none
MS Expression 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I copied and pasted files from MS FrontPage 2003 into MS Expression 4 and published them, but they don't show up when I open my
    WebPage online. Why?
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 6:35 PM

Answers

• Please read the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here post. If you still have a question after reading that, let us know. You need to post a link to your published page(s).

cheers,

scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:17 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:06 PM
  • This may be away from the actual question but why did you need to copy and paste - you can open the site in EW (Site menu, Open Site.... etc - same idea as opening a "web" in FP).

What exact errors are you getting, and which files don't show up - e.g. do the pages actually load but images missing? In which case you need to publish the images and all other associated files.

Or are you getting "404" errors (file not found)...? Be sure you're publishing to the correct folder(s) e.g. to the "public_html" (or whatever it's named) for the "root" of your site, and any other files, in the same directory structure as your original FP web.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)

• Edited by AndrewOZ1 Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:00 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:40 PM
  • Post it as plain text: www dot mydomain dot com. We'll figure it out. ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:01 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:34 PM
  • Your page uses two classes for the text that is hiding. (NarrativeText is one of them) and from what I see, that style class is neither in the head of the document nor in the linked CSS file.

Adding the class to the head of the document (should be in your CSS file), one is presented with the above. I used the color definition of the .auto-style1 class.

Mike

Friday, February 8, 2013 1:27 AM
  • Mike is spot on. Apparently, somewhere in scope (the theme CSS file, maybe, since that's the only one referenced in the head?) the "color" value was set to white (or #ffffff). AFAIK, the default in all browsers is black (#000000), so it must have been overridden somewhere.

Just for testing purposes, since your layout is contained in a table, I used Firebug to add "color:#0000FF" to the style for "TABLE," and all of the text appeared. In any event, however it happened, you need to override it. Since the elements you're interested in already all have the class "NarrativeText" assigned, to make that work universally, you need to add this at the bottom of your_themes/blends/blen1011.css file, then save the CSS file and refresh the page:  

.NarrativeText {
        color:#0000FF;
    }

That is, assuming that you want blue text. Substitute whatever hex value you want there, or use one of the HTML named colors, like this:

.NarrativeText {
        color:MidnightBlue;
    }

Put it at the bottom of the CSS so that it will override whatever set the text color to white. Unless, of course, you want to track down whatever that was and change it, instead. Your choice...  ;-)

Oh, and don't forget to publish everything, if you're working locally, as you should be.

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Friday, February 8, 2013 3:48 AM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 3:37 AM
  • You don't have to be a professional, but you DO have to know HTML and CSS.   EW is a professional level tool, and is not intended for those who don't know HTML and CSS, even if they are hobbyists working on a personal site.

Be assured that your age has nothing to do with it.  (If you think we are all young chickens, you would be mistaken.  :)  )

Did you try and follow Scott's instructions?  There is no plainer way to say it than he did: "Since the elements you're interested in already all have the class "NarrativeText" assigned, to make that work universally, you need to add this at the bottom of your_themes/blends/blen1011.css file, ....." and the style code you need to write follows in his post.

• Edited by KathyW2 Friday, February 8, 2013 9:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:02 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 9:41 PM
  • If I knew how to fix the text color, that would be all I would need, but I don't know how.  Your talking to me like your a professional, I'm not!  I went to the sites you subjested, but, I'm 72 and don't have the time to become a professional.  I just wanted a simple webpage for my ancestry.  I guess I'll just delete it all and forget about it. I already knew I was stupid when it came to web design, you didn't have to show me up to Scott.

VW, Kathy is right about one thing—if you want to continue to use EW for editing, at some point you're going to have to learn more than you currently know about HTML and CSS. Unlike FrontPage, EW is, in fact, a professional tool, and as disappointing as it may be to learn that, there is nothing that can be done to change it.

Now, given that you are just a hobbyist, and this is a personal, family site, I will try to make this as simple as I can. But, I will remind you of the words of Einstein, "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler." There is a limit as to how granularly I can explain things.

