none
Wordpress or Expression web

Question

• I am looking for the difference between  WordPress  and  Expression web and I would like to know what  would be the best choice to create a small website

Please can  you advise me

Regards

polachan

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 2:20 PM

All replies

• WordPress is a content management system targeted toward sites that have a blog, although you don't need to include a blog. Expression Web is a professional-level website design tool.

You do not need to be a professional to use Expression Web, but you must know (or learn) HTML and CSS, and you will design your site from scratch (or start with one of the templates that comes with EW, which are basic, or find a template online to use).  For WordPress you would use a WordPress template, either a freely available one or a purchased one. For WordPress you would need to know how to set it up (including how to secure the administrative area, or it will be hacked within minutes), how to create pages and content, and how to continually update it to stay ahead of the latest security attacks on it.

They are apples and oranges.   Either one can get you a site.   It depends on what you want to learn: How to use WordPress, or the more general knowledge of HTML and CSS?

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 5:28 PM
  • I heard that, Microsoft going to stop  Expression Web  enhancement and it is going to stop in future. Please can you let me know is that right. If we use Expression Web , will it create any difficulties in the future.

Regards

Pol

polachan

Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:06 PM
  • No, it will not cause future difficulties.  Use it until there is something you need to do that can't be done with it, which should be a long time from now.  Things that have been done with EW will not suddenly stop working.

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls

Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:58 PM
  • MS announced they stopped development on Expression Web in December of 2012. I think that answers your question, since this forum still exists and we are still using it. It's an HTML and CSS editor. Until websites stop being created with HTML and CSS, Expression Web will continue to be useful.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

Thursday, March 31, 2016 2:35 PM
  • Does that mean since 2012 there have been NO improvements/maintenances/fixes AT ALL?

just asking, as Im trying to figure out which tool to use (totally newbye)

• Edited by Fana T Monday, March 13, 2017 3:53 AM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 3:53 AM
  • That means exactly that: it is not under any active development. The last released version of EW4 is the last release at all: it has the final changes and bug fixes. And it's completely free to anyone.  The only support they provide is keeping this forum up, but MS does not post here. It's a user-to-user forum (which it has always been, although a few MS people did drop in when EW was under active development).

It's a good program.  It doesn't have any bugs that need fixing.  It does what you need to create a website and publish it, as long as you are willing to learn the basics of websites: HTML, CSS (and optionally but sometimes handy, JavaScript).

Now, what it is not is a "site builder".   It won't create sites for you, or do so dragging and dropping widgets onto the page.  Neither is it WordPress, where you can create pages online, which has its own learning curve (and a considerable amount of bloat).  The real question is: what are you looking to learn and what result are you after?

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Monday, March 13, 2017 3:25 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 3:19 PM
  • EW4 is ok for PHP.  If you want to do any significant Javascript use either Visual Studio community edition or Visual Studio Code.  Visual Studio Code works great for HTML, CSS, Javascript, Typescript and ok on PHP.  People have done lots of plugins like HTML snippets etc.
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:48 AM