none
Advertising my site on Google and other search engines RRS feed

• Question

• I have all the meta tags in place but still do not get picked up by Google or anyone else....what do I need to do in my design to have search engines pick my site up and land on the first page? Google is free right? I don't show up anywhere.

my site is www.cherokeemountain.com

please help, my business is suffering badly for lack of online advertisement!

Thanks!

Monday, August 22, 2011 6:30 PM

Answers

• That is one heck of a lot of keywords. However, there is little content typing those keywords to the pages. To Google and Bing, keywords are of little to no importance at the expense of content.

Have you registered into Google and Bings web master tools? Do so if not. Create site maps and submit them if you haven't done so already. Read the information on both search sites as to making the most out of their services.

Take care, Mike

Monday, August 22, 2011 6:38 PM
  • Hi Erin,

A sitemap is a special type of file that lays out your site for the search engines. A site structure map if you will. Yahoo also has another requirement (a key) placed into the head area of your web site. Anyway, the sitemap will be an xml file.

In addition to this file placed in the root of your web site, you will need to submit it to the search engines in your web master account area.

Google what a site map is.

Take care, Mike

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:06 PM
  • The major search engines all recognise and use xml site maps. There are several on-line site map creators and also an xWeb add-in that creates them.

See http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ for details and the on-=line tool

and http://gallery.expression.microsoft.com/SEOTools for the xWeb add-in.

In terms of keywords, they are more or less redundant. The SEs now concentrate on page content rather than keywords.

And don't forget the SE tools in xWeb V4.

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
  • First, this is not an EW question. EW is a design tool, not an SEO tool. SEO and SEM are entire branches of technology on their own, and there are scores of forums where it is discussed. You might want to check out the free SEO classes offered by Cricket Walker.

That said, looking at your site offers some clues. For example, I have absolutely no idea where "Eureka Springs" is located, nor Cherokee Mountain. I gather it's somewhere in the Ozarks, but that's a large territory. I know it's "minutes from downtown," but from downtown where? People googling for those kinds of accommodations use actual place names. If, like me, they have no idea where in blazes Cherokee Mountain or Eureka Springs are, not even the state, much less that they exist, they're not likely to enter them as search terms.

Another thing, as mentioned, Google has put out the official, clearly stated, unambiguous statement that they do NOT use meta keywords in their page ranking. Here's the word:

"A perennial favourite myth is probably the keywords meta tag. Google's head of Webspam and all-round search sage, Matt Cutts, says: "Google doesn't use the keywords meta tag in our scoring at all. It's just a waste of time to throw a lot of phrases into the keywords meta tag. It would be a better use of your effort to do things like speed up your website, because that can directly improve the usability of your site even independently of SEO." Meta tag descriptions, and certainly titles matter, but it's true the keyword tag is generally completely redundant across the board."

And in case that doesn't convince you, here's a video of the Man himself, at the Google Webmaster's Central Blog, disussing the issue.

SEO is a process separate from the mechanics of buidling and publishing a site. It should be taken into account in the design phase, but has little to do with what EW is intended to provide. You need to be asking in forums and venues dedicated to SEO, not here. Just sayin'...   ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:13 PM
  • IMHO, eliminate the keywords completely.
    If the keywords don't match the visible words on the page, Google will ignore the page.
    Google looks at page titles amd visible readable page content.

Expression Web MVP
    Monday, August 22, 2011 8:16 PM
  • Thanks Mike, I understand everything you suggested except the site maps....do you mean get on Googles Places/Maps, also the more keywords I have in my content the better...correct?

No, Google pretty much ignores keywords that are in meta tags and not in actual content on the page. If you want good results in search engines you need real, relevant content with proper use of headings in the body of your web page. That is many times more important than self choosen key words. You need to do some research and educate yourself on what Google and other search engines actually look for in ranking a stie. Start with the webmaster section on Google.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:25 AM
  • Why do you think Google hasn't found your site?

I Googled "Cherokee mountain resort" and your site was first on the list.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:58 AM
  • I'm guessing that she's looking for high placement with more-generic search terms. As the article "10 SEO Myths" points out, anyone can be top of the list for certain terms. the more specific, the more likely. If you google one of my clients, Earhart Refrigeration, he comes up not only first, but the entire first page.

Granted, he's been in business for seven years, but if you google the more-generic "Cincinnati refrigeration," he still comes up, but as one of a list of seven refrigeration-related companies in town. That ain't bad, since the list is at the top of the page, but he's not among the remaining entries on the first page. Not surprising, since those other entries have the exact search phrase, or both of the search terms, in their names.

