none
Expression Web 2 Trial Installation Problem RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi team

    I have trawled these forums and have found a few people with the same issue but none of the posted resolves ahave, well, resolved my issue. I am running Vista Business 32 bit with a ton or RAM and HDD space. I have been using Expression Web 1 for a long time now and love it, so naturally I am tempted by version 2. I duly downloaded the install file and tried to install it. After installing .Net 3.5 and what-have-you, the installation bombed with an error including the following (there is more but this is the crux of it:

    A problem occurred while installing selected Expression components.

    Installation of the "Microsoft Expression Web 2" product has reported the following error: Installation of the "Microsoft Expression Web 2" product has reported the following error: Error code = -2147024873

    It then suggests I resolve this issue before continuing. Googling and searching various forums, even outside the Expression box, resulted in many people having the same issue and a few resolving it by different means. I have tried redownloading the setup file (which installed happily on my laptop, so I can at least see how the thing looks, but I would like EW2 on my dev machine). I tried running the setup exe as Administrator, I have tried renaming the OSE.EXE file in the comon folders, I have tried uninstalling version 1, I have tried the MS Office 2007 (Enterprise) repair option and I have cleaned all junk and temp files and folders of extranous files - all fixes mooted in these forums. None has worked and so here I am, asking again for ideas. I have a complete log file, if that is any use to anyone I will post it here - the contents are similar to those already posted by users with the same issue; it bombs in exactly the same place.

    Someone also suggested it might be a registry permissions error - I have run the subinacl tool to reset all registry permissions to default so this may not be the cause.

    While I am resigned to the fact it might not actually ever work on this machine, I hope not, as I expect to receive a copy of it in an Action Pack update at some point and it will be a real bummer not to be able to use it.

    Thanks for your time and trouble.

    Dave Thompson



    • Edited by computerkungfu Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:15 AM formatting issue
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:13 AM

All replies

  • Try downloading the EW installer file again, but delete the one you have first.

    The error code you posted indicates a corrupt install file.
    FrontPage MVP
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:32 PM
  • computerkungfu said:

    Hi team

    I have trawled these forums and have found a few people with the same issue but none of the posted resolves ahave, well, resolved my issue. I am running Vista Business 32 bit with a ton or RAM and HDD space. I have been using Expression Web 1 for a long time now and love it, so naturally I am tempted by version 2. I duly downloaded the install file and tried to install it. After installing .Net 3.5 and what-have-you, the installation bombed with an error including the following (there is more but this is the crux of it:

    A problem occurred while installing selected Expression components.

    Installation of the "Microsoft Expression Web 2" product has reported the following error: Installation of the "Microsoft Expression Web 2" product has reported the following error: Error code = -2147024873

    It then suggests I resolve this issue before continuing. Googling and searching various forums, even outside the Expression box, resulted in many people having the same issue and a few resolving it by different means. I have tried redownloading the setup file (which installed happily on my laptop, so I can at least see how the thing looks, but I would like EW2 on my dev machine). I tried running the setup exe as Administrator, I have tried renaming the OSE.EXE file in the comon folders, I have tried uninstalling version 1, I have tried the MS Office 2007 (Enterprise) repair option and I have cleaned all junk and temp files and folders of extranous files - all fixes mooted in these forums. None has worked and so here I am, asking again for ideas. I have a complete log file, if that is any use to anyone I will post it here - the contents are similar to those already posted by users with the same issue; it bombs in exactly the same place.

    Someone also suggested it might be a registry permissions error - I have run the subinacl tool to reset all registry permissions to default so this may not be the cause.

    While I am resigned to the fact it might not actually ever work on this machine, I hope not, as I expect to receive a copy of it in an Action Pack update at some point and it will be a real bummer not to be able to use it.

    Thanks for your time and trouble.

    Dave Thompson



    Managed to get it installed, though I am not sure how, which I apologise for as I know it is annoying to find someone posting the same error and fixing it without knowing how. All I can say is that I tried all suggestions in the forum; this morning when I restarted I thought I would 'give it a go' and lo and behold the installation went ahead no problems. Go figure! Thanks for anyone's time (apparently there was 1 reply but I cannot view it).


    Dave Thompson


    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 9:39 PM