none
please help: site.dwt not updating RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I am making a website using a template.

I modified site.dwt, and uploaded the file using ftp, but it's not updating.

Could anybody help me with the problem?

Thank you in advance!

ay

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 4:00 PM

All replies

• The dwt does not work on the server.  It does not even need to be on the server.   You update your pages with the dwt on your local site, on your PC.  Then you publish those updated pages.

Start from step one:  How are you working on your site?

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 8:52 PM
  • Oh!

How am I working on my site?

Now i dont know how to answer this.

I am using web expression 4. I downloaded the template,

modified the pages and uploaded using FTP software....

Could you please give me example how I should answer to your question?

Thank you so so much.

Thursday, January 24, 2019 3:10 AM
  • She is asking to find out your work flow:  if you are working on a local copy of your site, making changes there, then uploading the changed pages to your live site (that's the proper way to update your site), or if you are opening a page from your live site, and updating it directly.

Doing it the first way allows you to make changes locally, test them by previewing the results in a browser, and then when you are happy with the result, transferring the changed pages to the live site.

Doing it the second way does not give you a chance to test your changes before they are put on the live site.

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls
    My recommended web hosting company: RDOServers

Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:28 PM
  • When you work on your site in EW4, how do you start?  It sounds like you are editing your site on your local PC, which is good. Do you open EW, then go to site ->open site, or site -> recent sites?    When your site is open, and you click on the "Reports" tab near the bottom, then click on Dynamic Web Templates, does it report that all your pages are associated with your DWT?

When you make a change in your DWT, did you click "yes" when you saved the changes and EW asked if it should update all the connected pages?   Was the number of connected pages it reported that it would update the correct number - the number of pages you think are connected to that DWT?

And finally, did you publish *all* the changed pages, not the DWT, to your live site?

(You should also,  before publishing anything, preview your pages in a browser to make sure all your changes are as expected.   Use EW's preview in browser icon, next to the icon that says "SP".)

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, January 24, 2019 6:24 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2019 4:33 PM