Likewise, although the search term you used put her place right up there, googling the more-generic "Ozarks resorts" shows her nowhere in the first four pages, at which point I quit looking. And I think that that was her point. She wants people who don't already know about Cherokee Mountain resort to find it when looking for places in her area, without knowing in advance what her business name is, or even where Cherokee Mountain is, or that it exists. The more general the term that you want to get ranked on, the more competition there is for that term, and the lower the likelihood that you will achieve first-page ranking.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Erin, don't misunderstand; there are in fact valid, useful steps that you can take to enhance your position. If you want Eureka Springs to come up, for example, write actual content that discusses the area, mentioning the name frequently (and other terms you want found). While metadata keywords are ignored by the 800 lb. gorilla of the business, Google, keywords used in actual content are not.

For example, you might do a short history of the area, possibly including past military history, American Indian migrations or traditions, that kind of thing. That is seen as valid content, and increases the keyword density of the terms you want found. If possible, structure it semantically, using the terms in headings, for example, to increase their relevance scores. Or, you could do a mini-travelogue of the area, again mentioning place names and attractions, and again with the purpose of increasing keyword density in the content for those terms of interest.

There are many ways to improve your page rank, most of which involve your actual content. However, I was the one who said that this really isn't the place to ask, and it isn't. We focus primarily on design and development with EW, and are not SEO experts. I would advise you to find forums and discussion lists that do focus on SEO, and where such experts can be found. Google "SEO forum," or "SEO information," etc. and you will probably find plenty of information sources. Good luck!

cheers,
    scott

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Hi Erin,

It will be a while before Google moves your web site. But it does happen, especially when people other than from your IP address click-through on the links Google produces.

Another thing. When I google "Resorts in Arkansas," there are a lot of first-page results for various web sites that provide links to, well, various resorts in Arkansas. Perhaps a couple things. SEO likes proper, legitimate links from other sites. Perhaps making sure your site is listed with them, especially the Eureka Springs chamber of commerce web site, etc., will also be a good thing. As well, a page on your site listing those web sites provides a round-trip back link.

Anyway, more SEO is way beyond this forum. So read through some of the links provided on SEO and you will gain more ideas that will move your site up in the listings.

As a word of caution. If you google SEO, you will find a lot of services offering to make your site better listed. Stay away from them. You will also read all sorts of other bad advice (hidden text, a lot of keywords, etc.). Don't do those things as Google and Bing will penalize your listing.

Take care, Mike

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:33 PM

All replies

• That is one heck of a lot of keywords. However, there is little content typing those keywords to the pages. To Google and Bing, keywords are of little to no importance at the expense of content.

Have you registered into Google and Bings web master tools? Do so if not. Create site maps and submit them if you haven't done so already. Read the information on both search sites as to making the most out of their services.

Take care, Mike

Monday, August 22, 2011 6:38 PM
  • Thanks Mike, I understand everything you suggested except the site maps....do you mean get on Googles Places/Maps, also the more keywords I have in my content the better...correct?

Thanks,

Erin

Erin McAllister
    Monday, August 22, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Hi Erin,

A sitemap is a special type of file that lays out your site for the search engines. A site structure map if you will. Yahoo also has another requirement (a key) placed into the head area of your web site. Anyway, the sitemap will be an xml file.

In addition to this file placed in the root of your web site, you will need to submit it to the search engines in your web master account area.

Google what a site map is.

Take care, Mike

• The major search engines all recognise and use xml site maps. There are several on-line site map creators and also an xWeb add-in that creates them.

See http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ for details and the on-=line tool

and http://gallery.expression.microsoft.com/SEOTools for the xWeb add-in.

In terms of keywords, they are more or less redundant. The SEs now concentrate on page content rather than keywords.

And don't forget the SE tools in xWeb V4.

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
  • First, this is not an EW question. EW is a design tool, not an SEO tool. SEO and SEM are entire branches of technology on their own, and there are scores of forums where it is discussed. You might want to check out the free SEO classes offered by Cricket Walker.

That said, looking at your site offers some clues. For example, I have absolutely no idea where "Eureka Springs" is located, nor Cherokee Mountain. I gather it's somewhere in the Ozarks, but that's a large territory. I know it's "minutes from downtown," but from downtown where? People googling for those kinds of accommodations use actual place names. If, like me, they have no idea where in blazes Cherokee Mountain or Eureka Springs are, not even the state, much less that they exist, they're not likely to enter them as search terms.

Another thing, as mentioned, Google has put out the official, clearly stated, unambiguous statement that they do NOT use meta keywords in their page ranking. Here's the word:

"A perennial favourite myth is probably the keywords meta tag. Google's head of Webspam and all-round search sage, Matt Cutts, says: "Google doesn't use the keywords meta tag in our scoring at all. It's just a waste of time to throw a lot of phrases into the keywords meta tag. It would be a better use of your effort to do things like speed up your website, because that can directly improve the usability of your site even independently of SEO." Meta tag descriptions, and certainly titles matter, but it's true the keyword tag is generally completely redundant across the board."

And in case that doesn't convince you, here's a video of the Man himself, at the Google Webmaster's Central Blog, disussing the issue.

