none
Character Encoding (insert Symbol) RRS feed

• Question

• We have been converting some older FP sites. I have noticed some inserted symbols being changed such as the circle R for registered trademark becomming a question mark. As I recall the default encoding for those old sites were US/European-windows or whatever the Frontpage default may have been. I see EW4 has default encoding of UTF-8 which I understand is the proper one to use. Once the symbol changes take place they can not be changed back to the correct symbol even by changing the encoding and have to be deleted and re-inserted page by page which then works.

My question is the use of symbols in general. Are there any browser issues or encoding issues to consider? Do some only work in certain encoding formats? Does not the setting stated in the head tell the browser which one to use? It was rather a shock to see those TM, C, and R circled symbols all turn into question marks.

If there is some reason not to use symbols we can fake it with (R) instead of the symbol. What am I not getting?

Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:21 PM

All replies

• You can use ™ for ™, ® for ® and © for © other encodings are available using Intellisense in code view if you start typing with an & then scroll the list.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    • Edited by Cheryl D Wise Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:18 PM added ™
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:16 PM
  • If there is some reason not to use symbols we can fake it with (R) instead of the symbol. What am I not getting?

Nope, no reason not to use (R) or (C) for their respective uses. I personally think the typographical symbols have come to be expected on sites, though.

Likely these typographical versions will work far into the future...Here's a cheat-sheet.

http://www.utexas.edu/learn/html/spchar.html

Take care, Mike

Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:09 AM
  • If there is some reason not to use symbols we can fake it with (R) instead of the symbol. What am I not getting?

Nope, no reason not to use (R) or (C) for their respective uses. I personally think the typographical symbols have come to be expected on sites, though.

Likely these typographical versions will work far into the future...Here's a cheat-sheet.

http://www.utexas.edu/learn/html/spchar.html

Take care, Mike

Thank you, Mike. Duly printed and stored in me HTML notebook!
    Nancy Ward
    Monday, August 22, 2011 3:07 AM
  • Thanks Mike- the list may make a nice reference.

I am not having a problem with generating the symbols however. The main problem is that symbols of existing pages created in FP with US/ Windows 1252? Character encoding becoming corrupted or get changed when edited in EW4. The symbols get changed to a question mark. This happens regardless of the setting in EW4 and can be fixed by re-creating the symbols in EW one by one. TM's, copyrights etc. all get changed to ? so I can not use find and replace since differing symbols are used, so the corrections are manual page by page which can take some time.

I have noted on this forum a like problem with PHP but these are not PHP pages. It simply happens when any FP page is edited (or loaded) in EW4 and it matters not what  the charected encoding or BOM settings are in EW or what they were in FP including being the same in both. I have tried differing settings and even tried changing them in FP first to no avail. The strange thing is the code looks good before it happens and if I go back and fix the code manually, or use design view and recreate the symbol, save, and re-publish all is well. So to sum it up everything looks good but published page has ? mark instead of symbol. Go back to local page and everything looks good but if I delete symbol and re-create ( even though it looks good in code and in design view) and then re-publish it gets fixed. Since I am not telling EW to change any of these settings I can not understand the behavior.

Monday, August 22, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Bob,

Do the pages this happens to you on have a characterset specified before they are opened in Expression Web? That is when I've seen what you are talking about happen. If you still have FrontPage you can add one there using Windows 1252 which is the FrontPage default. You should also be able to do this in Dreamweaver. That is the only way I know of to preserve those characterset specific implementaiton of symbols to do a find/replace.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Monday, August 22, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Hi Cheryl,

I did try using FP to set them to 1252 ( or make sure) prior to the EW editing sessions but it still did not convey the proper symbols to EW. I will try Dreamweaver.

The funny thing is that the code looks good before- and after the fix by re-inserting them. In other words I delete the code and than add the same code back in EW and then it works. This happens no matter what character format tried in FP or EW or any combination. Since some of these old FP pages used DWT's and the FP created DWTs did not include Character formating I also tried adding it. I note that EW created DWT's include the character encoding statement so I tried EW created versions but the same thing happend. Then I decided to see what would happen without the DWT's and still the same thing happened. Code is code so it must be something going on under EW's hood as it relates to encoding. It was strange to see a correct display of a symbol in design view get converted after publishing.

The work around is not too bad but our people will have to be watch for those symbols buried in text and all over the place. 

We are trying to update encoding to UTF-8 on new pages and re-worked pages so we will add the "check and redo symbols" to the checklist of things to do. 

Monday, August 22, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Hello Bob,'

Do you have an example site still using the old code page and symbols that is on-line?

I ask because I don't and so cannot easily replicate the issue. If it were me, I would investigate using UltraEdit or the free NotePad++ to do a search and replace in the old files, setting the S&R to do that function in a test folder on all files. Once I had the patterns needed, I would save the S&Rs to reuse and perform it on an entire site's worth of files.

Does this work? Well, it has worked for me with other issues but without an example file(s) to test your needs, I have no idea.

Take care, Mike

Monday, August 22, 2011 2:49 PM