none
Enlarge (zoom) the presentation of a html-page in the view of "microsoft expression web 4" RRS feed

• Question

• Since the default view of a html-page in "microsoft expression web 4" is quite small, I would like to enlarge / zoom the presentation - but I can't find a standard "view/zoom" option nor does the standard "CTRL+PLUS SIGN" shortcut work and the "CTRL+mouse wheel" does not work either.

I can't believe that such an important feature should not be available for "microsoft expression web 4".

Can anybody help me?

Saturday, December 12, 2015 3:02 PM

All replies

• Since it is not small for me, I assume this is something to do with either your screen resolution and system font sizes, or your choice of fonts for your site.  Regardless, no such feature exists, nor will it.   EW's development is done.

It has always been the case that the way to see what an HTML page looks like is to preview it in a browser.  EW's design view is not a browser, and is an estimate for many cases, and for some trickier cases, simply wrong.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Saturday, December 12, 2015 4:48 PM
    Saturday, December 12, 2015 4:46 PM
  • The post has nothing to do with C#. You should be posting to the ASP.NET forum, which can be found by using Bing or Google.
    Saturday, December 12, 2015 7:56 PM
  • DA924 - this thread has nothing to do with C# *or* Asp.Net. I have no idea why you would read the original post and think it does.

Kathleen Wilber

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, December 13, 2015 4:36 AM
    Saturday, December 12, 2015 9:39 PM
  • Well, I guess I will not change my "screen resolution and system font sizes", which work perfectly for me, only because "microsoft expression web 4" does not supply a simple and standard feature common to nearly all text-editors (even the one we use here!!!): Ctr + Mouse Wheel => zoom

I feel, once again, that Microsoft has developed a certain skill to frustrate users with ideological resistance to deliver what users need.

Fortunately, I found other html-editors, where this problem does not exist.

Sunday, December 13, 2015 6:34 AM
  • Microsoft stopped development on EW three years ago, and the particular feature you are looking for was not one many people (of the many thousands of users) asked for, based on it's very brief mention on this forum.  Your comment in the other thread, "Another 4 years have passed by and still no zoom available!"  should actually have been "Another 1 year, and it didn't make the final cut of features."  Obviously if this feature is important to you, you should do as you have done, find another web editor.

Kathleen Wilber

Sunday, December 13, 2015 8:15 AM
  • In deed no real problem! Nevertheless, I wonder what motivation all these people have that defend always so fiercely the poor performance of Microsoft products. Reminds me a bit to Putin's internet trolls ;-). Just kidding of course!
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 11:30 AM
  • Since the default view of a html-page in "microsoft expression web 4" is quite small, I would like to enlarge / zoom the presentation - but I can't find a standard "view/zoom" option nor does the standard "CTRL+PLUS SIGN" shortcut work and the "CTRL+mouse wheel" does not work either.

I can't believe that such an important feature should not be available for "microsoft expression web 4".

Can anybody help me?

What page size do you have set in the dropdown in the lower right hand corner on the status bar?

Mine is set at 1243 X 780

Expression Web MVP

Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:53 PM
  • " I wonder what motivation all these people have that defend always so fiercely the poor performance of Microsoft products"

Because they don't perform poorly.   EW has served me very well.  Visual Studio serves me very well.  One feature you want, that few other people ever expressed a desire for, doesn't mean the product performs poorly.   Not everyone who thinks of a feature for a product will see that feature incorporated into that product - and this applies to any product, not just those from Microsoft.   I'll point out that EW was always very inexpensive, and is now free, and that full featured versions of Visual Studio are free.   I'm pretty darn happy with Microsoft on that count.

Kathleen Wilber

• Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, December 16, 2015 6:11 AM
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 5:18 PM
  •  I'll point out that EW was always very inexpensive, and is now free, and that full featured versions of Visual Studio are free.   I'm pretty darn happy with Microsoft on that count.

Kathleen Wilber

I well second (and third) that!  Those free tools from Microsoft are fabulously capable, the only thing I have never figured out is why they made them free. It's like a gift to web developers.

Clark Kurtz  AKA  HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls

Sunday, December 13, 2015 9:42 PM
  • I don't see recent activity on this thread, so am guessing it may be a dead issue. On the chance that it's not: I have exactly the same problem as the original poster. The font size in the Design View on my machine (1191x927 window) is so small I have to squint very hard to read it. This is not just inconvenieny: It's a genuine accessibility issue. I had cataract surgery some time back, and would need special glasses to read such a tiny font.

To be clear I'm not referring how to change the font size in the finished Web page. I've been using style sheets for years and am quite comfortable with them. What I'm referring to is the view inside MEW4 itself.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem in MEW4?

Monday, April 29, 2019 8:02 PM
  • Do you have a 4K monitor?  Those didn't exist when EW was developed and EW won't scale up for those.  If that's your situation, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0txqaGV8Hi4 and see if it helps.  This assumes you are running an up-to-date Win 10

If that's not your issue, well,  EW is what it is, and won't be changing.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Monday, April 29, 2019 11:03 PM
  • Hmm. We've checked this out on two different monitors. Both are set to a resolution of 1920x1080, and run on machines with the latest version of Windows 10.

Here's where it gets interesting. The font in MEW4 Display View on the old monitor is visibly larger than on the new monitor.

That leads me to believe the font size is controlled by something outside of MEW4 (or perhaps the two copies of MEW4 are configured differently?). Do you know how MEW4 determines what font size to use for Display View?

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 12:30 PM
  • "Do you know how MEW4 determines what font size to use for Display View?"

No.

"perhaps the two copies of MEW4 are configured differently"

No, your monitors are different and/or are configured differently.

Are you running Win 10?  If so, right-click in a blank area of your desktop and select Display Settings.  See if playing with font size, setting it to higher than 100%, will help.  Note that affects everything, not just EW.

Kathleen Wilber

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, May 2, 2019 12:20 AM
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 12:19 AM
  • Hi I found this topic and have tried to get a larger zoom for the working display area. Windows 10 offers a test or application zoom but only the EW4 toolbars zoom the working area is still small.  My history is that I bought Frontpage some years ago and then upgraded to EW2 paid for and now use EW4. to get round this issue I use Print and alter the size.  The issue of not having a zoom is difficult with a block of code.  I use glasses set to use for computer work.  Sixty one percent of people need to use glasses when reading, so the issue is not that Microsoft is catering for a small number of users. Other than the missing VIEW - ZOOM I like using EW4.
    • Edited by ggeoff Friday, September 27, 2019 4:24 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2019 3:38 PM
  • I use glasses too, and I have no problem seeing EW4.  Again - your monitor is no doubt different from mine if things look too small to you.

Regardless: EW development stopped with EW4's final version many years ago, so nothing will change with EW.  If you have a newer high res monitor (4K), EW development was stopped before those came out.  If that is your situation, look for links on fixing program display size (it's not just EW that has problems) for 4K monitors on Win 10.  They may help.  (I can't verify it: I don't have a high res monitor.)

Kathleen Wilber

Friday, September 27, 2019 6:55 PM
  • Thank you Kathleen. 
    Saturday, September 28, 2019 12:24 PM