none
NOVICE USER - Can't transfer files with FTP to GoDaddy

Question

•  I host my golf team's website with GoDaddy.  I use Expression Web to make my updates.  My computer recently crashed, and I had to reinstall.   In the past, I used the Import Site Wizard -- edited the files -- the clicked Save and my page would update.  Now, for some reason, I can't use the darn "Import Site Wizard" to get anything from GoDaddy. (I used to use the FTP)  It just keeps asking for my username and password -- which I know is correct.  Would anything have been changed on GoDaddy's end in the last year?

I appreciate the help.

Jared

Saturday, September 8, 2018 7:49 PM

All replies

• Your terminology is a bit confusing (if you import a site, you edit it locally, and it will not update your live site until you publish the change), however if my guess is that you lost your local copy of your site and want to download it to your PC, the process is:

Open EW4.  Use the Site menu and create a new, empty local site.  Put it in a location, and give it a name, that makes sense to you.  (The local folder and the local name of your site don't impact anything related to your live site.)

With this new, empty site open, create a Publishing Destination for it that is an FTP connection, and enter your GoDaddy credentials.  One way to do this is to use the Publishing Settings submenu under the Site menu.

When you've created your new Publishing Destination, try to Connect.  If you entered your FTP credentials correctly, you should see, in the Publishing window, your local empty site on the left, and your live site and its files on the right.

You can then select files on the right (live site) and press the right-to-left arrow to move them down to your PC (on the left).  Once all your files are down, you can close the FTP connection.   Edit your local files, preview changes in various browsers, and when you are happy with your changes, go to Publishing again, connect, and publish your changes.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Saturday, September 8, 2018 8:14 PM
    Saturday, September 8, 2018 8:11 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you are saying about the Publishing Destination.  I just can't get it to work.  (Do I have to put something on the label "Directory"?)

I am confused as to why, when I do what I am almost positive that I did before (trying to use the Import Site Wizard using FTP) I am not able to do it.  I don't get an incorrect password error or anything.  I just keep getting an:

FTP transmits the <g class="gr_ gr_707 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" data-gr-id="707" id="707">user name</g> and password without encryption. If possible, open the site by using an HTTP URL to help protect it from potential network attacks.  

over and over.

Sorry for my incorrect lingo -- I am very new to this.

I sure appreciate the help.

I am trying to work on my high school's site.   www.greatoakgolf.com   It's hosted by GoDaddy.

Jared

Monday, September 10, 2018 8:30 AM
  • First of all, that is just a normal FTP warning for a non secured connection. It isn't the cause of your problems.

Don't use Site Import.   Try what I suggested and see if it connects, and if so, to what directory.

Otherwise, you need to ask GoDaddy what your correct settings should be.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:28 AM