none
not supported by the current schema RRS feed

• Question

• This is my first attempt creating a website in Expression Web 4 and I am learning as I go; my web site experience is intermediate at best.  I created the HTML and CSS pages by following the Expression Web 4 tutorial.  So far, so good; I then created a banner.

#banner {     

background: ('Banner/banner.jpg');

background-repeat: no-repeat;

background-size: 100% 100%;

height: 99px;

}

Everything looked good in the work and browser preview areas; but I noticed that the CSS Stylesheet had a red wavy line under "background-size:", placing the cursor on it the statement "The property is marked invalid because it's not supported by the current schema" appeared.  I have no idea what I need to do to correct it.  Hopefully, someone here can assist.  As always I will appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

• Edited by jpcummins Wednesday, June 5, 2019 7:58 PM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2019 7:49 PM

Answers

• Note: you posted to wrong forum - Expression Design instead of Expression Web.

I would be guessing here but your syntax is more than likely correct, it's just that EW is too old to recognise it (given CSS 3.0 in EW was "draft" at the time).  No later edition of EW was ever released, so you're stuck with whatever it was when EW ceased further production.

According to https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_background-size.asp it's correct.  You could even test your own code on w3schools, in the "Try it yourself" section, replace their code with your own, and reference your image, with the absolute URL, and you should see it working as it should

There are other methods to validate HTML such as https://validator.w3.org/

Andrew M

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)

• Edited by AndrewOZ1 Sunday, June 9, 2019 7:41 AM x
    • Marked as answer by jpcummins Sunday, June 9, 2019 6:13 PM
    Sunday, June 9, 2019 7:40 AM
  • Thank you very much for your answer; I suspicioned either the Document Type or the schema version.  I attempted to include my suspicion in my post but each time I tried it added gibberish to my post and I could not edit it out.  Regardless I am beginning to believe I would be better off looking to a supported software to learn from.  There is so much material on HTML and CSS on the internet that is erroneous and obsolete I don't know what to believe.  Thanks again for your reply.

John

Sunday, June 9, 2019 6:12 PM

All replies

• Note: you posted to wrong forum - Expression Design instead of Expression Web.

I would be guessing here but your syntax is more than likely correct, it's just that EW is too old to recognise it (given CSS 3.0 in EW was "draft" at the time).  No later edition of EW was ever released, so you're stuck with whatever it was when EW ceased further production.

According to https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_background-size.asp it's correct.  You could even test your own code on w3schools, in the "Try it yourself" section, replace their code with your own, and reference your image, with the absolute URL, and you should see it working as it should

There are other methods to validate HTML such as https://validator.w3.org/

Andrew M

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)

• Edited by AndrewOZ1 Sunday, June 9, 2019 7:41 AM x
    Sunday, June 9, 2019 7:40 AM
  • Thank you very much for your answer; I suspicioned either the Document Type or the schema version.  I attempted to include my suspicion in my post but each time I tried it added gibberish to my post and I could not edit it out.  Regardless I am beginning to believe I would be better off looking to a supported software to learn from.  There is so much material on HTML and CSS on the internet that is erroneous and obsolete I don't know what to believe.  Thanks again for your reply.

John

Sunday, June 9, 2019 6:12 PM