none
Microsoft Expression Web 3 document size (pixels) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to create a gradient background for a website, however I do not have the dimensions of the Microsoft Expression Web 3 document. Does anyone know where I might be able to access that information so I can easily fit the background(image) into place without having any white space....

john
    John Cole
    Monday, October 12, 2009 1:21 PM

All replies

• Do you mean the background that covers the whole screen (like the sunburst on this page) behind the site? Or do you mean a background inside the web itself? It's unclear.

But more importantly, this ain't print; you have no control over how the visitor views your site and on what size screen or whether they are using the browser at full screen or in a window (and what aspect ratio that window is). You have to design with that flexibility in mind. It's not a document that has a fixed size.

If it's the first, there is no such thing as a "document"; screens can be different sizes, so you'd create a gradient that's maybe 5px wide and just have it repeat across the screen (x-axis).

If it's the second, you set the size of the webpage yourself (ie: 700px wide or 960px, or whatever). You usually don't set height, letting the quantity of text and other content set that.

Look above in the BEFORE POSTING post and check the references at the bottom to learn more about EW and web design, particularly by-expression.com and w3schools for tutorials.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 1:37 PM
  • The way you do it is create a gradient strip.  Using the background CSS property tiled the image on the X-axis setting the background color to that of the color at the bottom of the gradient.  This way it looks seamless on any viewport size.  For best results you may need to play with the creation of the gradient so it has time to complete its last color (see my website's background)
    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Monday, October 12, 2009 1:47 PM