Now, you still haven't said whether you are working locally, then publishing your changes, or working remotely using the FrontPage Server Extensions. In either case, open the file named "_themes/blends/blen1011.css" in Expression Web. This is a text file, with CSS rules that establish the look of your pages. Now, with that file open, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the file. The very last CSS rule in that file looks like this:

.ms-ToolStrip{
    color:#000000;
    background-color:#B9B9B9;
    border-
    border-right:#330099 1px solid;
    border-
    border-bottom:#330099 1px solid;
    }

Now, just below that last rule, you want to add another one, as described above (enter exactly as shown, punctuation, capitalization, and all—CSS is case-sensitive):

.NarrativeText {
    }

That is, assuming that you want blue text (like the "Collins" at the top of the page as it looks now). If not, substitute whatever hex value you want there, or use one of the HTML named colors, like this:

.NarrativeText {
    }

After you add that rule at the bottom of the file "_themes/blends/blen1011.css," save the file. Now, if you are working remotely using the FPSE, you should be able to simply refresh the page and view the text. If you are working locally, you will have to publish that file up to the remote server. Then you will be able to refresh the page and view the text.

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, February 9, 2013 3:17 AM
  • It is coming and going. I can get to the page about one in three times. However, when I try to click on a link I get an "unable to connect" message. Then, when I try to go back to the home page it can't connect to it either, although I was just there. You need to check with your host and find out what is going on.

Jim

'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. Thomas Paine

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:03 PM
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:36 PM
  • Okay, I was able to view the site briefly, although as soon as I clicked on a link it went away again. I have a couple of observations. First, you may have made the change mentioned above in your CSS, but the changed file has not been published. What shows on the web does not have the added .NarrativeText definition. Also, much higher up in your stylesheet, you have this:

TABLE{
    table-border-color-light:#999999;
    table-border-color-dark:#000000;
    border-color:#000000;
    color:transparent;
    }

Why on earth would you have transparent text? I assume that was something in the theme, rather than something you added, but I don't see any sense in it. Unless I'm missing something and am way off base, that seems to be the root of your problem. Try getting rid of the color definition there, then save and publish the CSS file.

Jim

'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. Thomas Paine

Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Ah, so that's why I didn't find it earlier. I searched the CSS file on "color:#ffffff" and "color:white." It never even occurred to me that someone might set text color to transparent!

Anyway, yeah, VW, according to Firebug, that rule is in line 111 of blen1011.css. Find that and remove it, or change it to the value you want, and you're in business. Here's the rule you're looking for:

TABLE {
        border-color: #000000;
        color: transparent;
    }

EW provides line numbers when you're editing CSS files, so it should be easy to find. As to your loading issues, when I click on your address, or copy/paste it into a new browser tab, I don't get a 404 error (file not found), but I do get (in Firefox) a "Problem loading page" with this message:

The connection was reset   
    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

and a "Try again" button at the bottom. If I then click the "Try again" button, the page loads. Well, sometimes. It loaded once, then when I tried it in a different tab, I was sent to a generic Comcast 404 error message page, at http://home.comcast.net/site/error/error_404.html.

Since this appears to be a free Web space provided by your ISP, they are known to have unique publishing processes and procedures, so I'm guessing that you're going to have to work with Comcast to resolve that particular issue.

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:18 PM
  • I suspect this style sheet came from a FrontPage theme.  There are several FP themes that specify transparent text, which will be ignored in IE5.
    For5 those with FrontPage, the cure for modern (post IE5) browsers is to modify the theme.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:29 PM
  • I suspect this style sheet came from a FrontPage theme.  There are several FP themes that specify transparent text, which will be ignored in IE5.
    For5 those with FrontPage, the cure for modern (post IE5) browsers is to modify the theme.

Oh, yeah, not a doubt about it. This is from the <head> of the page:

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 12.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">

and also:

<!--mstheme--><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="_themes/blends/blen1011.css">
    <meta name="Microsoft Theme" content="blends 1011">
    <meta name="Microsoft Border" content="tl, default">

The OP said from the git-go that he had copied the source from FP2003, so that was a given. But even in the bad old days when I used FP, I never cared much for their themes, so I was not aware that any of them set color to transparent(??), and can't for the life of me figure out why they thought that might be a good idea.

Whatever... now we know what the problem is, and even where it originated. All that's left now is to get the appropriate changes made and published. And that's up to VW and his ISP to get sorted out at this point.

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:24 PM
  • Scott,

Do you think I should just start over, delete this whole mess?   I can't even publish now, and when I click on a file to open, it says it can't find the webpage.

