Emulator repaint issues on Intel HD Graphics 4000

Question

• Hi All,

I have just bought a new laptop and I am trying to get the Emulator up and running so I can make my first WP7 app. I have installed the WP7 SDK, and all updates, however when i test the run the examples in the basic training kit I get weird repainting issues with the keyboard. That look like this.

What appears to happen is that certain areas do not get repainted, such as the keyboard.

What i have tried already, to no avail:
    * Updating my graphics drivers to the latest from my manufacturer
    * Trying to find updated drivers from Intel, none exist
    * Trying to find updated drivers from nVidia, but my graphics card is not supported in a unified driver
    * Running Visual Studio and/or the Emulator as Admin
    * Disabling hardware visualization
    * Running the Emulator using the nVidia graphics adapter
    * Running the Emulator using Intel graphics adapter
    * Disabling the Intel adapter entirely, but i can't
    * Updating DirectX to the latest
    * Reinstalling the SDK from the web installer and from ISO

Can someone please help me? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, i am tearing out my hair here ;).

I have included further details below.

System:
    ASUS N56VZ
    Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU (2.30GHz)
    8GB DDR3 1600MHz
    nVidia GT 650M (2GB) / Intel HD Graphics 4000
    1TB HDD

DirectX 11, WDDM 1.1
    Hardware Virtualization Supported
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:23 AM

All replies

• What desktop personalization theme are you using?  (Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization)

The XDE is known to have redraw problems when using a non-Aero theme. ex: one of the "Basic and High Contrast themes"

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:56 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Eric,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I think i remember reading something about that, my current theme is based off the "Windows 7" Aero Theme. I just tested a few of the different themes and there is no difference whether i use an Aero theme or one of the High Contrast themes (apart from my windows environment looking terrible of course ;).

Presuming that changing the theme and then running the emulator again is a sufficient test?
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Presuming that changing the theme and then running the emulator again is a sufficient test?
    Yes, that should be a sufficient test.

Does the repaint problem occur with any application you run in the emulator?
    (for example: Bing search, Internet Explorer, or simple silverlight application with only 1 textbox...)
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:08 PM
    Owner
  • Curiously the repaint problem only occurs with a custom silverlight application. When i use either Bing or IE the keyboard hides and gets repainted correctly, there are no display issues at all.
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:33 AM
  • I've got exactly the same problem with my brand new Alienware M14x R2 (Intel HD 4000 + GT 650M).

I think it's a driver issue with the Intel graphics, and I'm not able to force the emulator to use the nVidia card.

This is really annoying !
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Same here, also think its an issue with the intel iGPU. I have a Malibal P150EM - Intel HD 4000 and GTX675M and get the repainting issues too. IE and all the inbuilt emulator programs work fine. can't force the Emulator to run on the nvidia card.. Reason i think its the intel card is that everything works fine on my old laptop which had an Intel HD 3000 and GT425M graphics card..

EDIT  - here's a screenshot of an empty/default application running in the emulator http://i47.tinypic.com/2ef5dar.jpg
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 6:18 PM
  • The interesting question is whether anybody is running it on a computer that only has HD 4000 graphics. That would confirm whether or not the Intel graphics is a problem.

Some people had emulator issues with nVidia and Intel HD 3000, and the best results came from forcing it to use Intel. Try forcing XDE.exe, XdeLauncher.exe, and XDETools.exe all to use Intel graphics.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 7:20 PM
  • Hi mSpot Inc. and thanks for the help.

I just tried what you said but with no success.
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Well I'm glad to know that i am not the only one with this issue. But to be honest i am still not convinced this is entirely an Intel driver issue. Everyone on this thread who has complained has a Geforce 600 series graphics card as well as an Intel HD Graphics 4000 on board chip.

That being said both ASUS and nVidia have just released new graphics drivers. The ones from ASUS are version 296.67, and have had no effect. And the new 304.48 beta drivers that supposedly support 600 series graphics cards (including the 650M) fail to install because they don't detect compatible hardware.

To muddy the waters further if i force the Emulator to run on the nVidia graphics adapter (by shift + right click -> Run with graphics processor -> High Performance NVIDIA Graphics) the results are exactly the same as when i run it by default on the Intel adapter.