SEO is a process separate from the mechanics of buidling and publishing a site. It should be taken into account in the design phase, but has little to do with what EW is intended to provide. You need to be asking in forums and venues dedicated to SEO, not here. Just sayin'...   ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:13 PM
  • IMHO, eliminate the keywords completely.
    If the keywords don't match the visible words on the page, Google will ignore the page.
    Google looks at page titles amd visible readable page content.

Expression Web MVP
    Monday, August 22, 2011 8:16 PM

No, Google pretty much ignores keywords that are in meta tags and not in actual content on the page. If you want good results in search engines you need real, relevant content with proper use of headings in the body of your web page. That is many times more important than self choosen key words. You need to do some research and educate yourself on what Google and other search engines actually look for in ranking a stie. Start with the webmaster section on Google.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:25 AM
  • Why do you think Google hasn't found your site?

I Googled "Cherokee mountain resort" and your site was first on the list.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:58 AM
  • I'm guessing that she's looking for high placement with more-generic search terms. As the article "10 SEO Myths" points out, anyone can be top of the list for certain terms. the more specific, the more likely. If you google one of my clients, Earhart Refrigeration, he comes up not only first, but the entire first page.

Granted, he's been in business for seven years, but if you google the more-generic "Cincinnati refrigeration," he still comes up, but as one of a list of seven refrigeration-related companies in town. That ain't bad, since the list is at the top of the page, but he's not among the remaining entries on the first page. Not surprising, since those other entries have the exact search phrase, or both of the search terms, in their names.

Likewise, although the search term you used put her place right up there, googling the more-generic "Ozarks resorts" shows her nowhere in the first four pages, at which point I quit looking. And I think that that was her point. She wants people who don't already know about Cherokee Mountain resort to find it when looking for places in her area, without knowing in advance what her business name is, or even where Cherokee Mountain is, or that it exists. The more general the term that you want to get ranked on, the more competition there is for that term, and the lower the likelihood that you will achieve first-page ranking.

cheers,
    scott

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Exactly correct Scott, I can type in " Eureka Springs lodging' and my business is nowhere to be found. I am trying to reach those potential customers that are interested in the area, not so much the ones that know exactly where I am already, otherwise they can just call. I am pretty new at this so I have definately gotten some good advise so far from this forum. I had someone tell me this is not an EW issue, but didn't know who else to ask...so thanks so far guys! I built and submitted a site map, not sure how long before that will go into affect? Did away with the keywords as well so now just waiting I guess....

Thanks,

Erin

Erin McAllister
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Erin, don't misunderstand; there are in fact valid, useful steps that you can take to enhance your position. If you want Eureka Springs to come up, for example, write actual content that discusses the area, mentioning the name frequently (and other terms you want found). While metadata keywords are ignored by the 800 lb. gorilla of the business, Google, keywords used in actual content are not.

For example, you might do a short history of the area, possibly including past military history, American Indian migrations or traditions, that kind of thing. That is seen as valid content, and increases the keyword density of the terms you want found. If possible, structure it semantically, using the terms in headings, for example, to increase their relevance scores. Or, you could do a mini-travelogue of the area, again mentioning place names and attractions, and again with the purpose of increasing keyword density in the content for those terms of interest.

There are many ways to improve your page rank, most of which involve your actual content. However, I was the one who said that this really isn't the place to ask, and it isn't. We focus primarily on design and development with EW, and are not SEO experts. I would advise you to find forums and discussion lists that do focus on SEO, and where such experts can be found. Google "SEO forum," or "SEO information," etc. and you will probably find plenty of information sources. Good luck!

cheers,
    scott

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Hi Erin,

It will be a while before Google moves your web site. But it does happen, especially when people other than from your IP address click-through on the links Google produces.

Another thing. When I google "Resorts in Arkansas," there are a lot of first-page results for various web sites that provide links to, well, various resorts in Arkansas. Perhaps a couple things. SEO likes proper, legitimate links from other sites. Perhaps making sure your site is listed with them, especially the Eureka Springs chamber of commerce web site, etc., will also be a good thing. As well, a page on your site listing those web sites provides a round-trip back link.

Anyway, more SEO is way beyond this forum. So read through some of the links provided on SEO and you will gain more ideas that will move your site up in the listings.

As a word of caution. If you google SEO, you will find a lot of services offering to make your site better listed. Stay away from them. You will also read all sorts of other bad advice (hidden text, a lot of keywords, etc.). Don't do those things as Google and Bing will penalize your listing.

Take care, Mike

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:33 PM
  • thanks Scott...off in search of "seo forums" ha! Appreciate all your help!
    Erin McAllister
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:00 PM
  • thanks mike! you've been a tremendous help! At least I'm not freaking out and confused...or not as much anyway!

Later!

Erin McAllister
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Some SEO stuff worth reading is also in the help for EW4. Do note this information should be considered a primer.

One good source in help is "Understanding how search engines work"
    Another is "Title guidelines for SEO"
    And yet another is "SEO concepts"

Avail yourself of those help topics as a springboard for understanding/context of what else you are going to read up on.

Take care, Mike
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:42 PM