Well, VW, truth be told, the existing stuff is pretty much a mess. For the time period back at the turn of the century, when FP was in its heyday, it is typical of the kind of hobbyist, personal sites often produced by FP users. FrontPage did have the saving grace of not requiring users to learn anything of the underlying technologies of the Web, HTML and CSS. They could just drag and drop to "draw" the page, and bring in content from Office, to their heart's content. Unfortunately, it came with concomitant limitations.

Among these are bloated, largely table-based markup, using now-deprecated presentational HTML properties (align, font, hspace, bgcolor, etc.), with little to no regard for accessibility. Furthermore, the added convenience features (see this page) by and large required proprietary coding which made using the FrontPage Server Extensions (FPSE) mandatory, and the script-driven elements such as Interactive Buttons and Behaviors used clunky, bloated, obtrusive javascript that was a mess even in those days, and which can be accomplished far more cleanly and concisely using the technologies and frameworks available these days.

Finally, because Internet Explorer at the time held about a 95% share, FP was designed to produce pages optimized for viewing on IE 5.5, the version with the greatest share at the time of last release. In today's world of five major desktop browsers, each with multiple versions in the wild, and untold numbers of mobile platforms, and with accessibility a major consideration, FP's IE5.5-targeted markup is woefully out of date.

So, basically, I would say that a remake is in order, particularly if you intend to update and expand the site, or even just to bring it up to modern concepts of appearance and navigation and make it usable on today's platforms. That said, if you intend to do so, you do have a learning curve ahead of you. If you intend to use any professional tool, and AFAIAC EW is one of the best, you will need to learn HTML and CSS.

There is a good deal to learn, but it is not tensor calculus or aerospace engineering, and can be learned by any reasonably literate individual. Just to get an idea of how easy EW makes development, and gain familiarity with the user interface, download Cheryl's "Build a Basic Web Site" video tutorial, at http://by-expression.com/page/EW-Video-Basic-Website-tutorial, along with the "urban-houston.zip" assets file, then view it all the way through. After that, unzip the assets file, and following the tutorial, work along with it.

That will give you an introduction to modern HTML and CSS, but to learn more, you can also use the free, self-paced courses available at http://w3schools.com/html/ and http://w3schools.com/css/. They are bite-sized lessons you can take at your own pace, as many or as few as you want per session, and in any order. And you can use them as references, as well, looking up particulars as you find the need now or later.

It may appear daunting, but if you approach it with the enthusiasm you had when compiling all that genealogical information, you can get the job done. As you learn, you may even find that it's fun, especially when you get to rebuild your site as a modern, accessible, attractive resource for your family. Good luck!  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:04 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:33 AM
  • As a fellow genealogist as well as website designer, I can tell you that Scott and others have given you some good information. I highly recommend Cheryl's video tutorial on Building a Basic Website. Take your time, learn the basics (at least) of HTML and CSS.  When you are ready, you might want to take a look at

http://www.genealogy-web-creations.com/

It was created for genealogists who want to design and maintain their own website. There is a free ebook with the information that is available on the site.

Good luck on combining two fascinating hobbies.

pat

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Expression Web 4 is now FREE. I would not purchase them although Amazon does still sell the software. Simply burn the downloaded file to a CD/DVD if you want a copy or save it to an external hard drive if you want a backup. You can always redownload it if you need/want to.

pat

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:31 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:22 PM
  • OK, first of all, I have checked, and it is now (2300 EDT 2/10/13) possible to access your site, the home page, genealogy, and all the family names I tried to access. Does this mean that you have gotten your transfer problems resolved, and that you can now publish to the remote site?

In a post yesterday afternoon, you said that you were working locally and publishing your changes. So, can you now open the local site in EW, load one of the files, and edit it? If so, we need to get that CSS file edited so that, for the time being, the site is usable. When I checked your site just now, the TABLE element in the CSS file still had the "color:transparent" rule, and there was no selector for NarrativeText to be found.