Do you guys get the same result when you do the above? Have you tried the latest nVidia drivers?
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:13 PM
  • I didn't try with the new drivers, but I will when I get home.

However I don't think the nVidia card has anything to do with this problem. You can't force it to run the emulator. You can confirm this by going to the nVidia Control Panel: Windows Phone Emulator's graphic card is grayed out. I think the option used when right-clicking does nothing for this application.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Well i discussed this with nVidia support about a week or so ago and they told me that you could. However i have a sneaking suspicion that you may just be right because if i enable the NVIDIA GPU Activity icon in the tray it doesn't show any activity when i run the Emulator supposedly with the nVidia card.

Anyway, let me know how you go with the driver.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:32 PM
  • I have the same issue. Are there are news?
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:43 PM
  • I tried to install the nVidia Beta drivers but with no success.

Maybe the final ones will install ?
    Monday, June 25, 2012 4:39 PM
  • I have the exact same problem on the Macbook Air with the Intel HD Graphics 4000. Having little luck trying to get it working. Disabling the GPU in the eumlator fixes the issue but introduces new issues.

I've tried to installed multiple versions of the Intel HD Graphics 4000 drivers and all of them have this same issue.

I'm supposed to present on Windows Phone at TechEd Europe this Friday. Looks like I'm going to have to find a different machine?

Any additional suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated!
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Yes, I have a Macbook Air that only has the Intel HD Graphics 4000 and this occurs when I use boot camp into Windows 7. It's absolutely related to the Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Here's a video of the behavior: http://t.co/kKBs5e8T
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:46 PM
  • I guess it is clear then that is an issue with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 adapter. I have updated the title of the thread to reflect this and reposted this topic on the Intel Support forums here, hopefully someone there can provide a solution.
    Friday, June 29, 2012 2:40 AM
  • Did anyone try those?
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Those drivers are older than the version I have installed currently. Do you have a reason for thinking they might work?
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:19 AM
  • I just tried those (older) drivers and confirmed that they do not resolve the issue.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:27 AM
  • Hi, I have the exact same issue. New Acer i7 laptop with nVidia GT 640M (2GB) / Intel HD Graphics 4000, WP7 emulator doesn't repaint. Have tried every combination of drivers and Nvidia Optiums settings, but it doesn't seem to help. 

Interestingly, I found this post reporting the same issue back in 2010. 

Here's a similar problem running Java apps; almost certainly Intel graphics related (looks like its to do with their throttling technology):

Is there any reason I can't run the emulator (XDE.exe) using my Nvidia card? I only have the option to run it on integrated graphics - maybe there's a way to trick it?
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:07 AM
  • I just tried those (older) drivers and confirmed that they do not resolve the issue.

How exactly are those older? Which version did you have?

This problem seems to get fixed when i plug another screen. Anyways, that's when the GeForce kicks in.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:54 PM
  • Hi guys,

I found a trick !
    If you need to take screenshots of your application (ex: for Marketplace submission), and you've got no way to make the emulator run on the nVidia card (like me), you can use the Silverlight Toolkit for Windows Phone.

Here are the steps:
    - Download it on http://silverlight.codeplex.com/
    - Reference it from your project
    - Open your Application class (usually named "App"), go to the InitializePhoneApplication() method, and change the line
    RootFrame = new PhoneApplicationFrame(); 
    to
    RootFrame = new TransitionFrame(); 
    - Take screenshots
    - Revert RootFrame to PhoneApplicationFrame if you don't use the toolkit's transitions
    Monday, July 16, 2012 12:26 PM
  • Hey, thanks!! I can confirm that using a TransitionFrame fixes the problem for me.

Even if I don't use transitions, it re-draws correctly; not a proper fix, but it'll do for now.
    Friday, July 20, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

I have a few questions:

Are working in your case the emulator with WP7 XNA games?

With what card Intel 4000 or NVIDIA?

It is possible to select the graphic card because it is a hybrid with Optimus selector?

I am tent to buy a laptop Sony with Intel 3rd Generation Ivy Bridge 2.1GHz Intel Core i7-3612QM

I have 2 options:

1. Geforce GT 640M LE/ Intel HD Graphics 4000 2GB a hybrid with Optimum 1920 x 1080 Native Resolution. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=862003&is=REG&si=rev
    2. Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000  1366 x 768 Native Resolution http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/865854-REG/Sony_SVE1511MFX_S_VAIO_E1511_SVE1511MFX_S_15_5.html

Is it possible the emulator to work with only Intel 4000?

