set ups they just screw the installation permanently.  Frankly Jim I don't care whether there are 17 or 1700 customers with serious issues - I suspect there many hundreds involved.  I don't know of ANY other program that so consistently throws up installation issues as EW.  I love the software but Microsoft really can do better than this.  It isn't our responsibility to spend hours exploring long winded and design fault strategies in order to get a simple software update process to work.  I abandoned all hope of getting both SP1 and SP2 to install weeks ago having explored all the suggestions here.  Come on Microsoft, sort it!

Gregory Hallam
    • Edited by Greg1126 Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:39 AM content
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:36 AM
  • TWBoyd,

No one is ignoring this, nor are we not investing time in trying to resolve. Please review my note earlier. Few things regarding your experience.

First of all, when it asks you to browse to Web_en.msi for the Expression Web 4 SP install, the file it's looking for is the version 4 MSI file. You pointed it to the version 3 MSI file, and that won't work.

Secondly, Registry cleaners and other such tools are notorious for wreaking havoc on computers. There's no better way to ensure that you encounter bizarre problems down the road than using these tools. I would stronly advise that you not use these tools on your computer.

Third, there is never a charge for installation issues. If you open a case with us, you will not be charged $259. For technical support, we ask that you open a case with us via support.microsoft.com. We do not consider this forum to be a technical support forum for the product itself.

Finally, I tried to clarify this earlier, but I might not have been clear enough. We are absolutely concerned with customers seeing this issue and we want to find a conclusive resolution. However, in order to do so, we need to be able to troubleshoot a system encountering the problem or reproduce the issue. So far, we've not been able to do either. I urge anyone who is experiencing this issue to open a support case with us so that we can collect data and resolve the issue.

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:12 PM
  • Gregory,

I've never seen a report of anyone installation being screwed up permanently. Can you please point me to someone with that experience? That's a serious problem that I'd like to address with that person.

If you are experiencing this issue, please open a support case with us. If you do that, we can nail down the root of the problem and fix it for you. You can open a case via support.microsoft.com. There is no charge for installation issues.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Jim,

Is SP2 a cumulative update, i.e., after installing EW4, must we install SP1 first or can we just go ahead and install SP2?

Bob

Bob
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:24 PM
  • No, you can simply install SP2. It includes SP1.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:49 PM
  • TWBoyd,

No one is ignoring this, nor are we not investing time in trying to resolve. Please review my note earlier. Few things regarding your experience.

First of all, when it asks you to browse to Web_en.msi for the Expression Web 4 SP install, the file it's looking for is the version 4 MSI file. You pointed it to the version 3 MSI file, and that won't work.

Secondly, Registry cleaners and other such tools are notorious for wreaking havoc on computers. There's no better way to ensure that you encounter bizarre problems down the road than using these tools. I would stronly advise that you not use these tools on your computer.

Third, there is never a charge for installation issues. If you open a case with us, you will not be charged $259. For technical support, we ask that you open a case with us via support.microsoft.com. We do not consider this forum to be a technical support forum for the product itself.

Finally, I tried to clarify this earlier, but I might not have been clear enough. We are absolutely concerned with customers seeing this issue and we want to find a conclusive resolution. However, in order to do so, we need to be able to troubleshoot a system encountering the problem or reproduce the issue. So far, we've not been able to do either. I urge anyone who is experiencing this issue to open a support case with us so that we can collect data and resolve the issue.

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply, Jim.

The version 3 msi file is all I could find. When I clean my registry, I always backup. I could not find the version 4 msi file anywhere on my HD, nor in my saved registry backups, so I doubt that the registry cleaner was the problem. I know there are some registry programs available that can cripple a PC - particularly if the user is unexperienced. I've never had issues with my reg cleaner & have used it for many years.

I'm glad to know that MS won't charge me for installation issues. Unless I missed something on their support page, they don't tell you that. I had reservations giving my credit card info to open a case. If they did charge my account I would have to go through a dispute process - which would cost me even more time.

I will report my experience on this forum when my problem is resolved.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Update -

I called MS Support & talked to Reneil. After completely explaining the problem, he said that I would have to be charged on a per-incident basis ($259) since I had no support contract with Microsoft. Apparently, Reneil did not know that support for installation issues was free. He would only give me a case number if I accepted the per-incident charge.

After going around in circles with Reneil, he finally gave me a number for the MS Partners Team & I am to be getting a return call from a tech within 4 hours. The Partners Team was much more helpful & receptive - and I have a case number!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:19 PM
  • This thread is getting too hard to manage. I'm going to lock it. If you have any issues with SP2, please open a new thread. Thanks.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 2:31 PM