Eventually, you will want to bring the site up to standards. Take a look at Pat's site dedicated to her family's history for an idea of what you can do. But, for now, we need to find out where you are with the current site, and get the thing at least viewable.

cheers,
    scott

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Monday, February 11, 2013 5:16 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 4:35 AM
  • FPSE are not well supported anymore since they were discontinued in 2005. I would suggest that you switch to FTP publishing.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:57 AM
    • Edited by Cheryl D Wise Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:50 AM
  • Yep, as I noted last night at about 11:00 PM, your site was once again accessible. However, I noticed when checking again just now, your "Genealogy" link from the Home page is broken. It is supposed to be "http://home.comcast.net/~vwgoodrich/genealogy.htm" (which does work), but at the moment it is actually "http://home.comcast.net/~vwgoodrich/_private/genealogy.htm," so when you click it you get a "page not found" error. You might want to fix that.

Anyway, on the family pages I looked at (e.g. Collins, Brumbaugh, Delano...), the problem with the transparent text seems to have been resolved, so it would appear that your CSS edits have gotten published.

Just a note that you might want to consider—apostrophes should not be used in plurals. Several places (e.g. "signature's") you have placed apostrophes preceding the "s" added to a word to indicate a plural. With very rare exceptions (generally, for single letters, as in "p's and q's"), apostrophe "s" should be used only to indicate possessives, with a simple "s" or "es" added to indicate plurals.

cheers,
    scott

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:18 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:06 AM
  • Cheryl, you might want to edit your post.

"FPSE are not well supported anymore since they were discontinued in 2005. I would suggest that you switch to FPSE publishing."  <---  I assume you meant FTP. :)

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:20 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:39 AM
  • Thanks Kathy, working on a small touch screen guess I didn't catch it. Fixed it now.

For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:19 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:03 PM

All replies

• Please read the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here post. If you still have a question after reading that, let us know. You need to post a link to your published page(s).

cheers,

scott

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:17 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:06 PM
  • This may be away from the actual question but why did you need to copy and paste - you can open the site in EW (Site menu, Open Site.... etc - same idea as opening a "web" in FP).

What exact errors are you getting, and which files don't show up - e.g. do the pages actually load but images missing? In which case you need to publish the images and all other associated files.

Or are you getting "404" errors (file not found)...? Be sure you're publishing to the correct folder(s) e.g. to the "public_html" (or whatever it's named) for the "root" of your site, and any other files, in the same directory structure as your original FP web.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)

• Edited by AndrewOZ1 Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:00 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:40 PM
  • I use MS Windows 7, the images show up, and I don't get any error messages.  Go to my website at: (well I tried to send you my webpage, but it wouldn't let me) and click on genealogy.  You could contact me at my email address.

Then click on a name, nothing! But if you click on the blank page and move the cursor the text shows up hidden underneath. Click on the Goodrich surname and this text is the only one that shows up. All these files are in MS Expression 4.

Thanks!

Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:55 PM
  • I tried to post my link to my published pages, but it wouldn't let me.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:57 PM
  • Post it as plain text: www dot mydomain dot com. We'll figure it out. ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:34 PM
  • http: // home.comcast.net/ ~vwgoodrich
    Friday, February 8, 2013 12:49 AM
  • Your page uses two classes for the text that is hiding. (NarrativeText is one of them) and from what I see, that style class is neither in the head of the document nor in the linked CSS file.

Adding the class to the head of the document (should be in your CSS file), one is presented with the above. I used the color definition of the .auto-style1 class.

Mike

Friday, February 8, 2013 1:27 AM
  • Mike is spot on. Apparently, somewhere in scope (the theme CSS file, maybe, since that's the only one referenced in the head?) the "color" value was set to white (or #ffffff). AFAIK, the default in all browsers is black (#000000), so it must have been overridden somewhere.

Just for testing purposes, since your layout is contained in a table, I used Firebug to add "color:#0000FF" to the style for "TABLE," and all of the text appeared. In any event, however it happened, you need to override it. Since the elements you're interested in already all have the class "NarrativeText" assigned, to make that work universally, you need to add this at the bottom of your_themes/blends/blen1011.css file, then save the CSS file and refresh the page:  

.NarrativeText {
    }

That is, assuming that you want blue text. Substitute whatever hex value you want there, or use one of the HTML named colors, like this:

.NarrativeText {
    }

Put it at the bottom of the CSS so that it will override whatever set the text color to white. Unless, of course, you want to track down whatever that was and change it, instead. Your choice...  ;-)

Oh, and don't forget to publish everything, if you're working locally, as you should be.

