none
Can Not Upload Updates. Getting "The Server Connection Timed Out" message

General discussion

• I have spoken to the website host and they reset something on their end, but I am still getting this message. There was a windows update on my computer before this happened. I can follow simple directions, but I am not tech savvy. Waiting anxiously for your help. If this was something I could go tot the "Geek Squad" for I would. My website is www.KinshipCompanions.com.  Thank you in advance for all advice and patience.
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:57 PM

All replies

• Are you able to connect to the server? Do any of the files publish?

I have no idea what causes the problem BUT I have one site hosted on a different server that gives me this message anytime I select Publish all changed files. The publishing appears to stop at a point when the message pops up. However all files do appear to publish. I do not get the message when I select Publish Current File or when I highlight a few files and push them across with the arrow key. Not much help in solving your problem.

I did try and change the number of connections allowed but it did not solve the problem. So I just click OK and make sure everything has published.

pat

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:10 PM
  • Pat, Thank you for taking the time to help me out.  I double checked after your explanation just in case, but we are not getting any pages publishing. Also, I believe that when I spoke to the web host they said that they are not getting any communications from me, so the problem is on my end. No publishing at all. And, I think it started when I had a Windows update a couple of weeks ago. 

I think that we had an error message at one point that our server settings were error'd. But, I can't figure out what I could possibly need to change in my settings.. from what little I can make sense of settings. 

It is not as if there are any complicated codes or anything, there are just areas that you have to enter your website to publish it. 

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:15 AM
  • Have you tried checking / unchecking the Use Passive FTP checkbox?
    Tools > Applictaion options > FTP tab.

Expression Web MVP

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Well if you said GoDaddy was you host you might have gotten better responses. They aren't a very good host and do things in non-standard ways, especially when it comes to forms. Expression Web is very standards orient - see the conflict.

What Paladyn was saying is that double posting pushes someone off the first page of the forum. That may mean they don't get an answer to their question. In the future why not refresh the page BEFORE you post a second time. This forum has, well to be kind call it idiosyncrasies.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:07 AM
  • This thread dates from 2012. I've been using Expression Web 4, and all it's ancestors back to the 1st FrontPage app. Have never experienced the "The Server Connection Timed Out" until Jan. 1, 2019. My upload history is a minimum of once every month, and sometimes more. Multiple folders, all with either .jpg files, or .htm files (nothing of large file size) and up to 4K or so files in every upload. Expression Web 4 has always performed flawlessly. Jan1, 2019, I uploaded about 1.2K of files in the first upload, EW4 connected, showed parallel directories local & remote, all navigation good. I always clean out the remote directory to prevent stray file retention there, then publish "all changed files". EW4 reports the # of files, reports successful completion w/no file errors, and stops. Remote site mght or might not error with "TSCTO", if error, then once at completion, then once a few seconds later at the refresh point. The next try might word or might not, the key to whether it worked is the file size at remote, and the status mismatch between local & remote. Sometimes will will not take anything except one file at a time. When it fails, might be for all files attempted, or spotty uploads and failures. At it's worse, except for all files, only about 20% get through. What had taken me 15 mins., now is a 4-5 hr. chore. Host has viewed from their end as I demonstrated for their analysis. They can see the shortfall, but at the same time acknowledge that all access and execution parameters are correct, but cannot identify the problem. No such problem exists if I use the Remote Site control room to upload via the Internet Connection. Host tech recommended transition from EW4 because it's no longer supported. I didn't pursue it after the Jan1, 2019 failure, and waited for my Feb1 update. Same problem exists. My files are of two creations: My interface pages (routing to my directories) are all gone with EW4, and the format is 20+ years old, with little deviation excepts text updates or pic changes (minor); those pages never fail. All other folders are created by other programs (genealogy software, Corel Paint, or PowerPDF, and they're just "vanilla" type files, but in every case the dreaded "TSCTO" appears randomly, but continually. Any new ideas?
    Friday, February 1, 2019 10:03 PM
  • You should have started a new thread, not resurrected one from 2012.

There is no reason to assume they are related.

Since the problem is with your computer/EW installation and your host, don't assume anyone else can help you.  I  have no problem publishing sites with EW4, to different hosts.  On the other hand, there are hosts that use newer secure FTP variations that EW4 has no knowledge of and in that case, since EW4 will not be updated, that requires using a different FTP client other than EW4.  If that were the case with you, I'd be surprised that any files published, but ... who knows.

All I can suggest is to publish your files with a different FTP client and see if it solves the problem.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Sunday, February 3, 2019 2:23 AM