none
No files or folders appear in Folder List

Question

• When I open the "Folder List" panel, there are no files or folders shown and I can't figure out how to get them to show. Been using Expression for quite a while although I am still what you would call an "experienced novice".
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:14 PM

All replies

• Starting with the basics, since you didn't give us details on what you were doing: Have you opened a site?  There won't be any files in the Folder list until you do.  If you have opened a site, have you created any files yet?  Ditto, there won't be any files in the Folder list until you do.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, March 01, 2017 7:38 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:47 PM
  • uarrum, expanding on what Kathy said, EW operates within the context of a site, not just individual files. It is this context that allows EW to, for example, automatically create relative paths when you add or create resources (files) in your site. Therefore, the first thing you must do when you open EW is to go to "Site|Open Site..." and open a site to work with. As Kathy noted, at that point the Folder list will be populated with any files/folders you have created for the site.

OTOH, if you're just starting out, and haven't created a site yet, you have two choices, 'Site|New Site..." will open a dialog with a number of options, including the opportunity to base your new site on one of the built-in templates EW provides. If you haven't created a folder to host your site, EW will offer a default folder under your "...\Documents\My Web Sites\" folder. Or, you can click "Browse" and either browse to a folder that you have created beforehand, or use "New Folder" to create one on the fly.

If you prefer, another option is to use "Site|Open Site..." and use "Browse" as before to either go to a previously created folder or to create one. No other options are presented, and the site will by default be named by the folder name, although you can change that in the dialog before clicking "Open."

From then on, you can either manually open the site whenever you open EW, or you can go to "Tools|Application Options|General tab" and check "Open last site automatically when Expression Web starts." What you cannot do is simply open EW and, without opening a site, open individual files to work on. That will result in absolute, drive-relative URLs being created for assets within the site.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 8:34 PM