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Friday, February 8, 2013 3:48 AM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 3:37 AM
  • Would you please guide/instruct me on exactly what I should do?  This is all new to me, and as you can tell I'm not too adept at figuring this all out. I looked in the CSS files and couldn't find .auto-style1 class.

Thanks!

Friday, February 8, 2013 3:40 PM
  • I would really appreciate if you and Mike could help me figure this out.  I'm just not comprehending all this!

Thanks!

Friday, February 8, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Scott did give you very explicit instructions.  Re-read his post.

You need, absolutely need, to understand CSS and HTML to create (or edit) a website with Expression Web.

Before trying to go further with your site (even after you fix the text color), please take the time to use the resources referenced in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2511858 , and add to them, or alternatively use, http://www.w3schools.com/ for their HTML and CSS tutorials.  (Go through the "Learn HTML" and "Learn CSS" tutorials, including using the "Try Me" links.)

Friday, February 8, 2013 6:04 PM
  • If I knew how to fix the text color, that would be all I would need, but I don't know how.  Your talking to me like your a professional, I'm not!  I went to the sites you subjested, but, I'm 72 and don't have the time to become a professional.  I just wanted a simple webpage for my ancestry.  I guess I'll just delete it all and forget about it. I already knew I was stupid when it came to web design, you didn't have to show me up to Scott.
    Friday, February 8, 2013 8:14 PM
  • You don't have to be a professional, but you DO have to know HTML and CSS.   EW is a professional level tool, and is not intended for those who don't know HTML and CSS, even if they are hobbyists working on a personal site.

Be assured that your age has nothing to do with it.  (If you think we are all young chickens, you would be mistaken.  :)  )

Did you try and follow Scott's instructions?  There is no plainer way to say it than he did: "Since the elements you're interested in already all have the class "NarrativeText" assigned, to make that work universally, you need to add this at the bottom of your_themes/blends/blen1011.css file, ....." and the style code you need to write follows in his post.

• Edited by KathyW2 Friday, February 8, 2013 9:41 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 9:41 PM

VW, Kathy is right about one thing—if you want to continue to use EW for editing, at some point you're going to have to learn more than you currently know about HTML and CSS. Unlike FrontPage, EW is, in fact, a professional tool, and as disappointing as it may be to learn that, there is nothing that can be done to change it.

Now, given that you are just a hobbyist, and this is a personal, family site, I will try to make this as simple as I can. But, I will remind you of the words of Einstein, "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler." There is a limit as to how granularly I can explain things.

Now, you still haven't said whether you are working locally, then publishing your changes, or working remotely using the FrontPage Server Extensions. In either case, open the file named "_themes/blends/blen1011.css" in Expression Web. This is a text file, with CSS rules that establish the look of your pages. Now, with that file open, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the file. The very last CSS rule in that file looks like this:

.ms-ToolStrip{
    border-
    border-
    }

Now, just below that last rule, you want to add another one, as described above (enter exactly as shown, punctuation, capitalization, and all—CSS is case-sensitive):

.NarrativeText {
    }

That is, assuming that you want blue text (like the "Collins" at the top of the page as it looks now). If not, substitute whatever hex value you want there, or use one of the HTML named colors, like this:

.NarrativeText {
    }

After you add that rule at the bottom of the file "_themes/blends/blen1011.css," save the file. Now, if you are working remotely using the FPSE, you should be able to simply refresh the page and view the text. If you are working locally, you will have to publish that file up to the remote server. Then you will be able to refresh the page and view the text.

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, February 9, 2013 3:17 AM
  • Scott,

Did I do this right? If so, still not right! I am working locally and publishing to a remote site. http:// home.comcast.net/~vwgoodrich. Incidentally, I know you both are correct.....I do have a lot too learn. I've already sent for two books and a CD for learning MS Expression Web 4. I do appreciate all your help!

.ms-ToolStrip{
    border-left:#330099 1px solid;
    border-top:#330099 1px solid;
    }
    .NarrativeText{
    }

Saturday, February 9, 2013 3:54 PM
  • I'm getting a "Page Not Found" error when I try to go to your site using:

http://home.comcast.net/~vwgoodrich   Is that the right address?
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Well, I was able to view some of the files, but now it says cannot open file.  I try to publish and it says, cannot find file ~vwgoodrich on the remote site.

