none
Remove tab

Question

• I want to remove the Site View tab.

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Many, many thanks!

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 3:19 PM

All replies

• Well, the first, most obvious question is why on earth would you want to do this? Site View provides access to reporting functionality not available anywhere else. As far as removing file/folder display and access, those are available through several other means/menus, not to mention Folder List, so removing it would not do that. Publishing functions are available through the Site menu, with even more options/flexibility than the Site View "Publishing" tab provides. Hyperlinks are available under "View|Site|Hyperlinks." So, AFAIK, only those 15 specialized reports under the "Reports" tab are unique to Site View.

The best way to get a meaningful answer in a forum is to state what your objective is, and ask how to accomplish that end. Limit access to site files? An Expression-only solution won't do it, since site files can be loaded into Notepad, or any other HTML editor, and edited. Instead, use administrative tools to set permissions on site folders. Prevent unauthorized edits from being published? Change the site password and remove it from "Publishing Settings." Authorized users (who have the password) will be prompted and can enter it when publishing, others don't and can't.

So, what, exactly, are you trying to do?

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 6:50 PM
  • I share the question of why you would want to do it.  The answer, I believe, is that you can't.

You can hide or display the various side panels (which can then be easily shown or hidden again), but you can't remove the center, default working section, which is the site tab and its bottom sub tabs.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:30 AM
  • I've used Expression for years.  Until recently, the Site tab has never been present.

Now, there is a extraordinary delay in loading pages (up to 30 seconds) presumably while Expression populates the Site View.

I want it gone!

Incidentally, when Expression "misbehaves" in some manner, I fallback to FrontPage which never fails.

Thanks for your help.

M

Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:15 PM
  • Heh -- that's a long ways to fall

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls
    My recommended web hosting company: RDOServers

Thursday, November 1, 2018 3:35 PM
  • What version of EW are you using?  Are you editing a local copy of your site, or trying to "edit live" (not a good idea).

Kathleen Wilber

Thursday, November 1, 2018 5:07 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.
    For years I've been using Expression... without the Web View tab.  I have no need as I use an FTP app.  Simply put, Expression performs much better without the tab active.

Again, thank you.

M

Saturday, November 3, 2018 4:06 PM
  • You didn't answer if you were editing "live" or working on a local copy and publishing it.  You also didn't answer what version of EW you are using.  I'm answering for EW4, and local editing-then-publishing.

Kathleen Wilber

Saturday, November 3, 2018 8:05 PM