none
Microsoft Expressions Web 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Microsoft Expression Web 4 as my website editing platform. It has been working well for years. But now, when I try to connect to my website, I get an error message that states, "FTP Passive Mode is not available." I did not change anything from yesterday, when it was connecting just fine. How can I fix this? 
    Friday, July 13, 2018 8:47 PM

All replies

• Then don't use passive mode. If your provider has changed their default FTP protocol connection mode to active, just go into "Site|Publishing Settings...|Edit" and uncheck the "Use Passive FTP" box.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Saturday, July 14, 2018 7:50 PM
  • Scott,

I did exactly that, but now I am getting a "Could not open data connection to port 58336" error.  I don't believe my host has changed anything, I think it may be connected to the recent Windows Defender update.  Is there any way around this?

Thursday, April 11, 2019 3:01 AM
  • I would recommend contacting your hosting provider (contact them over the phone, email support can take days or weeks to resolve certain hosting technical matters such as this one). They probably did some update which is causing this FTP issue. Phone support is definitely they way to go. You might have to wait 20-30 minutes working it out with the hosting support techs, but that's better thanks a week or so...
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:33 PM