none
Web Expression 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have begun to build a site using expression 2, I imported an old site from frontpage, removed the theme and have now begun to add "NEW" pages

All new pages I create wind up with a smaller font (looks like about 8pt), even though I reset to correct font size (12pt),
    all the shared borders font in the new pages shows up smaller as well. 

Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I do select new page and then after building save as ASP

Thanks

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:21 PM

Answers

• How and where are you setting font size?
    It should be done using CSS

Keep in mind, the font setting dropdown n the toolbar is for code view.

Expression Web MVP
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:45 PM
  • You are aware that Expression Web does not support shared borders beyond recognizing those that exist, right? Also, why are you saving your pages as ASP? Do you have VBScript ASP code in the pages? EW does not support ASP with Intellisense or any other aids, and the development server will not run it, so you will be out of luck testing your pages unless you install a server (IIS or Apache with something like Chilisoft ASP) that does support it.

As suggested, you really need to have a look at the learning resources in the BEFORE POSTING/BEFORE YOU POST sticky thread at the beginning of the forum thread list. EW is NOT FrontPage, not even close, and offers full support only for FPSE publishing features, and limited or no support for other FP features that require the FPSE. You should definitely check out the resources on migrating from FP to EW, because it is NOT as simple as opening an FP-generated page in EW and starting to try to work the way you did in FP. That path leads only to grief and frustration.

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:11 PM

All replies

• Read the "Before Posting" post near the top of this page.  Among other things, you'll note that we are not psychic, and can't tell what you have done if we can't see your site.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:44 PM
  • How and where are you setting font size?
    It should be done using CSS

Keep in mind, the font setting dropdown n the toolbar is for code view.

Expression Web MVP
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:45 PM
  • You are aware that Expression Web does not support shared borders beyond recognizing those that exist, right? Also, why are you saving your pages as ASP? Do you have VBScript ASP code in the pages? EW does not support ASP with Intellisense or any other aids, and the development server will not run it, so you will be out of luck testing your pages unless you install a server (IIS or Apache with something like Chilisoft ASP) that does support it.

As suggested, you really need to have a look at the learning resources in the BEFORE POSTING/BEFORE YOU POST sticky thread at the beginning of the forum thread list. EW is NOT FrontPage, not even close, and offers full support only for FPSE publishing features, and limited or no support for other FP features that require the FPSE. You should definitely check out the resources on migrating from FP to EW, because it is NOT as simple as opening an FP-generated page in EW and starting to try to work the way you did in FP. That path leads only to grief and frustration.

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:11 PM
  • vintageart,

As someone who had a Frontpage site with shared borders that had to get updated the advice I got here and used was to use DWT's. I made a DWT that looked like my old shared border arrangement more or less and it looks and works the same. Put whatever you have in the shared border on it and then attach it to the pages.

Because EW does not have the shared border tools I used Frontpage to make the DWT so that page by page I could first turn off the shared border for a page and then attach the DWT. From what I can tell the DWTs from FP03 are the same as those in EW or nearly so that they work fine. Remember you still need to address other issues on those pages like doctypes and depricated code that FP cranked out.

Keep publishing with the FPSE's until you are sure you no longer need them for features like shared borders, search, forms, etc. At some point you can drop the FPSE's but dont do it until you are sure your shared borders are functionaly replaced by the DWT and you have addressed any other funtions that are FPSE dependant.

By the way, shared borders were pretty limited in that you had to have the same shared border for every page that used it. With DWTs you can make as many different versions as you want and attach them as desired so if you have a site that would benifit from differing look and feel or structure in some sections then DWT's are an exciting and powerfull way to get that result. 

Others may not agree but I found it better to do the cleanup and changes that I could in FP then started using EW. There is no reason why you cant use both until you are sure you fixed up everything. Use EW to make any new pages starting now however since you do not want to create any new work with FP and take a chance at generating non compliant code.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:30 PM