none
the EULA says "You also may not use the software for commercial software hosting services." RRS feed

• Question

• hello 

in "sql server Express 2008" and "visual studio express all version from 2008-2017", the EULA says "You also may not use the software for commercial software hosting services."

What does this mean?  I have no technical knowledge of what this refers to; the phrase means nothing to me.

Can I make an app that uses a  client/server to communicate across several machines?   The clients and servers may be on multiple machines but on one lan network (edernet).   Also, I suppose the apps can be considered commercial.

it is means i don't create app for money?

or means i don't use my program for small workstation?

i have 2 questions:

1-can i sell the application that i created by "SQL server express" and "visual studio express" to other people?(for example i am create programs included 2 parts one part install to server PC and other part install to client PCs)

2-what is commercial hosting service (what means)? please tell me example

please answer to 2 above questions one by one,if possible

best regards

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 2:27 PM

Answers

• I can't answer (1).  But commercial hosting services are web hosting companies that run servers that website designers upload their website files to so that their websites are available on the internet.

For example, I used Visual Studio Express and SQL Server Express on my local computer to design the website files for my website homepagedoctor.com, and the database needed by my website. They are free for me to use that way.

Then to make my website available on the internet, I transferred all my website files to a web hosting company, and I transferred the SQLServerExpress database from my pc up to SQLServer at the hosting company.

That website hosting company may have hundreds or thousands  of people just like me who have transferred their websites and databases to their servers, and they make them all available to the internet users.  They are providing a commercial web hosting service.

Now as to question (1) -- that webhosting company I just described is certainly using SQLServer for commercial purposes (I pay them a few $$ every month for hosting my website). I am absolutely not certain about this following statement, but I think that the webhosting company cannot legally use SQLServerExpress (which is free) -- I think they are required to use SQLServer, for which they pay Microsoft a hefty fee.

Hopefully this helps clarify things somewhat for you; I really can't speak to the application usage you have in mind.

• Marked as answer by alli-jefry Thursday, April 5, 2018 4:52 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 3:10 AM

All replies

• I can't answer (1).  But commercial hosting services are web hosting companies that run servers that website designers upload their website files to so that their websites are available on the internet.

For example, I used Visual Studio Express and SQL Server Express on my local computer to design the website files for my website homepagedoctor.com, and the database needed by my website. They are free for me to use that way.

Then to make my website available on the internet, I transferred all my website files to a web hosting company, and I transferred the SQLServerExpress database from my pc up to SQLServer at the hosting company.

That website hosting company may have hundreds or thousands  of people just like me who have transferred their websites and databases to their servers, and they make them all available to the internet users.  They are providing a commercial web hosting service.

Now as to question (1) -- that webhosting company I just described is certainly using SQLServer for commercial purposes (I pay them a few $$ every month for hosting my website). I am absolutely not certain about this following statement, but I think that the webhosting company cannot legally use SQLServerExpress (which is free) -- I think they are required to use SQLServer, for which they pay Microsoft a hefty fee.

Hopefully this helps clarify things somewhat for you; I really can't speak to the application usage you have in mind.

• Marked as answer by alli-jefry Thursday, April 5, 2018 4:52 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 3:10 AM
  • Hi dear CLARKNK2

thank you for answering.

Thank you so much for your explanation. Very much the subject became clearer.

best regards

Thursday, April 5, 2018 4:52 PM