none
Are there alternatives available to Expression Web 4 yet? RRS feed

• Question

• For most of the website I support EW4 has been adequate, and I can switch to Visual Studio if I need to do anything more complex, but I've recently done some upgrades and now I really, really need a zoom to deal with the 4K monitors. Trying to set  a map when the image is shown so small is pretty close to impossible. I don't have enough desk space to put an old monitor on. Here's what I see:

Expression Web 4

Thursday, April 25, 2019 4:07 AM

Answers

• If you are looking for an alternative from Microsoft, no, nor would I expect there to be.

As far as EW's look on a 4K monitor, someone found a fix to have it display at normal (readable) size and posted it ages ago, but you'd have to search the forum (I've had no luck finding it again).  It's not something you configure in EW itself.

Added: I did find this, a way to fix programs that weren't written for high res monitors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0txqaGV8Hi4  This assumes you are running an up to date Win 10 -  DPI settings per program wasn't available when Win 10 first came out.   See if that works.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, April 25, 2019 5:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by BillseyLCIS Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:01 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 5:44 AM

All replies

• If you are looking for an alternative from Microsoft, no, nor would I expect there to be.

As far as EW's look on a 4K monitor, someone found a fix to have it display at normal (readable) size and posted it ages ago, but you'd have to search the forum (I've had no luck finding it again).  It's not something you configure in EW itself.

Added: I did find this, a way to fix programs that weren't written for high res monitors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0txqaGV8Hi4  This assumes you are running an up to date Win 10 -  DPI settings per program wasn't available when Win 10 first came out.   See if that works.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, April 25, 2019 5:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by BillseyLCIS Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:01 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 5:44 AM
  • Hi - yes this high res/DPI stuff can be tricky...
    Here's a previous post I found useful on the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/expression/en-US/04ab913e-8eb0-4dae-811f-5df3a1dba64f/wysiwyg-problem-with-windows-10-and-expression-web-4?forum=web#6a2ca1d7-26b0-4553-b062-ae33dde8a166

As per my reply to the above post, I installed it in 2016 and things have been fine since.
    The MS download is still available, but I notice it says it's "no longer actively supported" - but might be worth you investigating.
    Later Windows Updates are changing things - not always for the better!

Let us know how you get on.

I've just watched the YT video Kathleen linked to - I wonder if MS have built in the MS Application Compatibility Toolkit as it's a similar (but easier) thing :)

EDIT: It looks like the forum no longer allows links? You'll need to cut/paste the above unless it sorts itself out.

• Edited by Badger_UK Thursday, April 25, 2019 10:16 AM
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 10:08 AM
  • That worked somewhat, it's back to being usable. :)
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:04 PM
  • This one either doesn't work any longer or I was just trying to run incompatible versions. I could install both the ADK and Compatibility Administrator, but the latter generates an error saying it won't run on my version of Windows (1809). :(
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:15 PM