none
Expression Web 4 - Design View Doesn't Render Tamil Font RRS feed

• Question

• I have a number of Tamil language Web pages, and Expression Web 4 (MEW4) displays the text correctly in code view, but not design view. The design view just shows an empty rectangle for each character, as if I have no Tamil font on my system. But the font *is* on the system (it renders correctly in code view). I tried setting the default font for design view, but Tamil isn't one of the supported languages.

I am moving to a new PC, and oddly, the  design view worked fine with Expression Web on the old machine (both old & new machines are Windows 10). But this will be a show stopper if we can't get it to work on the new machine.

Anyone know how to make MEW4 work?

To see examples of our Tamil pages, choose one of the links at http://www.hymntime.com/tch/non/ta/ta.htm.

Sunday, April 28, 2019 10:14 PM

All replies

• I can't see where you have defined a font for the text on that page.

If you assign a font/font-family that supports Tamil characters, it will display in Design View.

(As an example I tested it with:

<body style="font-family:'Arial Unicode MS'">
    You'll want to use whatever font you have for Tamil and put it in your style sheet as appropriate.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, April 28, 2019 11:14 PM
    Sunday, April 28, 2019 11:09 PM
  • I finally found the root cause. I installed MEW4 on my old machine, and the display view magically worked! So then it was just a matter of discovering how the two machines' configurations differed.

I compared the fonts installed on the old machine & new machine, and found the font Latha was not on the new machine (no surprise, since it's fairly esoteric in the Western world).

To make a long story short, I downloaded & installed Latha, and all is well now. Looks like you don't have to explicitly tell MEW4 the font, as long as a suitable one exists on your system.

I do have a suggestion on how to improve MEW4 (if that ever happens): Add a way to show what font the code & display views are currently using. Eliminates a lot of guesswork & frustration.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read a long winded whiny post!

Sunday, April 28, 2019 11:19 PM
  • EW is not under development any longer.  There will be no changes in the future.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Sunday, April 28, 2019 11:34 PM