none
Expression Web 4 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot open Expression Web after Windows 10 upgrade.

Error message:  "Microsoft Expression Web has stopped working" "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly" "windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

No solution found so completely useless program.

Help please?

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 8:29 PM

Answers

• Steve,

Good morning. Just do a reinstall of EW on the computer. I have two computers that I updatee to Windows 10 with EW4 SP1 installed and I did not have any issues.

• Marked as answer by Steve, London Friday, August 7, 2015 7:08 AM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:34 PM

All replies

• No one can tell you what caused that message.

All I can say is that upgrading to Win 7 had no negative effect on Expression Web, for me.

You could try the obvious: uninstall it, download a fresh copy, and reinstall it.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 11:16 PM
  • I do not understand why anyone would upgrade to a brand new OS less than a week after it was launched, especially if they are unable to do their own diagnostics.

Give it a rest; let other people--people with technical resources--find the bugs and work them out. Common sense.

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?" "Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue." It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 1:02 AM
  • Bill,

Unlike earlier versions of Windows, Win 10 had millions (literally) of test users giving feedback for many months.  The quality level of the release version is extremely high.  There is no reason to hold off upgrading.  (I'm not saying you have to rush, but this isn't a Vista or Win 8 rollout.)

• Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, August 5, 2015 3:25 AM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 1:53 AM
  • I understand that, Kathy; I've been following the process (but not participating in the development program)--why should I do Microsoft's work for free, right?. I've done enough of that in here, as have you and others, while MS management gets filthy rich from donated labor.

But there ARE problems and there are shortcomings--there always are, especially 5 days after the rollout.

I subscribe to feeds from well-respected computer experts and their upgrades don't always go smoothly--file permission problems, hardware glitches, networking, etc. Mostly very good, but not perfect. And if you can't do your own troubleshooting, that's a risk you take. If you've got a spare computer to try it on, fine. If you can't afford to have your only computer borked in a way that exceeds your skills to fix it, you shouldn't do it--not this early. It's just common sense.

But it seems from the OP's question that he's now stranded because he can't use EW ("No solution found so completely useless program.") If he had a spare computer, the program wouldn't be useless. If he had the skills to troubleshoot it, it wouldn't be useless. He took on a task that was apparently beyond his skill level, and for what?

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?" "Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue." It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 3:34 AM
  • I doubt the OP will be stranded if he tries reinstalling EW.  We'll have to wait and see if he reports back.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Bill,

Unlike earlier versions of Windows, Win 10 had millions (literally) of test users giving feedback for many months.  The quality level of the release version is extremely high.  There is no reason to hold off upgrading.  (I'm not saying you have to rush, but this isn't a Vista or Win 8 rollout.)

Windows 10 is a security nightmare.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html

Expression Web MVP

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:32 PM
  • Steve,

Good morning. Just do a reinstall of EW on the computer. I have two computers that I updatee to Windows 10 with EW4 SP1 installed and I did not have any issues.

• Marked as answer by Steve, London Friday, August 7, 2015 7:08 AM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:34 PM
  • Same thing happened to me just now!

I got the notice on my laptop that Windows 10 was ready to install. I was in the middle of something so I clicked the window to shut and not install. It had just started its "10 second" computer check.

By chance, after I stopped it, I just then went to open Expression Web 4 and I got the "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly" notice.

I've been using EW4 for years on this laptop, no problems. So something in the Windows 10 installer immediately prevents EW4 from working.

I tried reinstalling EW4 and got the same error.

I'm now reinstalling the .NET framework and a clean install of EW4, which will, of course, wipe out all my saved snippets and configurations.

UPDATE: Reinstalled the .NET framework after reading the Windows error logs and finding that .NET was crashing also. Figured that was stopping EW4 from working. Then I uninstalled EW4 and reinstalled it. 

EW4 still crashing on startup. It starts to load and then I immediately get the "Microsoft Expression Web 4 has stopped working" error.

UPDATE 2: Got it working, have to select EW4 and "Run as Administrator", it seems to be working now, so try that first? I lost all my settings but hopefully can restore them and my snippets from my desktop copy.

Your snippets are located in the C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Expression\Web 4\mySnippets  folder, always make a backup of that folder.

Rick.

• Edited by Sodiac Wednesday, August 5, 2015 8:06 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:55 PM
  • Many thanks for answering this. Yes, I reinstalled EW and it works fine now on W10.
    Friday, August 7, 2015 7:09 AM
  • It WAS WORKING ON Wndows 10 for me, then suddenly I received the error message you had been getting. It must have been one of those automatic updates (which we cannot stop) which has introduced something.

I trieda completeuninstall (Using Nevo Uninstaller and removing all settings etc.) then fresh install, and still the probkllem persists.

Ran it under "Administrator" and still no luck! :-(

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:56 AM
  • I have a WiFi hotspot and router running which I wrote myself using node.js under Linux. All requested domains are logged and then answered only if I have specifically allowed for it. My Windows 10 surface as a client of that hotspot is amazing to watch as it makes multiple request per second to a wide variety of URLs. Many have large post data records in the header which I can only assume is the data being gathered to spy on my activity. Almost all those requests are returned a "404 File not found" header when the domain is not on the allowed list but the Surface doesn't relent. It just keeps banging away with requests. Otherwise as a user of the Surface it works as intended.

Deleting all of the active tiles on the desktop does reduce the traffic quite a bit but doesn't end it.

If you use expensive data like a cell phone hotspot Windows 10 will eat a hole in your pocket book.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:32 PM
  • Bandit,

You should review your privacy settings for Win 10.  It sounds like you installed it with the "everything is in the cloud, talk to MS about everything" options wide open.   You do have some choices (depending on what features you want to enable).

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 10:02 PM

• UPDATE 2: Got it working, have to select EW4 and "Run as Administrator", it seems to be working now, so try that first? I lost all my settings but hopefully can restore them and my snippets from my desktop copy.

Rick.

Many thanks Rick!!!

That Microsoft not thinking of that sollussion.

Many thanks, it's working now!!!

Greets, Bonus from Holland

Saturday, February 27, 2016 10:52 AM