none
Publish changed files to my website

Question

• Recently when trying to publish a few edited pages and/or images, Expression publishes my WHOLE (4000+) files.

Can I confine it only to upload the recent ones as it used to.

Jim S

Saturday, December 29, 2018 12:44 PM

All replies

• The first question:  If you tried to publish changed files now, would it work?  EW should have decided all the files were now up to date after publishing everything again.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Sunday, December 30, 2018 12:15 AM
  • No. I just changed nothing and selected Publish Changed Files. It checked, then gave me the option to overwrite or not.

Recently has even given me that 'overwrite' option every time I go to update a SINGLE file.

Jim S

Sunday, December 30, 2018 9:22 AM
  • Sounds like something changed on your hosting server.   Some of my sites ask for overwrite permissions on every update, some don't.   If it does, you should be able to say "yes to all" and only have to answer it once.

I can't help you if EW can't determine if a file has changed.  You always have the option of explicitly selecting the files you know you have changed or added, and publishing just those.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Proposed as answer by DaleMcIn Friday, January 25, 2019 10:43 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DaleMcIn Friday, January 25, 2019 10:43 PM
    Sunday, December 30, 2018 3:40 PM
  • I have that issue sometimes. If you log in to your host, check various files for what looks like a little pencil in the lower left of each either on your local PC or your host.  Typically pressing F5 or View > Refresh will get rid of them. If it doesn't on your local PC, those files do not 'match' what's on the host and will be published again.

The quirk is often the file on the host will have the same mark and all the publishing in the world or even single page FTP won't get rid of it and you can't simply delete the file from the host and publish it again with success. I'm not sure what EW is looking for but it determines they are not the same file, regardless of date, size or content.

I found the only way to stop this is to (1) identify the file(s) on the host with this mark, (2) delete that file from my local PC, then (3) copy the file from the host to my local PC. Then the mark goes away and EW thinks they are in sync. If you delete the file from the host and FTP or publish again, it'll retain that mark and EW won't think it's updated.  I know it's a PITA and with a very large site I'd first, backup (copy) all my local site's files to another folder or drive then while in the publishing screen (local window left, host window right), delete everything from your local PC then chose the Get all files in your site icon or Ctrl+Shift+E. EW will then copy all the files on the host to your PC and they'll be in sync again.
    Friday, January 25, 2019 10:46 PM