none
Transparent Overlay Blocky Edges

Question

• Hello

Every time I use a transparent overlay I am left with a mostly transparent image but there are always some black blocky pixels hanging around that just won't leave.

How do I get a transparent overlay that is 100% transparent around my image without any black blocky remnants?

Thank you so much in advance. =-)

Jamie
    • Edited by Jamie Kins Monday, March 27, 2017 4:07 PM Fixed Typos
    Monday, March 27, 2017 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Jamie,

This depends on the nature of the blended (overlay) image and the technique you use to blend the 2 images. If the image has what appears to be a pure background (such as fully white), but it's saved using lossy compression like JPEG, compression artifacts could cause the white areas at any edge to become non-pure white, such as shades of light gray. If you use a mixing technique that relies on the background being a pure color, these edge areas could come out as 'blocky' pixels.

Another possibility for such pixels arises if you use a transparency mask like an Alpha channel. If the mask has abrupt jumps from transparent to opaque, the blended pixels at these jumps could be a bit noisy. One way to fix that is to smooth the blending mask. This is explained in this forum post I made on my company's forums:
    https://www.leadtools.com/support/forum/posts/?topicid=12161

If neither of these ideas explain what causes your problem, post more information about how you're mixing the overlay with the main image, and if possible attach both images or post a link to download them.

• Edited by Amin Dodin Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:18 PM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:12 PM