I'm getting to be a hand full, aren't I?

Saturday, February 9, 2013 5:59 PM
  • You might need to check with Comcast and see if something is going on at their end.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 6:10 PM
  • That's the correct webpage address.  I clicked on my web address in your email and it took me right to it. 
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 6:20 PM
  • It is coming and going. I can get to the page about one in three times. However, when I try to click on a link I get an "unable to connect" message. Then, when I try to go back to the home page it can't connect to it either, although I was just there. You need to check with your host and find out what is going on.

Jim

Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:36 PM
  • Okay, I was able to view the site briefly, although as soon as I clicked on a link it went away again. I have a couple of observations. First, you may have made the change mentioned above in your CSS, but the changed file has not been published. What shows on the web does not have the added .NarrativeText definition. Also, much higher up in your stylesheet, you have this:

TABLE{
    table-border-color-light:#999999;
    table-border-color-dark:#000000;
    border-color:#000000;
    color:transparent;
    }

Why on earth would you have transparent text? I assume that was something in the theme, rather than something you added, but I don't see any sense in it. Unless I'm missing something and am way off base, that seems to be the root of your problem. Try getting rid of the color definition there, then save and publish the CSS file.

Jim

Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Ah, so that's why I didn't find it earlier. I searched the CSS file on "color:#ffffff" and "color:white." It never even occurred to me that someone might set text color to transparent!

Anyway, yeah, VW, according to Firebug, that rule is in line 111 of blen1011.css. Find that and remove it, or change it to the value you want, and you're in business. Here's the rule you're looking for:

TABLE {
        border-color: #000000;
        color: transparent;
    }

EW provides line numbers when you're editing CSS files, so it should be easy to find. As to your loading issues, when I click on your address, or copy/paste it into a new browser tab, I don't get a 404 error (file not found), but I do get (in Firefox) a "Problem loading page" with this message:

The connection was reset   
    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

and a "Try again" button at the bottom. If I then click the "Try again" button, the page loads. Well, sometimes. It loaded once, then when I tried it in a different tab, I was sent to a generic Comcast 404 error message page, at http://home.comcast.net/site/error/error_404.html.

Since this appears to be a free Web space provided by your ISP, they are known to have unique publishing processes and procedures, so I'm guessing that you're going to have to work with Comcast to resolve that particular issue.

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:18 PM

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:29 PM

Oh, yeah, not a doubt about it. This is from the <head> of the page:

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 12.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">

and also:

<!--mstheme--><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="_themes/blends/blen1011.css">
    <meta name="Microsoft Theme" content="blends 1011">
    <meta name="Microsoft Border" content="tl, default">

The OP said from the git-go that he had copied the source from FP2003, so that was a given. But even in the bad old days when I used FP, I never cared much for their themes, so I was not aware that any of them set color to transparent(??), and can't for the life of me figure out why they thought that might be a good idea.

Whatever... now we know what the problem is, and even where it originated. All that's left now is to get the appropriate changes made and published. And that's up to VW and his ISP to get sorted out at this point.

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:24 PM
  • Scott,

Do you think I should just start over, delete this whole mess?   I can't even publish now, and when I click on a file to open, it says it can't find the webpage.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:36 PM
  • Scott,

Well, VW, truth be told, the existing stuff is pretty much a mess. For the time period back at the turn of the century, when FP was in its heyday, it is typical of the kind of hobbyist, personal sites often produced by FP users. FrontPage did have the saving grace of not requiring users to learn anything of the underlying technologies of the Web, HTML and CSS. They could just drag and drop to "draw" the page, and bring in content from Office, to their heart's content. Unfortunately, it came with concomitant limitations.

Among these are bloated, largely table-based markup, using now-deprecated presentational HTML properties (align, font, hspace, bgcolor, etc.), with little to no regard for accessibility. Furthermore, the added convenience features (see this page) by and large required proprietary coding which made using the FrontPage Server Extensions (FPSE) mandatory, and the script-driven elements such as Interactive Buttons and Behaviors used clunky, bloated, obtrusive javascript that was a mess even in those days, and which can be accomplished far more cleanly and concisely using the technologies and frameworks available these days.

