none
FrontPage to Windows 10??

Question

• I have been a happy user of FrontPage. Bought 2007 Expression Web and it worked fine with my Windows XP Professional. 
    I have not used it all since 2008 and want your recommendations what to do as I want to start using Expression Web again making changes to my different Web Pages. 
    I want to use my new laptop today with windows 8.1, that I will upgrade to Windows 10 in the near future.

I read about all the problems Windows 8,1 has occurred and I want to be free from that that's why I would be very pleased to get your professional recommendations what to do.

Will the free Expression Web (4) work on windows 10?
    Can I then work with my webpages from 2008?
    If not, what program can be used to work with my web pages?
    Or, do I have to start up my old XP machine again?

Thankful for your advise

Hans Trim

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 7:44 PM

All replies

• Yes. Yes. You won't need one. No.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 8:06 PM
  • Assuming you were able to install MS-FrontPage 2003 onto your Windows 10 machine, properly, you may notice that right clicking a .htm or .html file, then clicking "Open with," shows one or two "Microsoft Frontpage Server Administrator" associated programs. Neither of these worked for me, claiming that two DLL files are missing (I installed them, but that didn't help). Fortunately, there are two ways to access FrontPage for an HTML file:

1) Open FrontPage. Open the desired file from there.

2) Right-click the desired HTML file. Then click "Edit". On my machine, it automatically loads FrontPage with that HTML file.

I did nothing special for either method to get them to work as stated.

Good luck!
    Saturday, December 17, 2016 7:36 PM
  • skaizun, Hans, is not likely to see your good luck wish. His question was posted and answered a year and a half ago.

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls
    My recommended web hosting company: RDOServers

Saturday, December 17, 2016 11:14 PM
  • I have MS Expressions Web 4 which is now free as MS is discontinuing it, and it's running on a Windows 10 PC. I used FP, but this upgrade is now free.  I use Site Publisher that goes for dirt cheap to upload the HD files to my web server, as most sites are not allowing FP extensions.  This FTP program also has an Exclusion function to not send the hidden vit_cnf and \vti_cnf files on the hard drive that FP and Expressions uses to locate files when searching and moving files/folders then fixing the links.

So you can keep FP, but I would suggest the free Expressions Web 4.  Just install and point it to your HD's web folder.  Using this specific FTP program also has a Cache ability.  Once you upload your site, you can turn on the Cache and it will remember the web site files and folders.  After the initial upload and after making changes, it checks the WS then the HD, then only copies those files that have changed on your HD.  I have a 53K file site and Expressions Web 4 and this program has been working for many, many years without any problem.

Sunday, April 1, 2018 6:10 PM
  • MButkus,

EW has built-in FTP publishing.  It won't publish files that you don't tell it to publish, and it does not publish _vti files. There is no need to recommend a different FTP program.  There is also no need to answer old threads that already have an answer, as this one does.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, April 1, 2018 6:39 PM
    Sunday, April 1, 2018 6:38 PM
  • Ya never know! ;)
    Friday, June 29, 2018 12:18 AM
  • Since the original poster is talking about using Expression Web, and mentioned FrontPage only as a point of history, we rather do know that your answer won't apply even if seen.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Friday, June 29, 2018 3:06 AM
    Friday, June 29, 2018 3:05 AM