none
What should I buy after Expression Web 4 ? RRS feed

• Question

• Now that Expression Web 4 is the last of the long line of Vermeer (pre-Microsoft), Front Page and various Expression Web versions, what should I get next ?

I build relatively simple HTML websites, either for family or small businesses in Antigua, Guatemala.  I have built them for restaurants, NGO's, schools, for friends running a nursery in upstate N.Y., for a small museum in upstate N.Y. A biographical website, a collection of statues made by a local sculptor etc.

Nothing complicated, lots of photos and so on.

I imagine the last Expression Web 4, which is now a free download, will be good for a year or two, but what next ?

Visual Studio, at $499, seems overkill.  What's a small-time web designer to do ? 

The next site I have to build will be in Czech, but the Language Packs are designed for Visual Studio, not Expression Web.

Would appreciate your thoughts,

Thanks you, Tomas

www.cernikovsky.com

Monday, January 28, 2013 6:29 PM

All replies

• Microsoft's stated intention is to add Expression Web's capabilities to future versions of Visual Studio and so it follows that some of these enhancements to VS will be included with Visual Studio Web Express.

As you say, EW is still good for the foreseeable future so I'd suggest waiting to see what the next version(s) of VS/VSWE to see what they do include.

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

Monday, January 28, 2013 6:38 PM
  • IMO, you're jumping the gun. I intend to use EW for front end development until it no longer meets my needs, and is no longer the most productive tool for the job. I have used EW for the majority of my development from EW2 to EW4, even though I have also owned Dreamweaver CS3 through CS6. When DW (or some other tool) surpasses EW in usability and productivity, then I'll worry about it. That hasn't happened yet, so I'll continue to use EW. Why be concerned about something that has not yet happened?

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, January 28, 2013 6:53 PM
  • "Visual Studio, at $499, seems overkill.  What's a small-time web designer to do ? "

Visual Studio Express is free. 

But, why not keep using EW4?  It does what you need.  [Look how long people kept using FrontPage long after it was no longer supported - and EW doesn't have the issues FP had of being as quickly obsoleted.]

You're good to go for years.  When it stops doing what you need, worry about a replacement.  The answers about what a replacement might be will no doubt have changed by then.

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:00 PM
  • The next site I have to build will be in Czech, but the Language Packs are designed for Visual Studio, not Expression Web.

Well, frankly, I don't know if the language packs work with the free Visual Web Developer Express or Visual Studio Express, but if they do, you can always round-trip between VS/VWD and EW, taking advantage of the strengths of both. If you download the EnableFileWatcher registry hack, mentioned in Steve Guttman's post in this thread, you can even have the same page open in both EW and VS/VWD simultaneously. With that enabled, you will be notified when a file has been changed in another app, so you can accept or reject the changes (probably accept, since that's your objective anyway ;-).

Anyway, EW4 SP2 already has pretty decent support for HTML5 and CSS3, as well as jQuery, PHP, and, of course, ASP.NET. It is doubtful that there will be any more major moves in the CSS or HTML standards for a while, given how long it has taken to get those to where they are now. And, completely unlike FrontPage, which, as Kathy pointed out, produced garbage, deprecated markup, EW by design produces standards compliant, valid markup which will be acceptable... no, preferred, for years to come. Personally, I expect to be able to use EW productively for many years. Just sayin'...  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:40 PM
  • You are under the mistaken impression that Expression Web is FrontPage. It' Expression Web was released but initially it will be my primary editor again. s not. There is minimal support for FPSE (Vermeer) to enable people to migrate from FrontPage but unlike FrontPage Expression Web is a professional quality tool on pa with Dreamier in most respects, superior in some ways and infernos in others.

Personally I never stopped using Dreamweaver though I have used less since

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:52 PM
  • It's almost 2020 and I'm still using Expression Web 4. It supports html5 and php (sort of) so no problem. I do hope someone will release a patch or two if/when it breaks or html6 takes over... 

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:57 PM