none
Migrating a cluster from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2016 RRS feed

• Pregunta

• Hi.

I am in the proccess of migrating a SQL Server Cluster and I would like to hear your opinion on all that has to be considered to have a successfull migration.

The specs of production cluster are:

1. Windows Server 2003 SP2 32 bits
     2. SQL Server 2005 Enterprise edition - 9.00.3152.00 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)
     3. Disk space is about 1.5TB including all databases.

The specs of destination cluster are:

1. Windows Server 2016 Standard 64 Bits
     2. SQL Server 2016 Standard 64 Bits
     3. Same disk as old cluster, but faster

Special Considerations:

- Cluster Name must be the same to avoid changes in applications, linked servers and other connections. I mean, we have to migrate with a different cluster name, then shut down old cluster and rename the new one using the old name (I hope this to be clear)

At this time what I have done and tested is the following:

1. Create and configure a Windows Failover Cluster using Windows Server 2016 (with a different name)
     2. Configure Active Directory to allow cluster to create objects
     3. Restoring a database from MSSQL 2005 to MSSQL 2016, run some queries and explore objects.

Things to do or consider:

- Download all SSIS packages to new project and test them against the new cluster. Once the cluster name changes, change SSIS to original name
     - Migrate all Jobs and make sure they run successfully
     - Test application that uses the migrated database
     - Create ODBC connections for Linked Servers pointing to SQL Server 2000 Databases (yes, we still use MSSQL 2000)
     - Backup Active Directory to have a rollback point in case something fail regarding cluster names (we have to delete old object and create a new one)
     - Configure SQL Replication.

I hope to be clear on this post. Any comment is welcome

martes, 22 de noviembre de 2016 21:49

Respuestas

• Well first and foremost you post this on the latin america (spanish speaking) forum, so if you want more english speakers try on the english version.

Overall you are doing a side by side migration with a new install.

For the most part you plan its solid, I would add:

dbcc checkdb with data purity

dbcc checkdb 

rebuild index all of them

check compatibility (if possible use 130 to take advantage of new cardinal estimator)

Migrate the SSIS packages, theres now a catalog for them.

Prepare a well defined tempdb

Set apropate growth for the log files to avoid high recovery time due to a failover

Over all I think you have a solid idea just let them work side by side for a while you can probably use dname to point to the other for a bit until you feel confortable with the solution. 

martes, 22 de noviembre de 2016 22:26

Todas las respuestas

• Well first and foremost you post this on the latin america (spanish speaking) forum, so if you want more english speakers try on the english version.

Overall you are doing a side by side migration with a new install.

For the most part you plan its solid, I would add:

dbcc checkdb with data purity

dbcc checkdb 

rebuild index all of them

check compatibility (if possible use 130 to take advantage of new cardinal estimator)

Migrate the SSIS packages, theres now a catalog for them.

Prepare a well defined tempdb

Set apropate growth for the log files to avoid high recovery time due to a failover

Over all I think you have a solid idea just let them work side by side for a while you can probably use dname to point to the other for a bit until you feel confortable with the solution. 

martes, 22 de noviembre de 2016 22:26
  • Thank you so much.

I'll consider the points you are adding on your answer.

miércoles, 23 de noviembre de 2016 0:30