Finally, because Internet Explorer at the time held about a 95% share, FP was designed to produce pages optimized for viewing on IE 5.5, the version with the greatest share at the time of last release. In today's world of five major desktop browsers, each with multiple versions in the wild, and untold numbers of mobile platforms, and with accessibility a major consideration, FP's IE5.5-targeted markup is woefully out of date.

So, basically, I would say that a remake is in order, particularly if you intend to update and expand the site, or even just to bring it up to modern concepts of appearance and navigation and make it usable on today's platforms. That said, if you intend to do so, you do have a learning curve ahead of you. If you intend to use any professional tool, and AFAIAC EW is one of the best, you will need to learn HTML and CSS.

There is a good deal to learn, but it is not tensor calculus or aerospace engineering, and can be learned by any reasonably literate individual. Just to get an idea of how easy EW makes development, and gain familiarity with the user interface, download Cheryl's "Build a Basic Web Site" video tutorial, at http://by-expression.com/page/EW-Video-Basic-Website-tutorial, along with the "urban-houston.zip" assets file, then view it all the way through. After that, unzip the assets file, and following the tutorial, work along with it.

That will give you an introduction to modern HTML and CSS, but to learn more, you can also use the free, self-paced courses available at http://w3schools.com/html/ and http://w3schools.com/css/. They are bite-sized lessons you can take at your own pace, as many or as few as you want per session, and in any order. And you can use them as references, as well, looking up particulars as you find the need now or later.

It may appear daunting, but if you approach it with the enthusiasm you had when compiling all that genealogical information, you can get the job done. As you learn, you may even find that it's fun, especially when you get to rebuild your site as a modern, accessible, attractive resource for your family. Good luck!  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:33 AM
  • I have to point out that while redoing the site to current methods and standards is a good idea, inability to publish, and the site being down (still, for me), are not related to that.
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:42 PM
  • As a fellow genealogist as well as website designer, I can tell you that Scott and others have given you some good information. I highly recommend Cheryl's video tutorial on Building a Basic Website. Take your time, learn the basics (at least) of HTML and CSS.  When you are ready, you might want to take a look at

http://www.genealogy-web-creations.com/

It was created for genealogists who want to design and maintain their own website. There is a free ebook with the information that is available on the site.

Good luck on combining two fascinating hobbies.

pat

Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Kathy, Scott, etc.,

Instead of using my original site to publish to the web, what method would you subject, that isn't all that expensive. I've taken all the advise I've been given and actually have learned from it.  I really think my best bet at this time is to start over and not use the FP files I used before.  Start from scratch, read & learn.

Thanks to all,

Vern

Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:09 PM
  • I downloaded MS Expression Web4!  Where can I purchase the actual CD's. I've browed many sites and haven't found them yet.
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Expression Web 4 is now FREE. I would not purchase them although Amazon does still sell the software. Simply burn the downloaded file to a CD/DVD if you want a copy or save it to an external hard drive if you want a backup. You can always redownload it if you need/want to.

pat

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:31 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:22 PM
  • I wanted to delete this whole program and all the FrontPage files I have and start over fresh.
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:30 PM
  • I tried publishing and I get this message, can anyone tell me what it means?

"You cannot include subsites when publishing to a destination whose URL falls below the source site".

Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:42 PM
  • If you already have Expression Web 4 installed on your computer, it is not necessary to uninstall it to start from scratch with a new site. You just need to create a new site. BUT before you do that, work with Cheryl's Basic Video series. It has been a while since I viewed it but I believe it walks you through creating a new site. If you want to delete your current site you can do that through WIndows Explorer BUT before you do, if there are any images you might want to save, you should do that.

I know too many cooks can spoil the broth so don't want to go too far with Scott and Kathy already helping you.

Expression Web 4 and FrontPage can exist side-by-side on your computer. Just start using the EW you already have installed.

pat

Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:44 PM
  • I wanted to delete this whole program and all the FrontPage files I have and start over fresh.

Well, now, hold on a second! We're both old enough to have heard the expression "Don't throw out the baby with the bath water." That may be a hoary old adage, but it still holds true.  ;-)

Here's the thing—a large part of building a site is the actual content. You already have that in your existing site. If you can still open the site locally (can you?), you can use simple copy and paste to grab the existing content and paste it into Notepad or another text editor. (Actually, I just tested, and I can open the "Collins" page right now [1524 on 2/10/13].)

Anyway, as you learn the ins and outs of EW, HTML and CSS, and follow the suggestions provided in Pat's guide to genealogy Web sites, you're still going to need access to that information, so you don't want to delete it and have to go to all the trouble of rebuilding from original sources, right?

Now, as Kathy pointed out, even if you do start over from scratch, after learning what you need to know to use EW well, the publishing issue is still going to have to be overcome. Give me a little time; I have some screen shots I've taken for other threads that may help in explaining what you need to do to get that sorted.

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:35 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:34 PM
  • OK, first of all, I have checked, and it is now (2300 EDT 2/10/13) possible to access your site, the home page, genealogy, and all the family names I tried to access. Does this mean that you have gotten your transfer problems resolved, and that you can now publish to the remote site?

In a post yesterday afternoon, you said that you were working locally and publishing your changes. So, can you now open the local site in EW, load one of the files, and edit it? If so, we need to get that CSS file edited so that, for the time being, the site is usable. When I checked your site just now, the TABLE element in the CSS file still had the "color:transparent" rule, and there was no selector for NarrativeText to be found.

Eventually, you will want to bring the site up to standards. Take a look at Pat's site dedicated to her family's history for an idea of what you can do. But, for now, we need to find out where you are with the current site, and get the thing at least viewable.

cheers,
    scott

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Monday, February 11, 2013 5:16 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 4:35 AM
  • No, I still can't access my webpage on line. It still gives me the message I stated above. "You cannot include subsites when publishing to a destination whose URL falls below the source site".

I changed the transparent file to #000000, but it won't let me publish it.

I must have changed something in the program that is interferring with the ability to publish. Can you tell me what to look for and change? 

I do have all my files, photos, etc. backed up to an external drive. 

I know, I'm getting to be a real pain!

Monday, February 11, 2013 5:15 PM
  • ""You cannot include subsites when publishing to a destination whose URL falls below the source site".

It sounds like you are not publishing to the correct location.

Are you using FPSE or FTP to publish?

(If FPSE, I can't help - I have no idea what causes its error messages.)

• Edited by KathyW2 Monday, February 11, 2013 10:39 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 10:37 PM
  • I'm using FPSE.  
    Monday, February 11, 2013 11:27 PM
  • FPSE are not well supported anymore since they were discontinued in 2005. I would suggest that you switch to FTP publishing.

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:57 AM
    • Edited by Cheryl D Wise Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:50 AM
  • Kathy, Scott, etc.

Check out my site: http: //home.comcast.net/vwgoodrich.  I think I've finally got it, thanks to all your help! I really appreciate it, I've learned a lot and will continue to study what you told me to do.

Vern

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:56 AM
  • Yep, as I noted last night at about 11:00 PM, your site was once again accessible. However, I noticed when checking again just now, your "Genealogy" link from the Home page is broken. It is supposed to be "http://home.comcast.net/~vwgoodrich/genealogy.htm" (which does work), but at the moment it is actually "http://home.comcast.net/~vwgoodrich/_private/genealogy.htm," so when you click it you get a "page not found" error. You might want to fix that.

Anyway, on the family pages I looked at (e.g. Collins, Brumbaugh, Delano...), the problem with the transparent text seems to have been resolved, so it would appear that your CSS edits have gotten published.

Just a note that you might want to consider—apostrophes should not be used in plurals. Several places (e.g. "signature's") you have placed apostrophes preceding the "s" added to a word to indicate a plural. With very rare exceptions (generally, for single letters, as in "p's and q's"), apostrophe "s" should be used only to indicate possessives, with a simple "s" or "es" added to indicate plurals.

cheers,
    scott

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:18 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:06 AM
  • Cheryl, you might want to edit your post.

"FPSE are not well supported anymore since they were discontinued in 2005. I would suggest that you switch to FPSE publishing."  <---  I assume you meant FTP. :)

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:20 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:39 AM
  • Thanks Kathy, working on a small touch screen guess I didn't catch it. Fixed it now.

• Marked as answer by vwgoodrich Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:19 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:03 PM