Any suggestions, please
     Best regars

Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:55 AM
  • Thanks Luke! That trick seems to work for me now at least with my very simple demos. Although i must admit some naivety on my part, what are the ramifications of using this trick? i.e. what are the consequences in using a TransitionFrame?

Hi ADIBU CORP, as I and others have confirmed previously the issues noted here are specific to the Intel 4000 Graphics GPU and hence would likely affect both of the systems you have mentioned. Although I have only tested this with Silverlight applications so it could possibly be different with XNA games (although i doubt it).
    It is possible to "force" the system to use the NVIDIA graphics card for a specific application (by SHIFT + Right Click, Run with Graphics High Performance NVIDIA Processor) although i have not noticed any difference in doing so. And if you wish to see some of the specifications of others systems please read the entire read, thanks.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering I did not receive any response on the Intel forum so i contacted Intel customer support directly. As of the 9th of July they have forwarded my concern to the "appropriate support group" and i have yet to receive a subsequent response. I will post any updates here.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:26 PM
  • Hi,
    Thanks badmonkeh.com 
    So you believe Sony with integreted Intel 4000 will work or, to try to find one with only NVIDIA dedicated and no Optimus.
    Best regards.
    Friday, July 27, 2012 1:40 AM
  • Hi ADIBU CORP,
    As i have stated previously the issues are related to to the Intel 4000 Graphics GPU that is an integrated component of the 3rd Generation "Ivy Bridge" Intel Core CPUs. As far as I know it will affect any brand of laptop, Sony or otherwise, that incorporates this line of CPUs regardless of any other dedicated GPU.

So if you wish to mitigate these issues entirely i suggest you buy a laptop without a CPU in this range, or buy one anyway and use the solution suggested by Luke Ben MBay above and wait for a fix from Intel.

Best regards,

BadMonkeh
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Hi,
    badmonkeh.com thanks for the answer.
    Now is very clear for me.
    Best regards
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 9:07 PM
  • I can confirm that there is no problem with XNA games as the entire screen is redrawn.
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Hi.
    Thanks Luke Ben MBay.
    Best redards.
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Hi,

I have a few questions:

Are working in your case the emulator with WP7 XNA games?

With what card Intel 4000 or NVIDIA?

It is possible to select the graphic card because it is a hybrid with Optimus selector?

I am tent to buy a laptop Sony with Intel 3rd Generation Ivy Bridge 2.1GHz Intel Core i7-3612QM

I have 2 options:

1. Geforce GT 640M LE/ Intel HD Graphics 4000 2GB a hybrid with Optimum 1920 x 1080 Native Resolution. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=862003&is=REG&si=rev
    2. Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000  1366 x 768 Native Resolution http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/865854-REG/Sony_SVE1511MFX_S_VAIO_E1511_SVE1511MFX_S_15_5.html

Is it possible the emulator to work with only Intel 4000?

Any suggestions, please
    Best regars

Your first machine is exactly the same as my Acer laptop. Your second machine is the same as the Macbook air user who posted above. Both machines will almost certainly run into this repaint issue.

My laptop includes Optimus but it is NOT possible to run the emulator on the Nvida graphics card; only on the Intel. Nvidia have specifically put an entry for the WP7 emulator .exe in their Optimus software that greys out the option; this is likely due to some previous incompatibility reported by Microsoft.
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:51 AM

• Hi guys,

I found a trick !
    If you need to take screenshots of your application (ex: for Marketplace submission), and you've got no way to make the emulator run on the nVidia card (like me), you can use the Silverlight Toolkit for Windows Phone.

Here are the steps:
    - Download it on http://silverlight.codeplex.com/
    - Reference it from your project
    - Open your Application class (usually named "App"), go to the InitializePhoneApplication() method, and change the line
    RootFrame = new PhoneApplicationFrame(); 
    to
    RootFrame = new TransitionFrame(); 
    - Take screenshots
    - Revert RootFrame to PhoneApplicationFrame if you don't use the toolkit's transitions

Hi Luke Ben MBay

Can you provide a tutorial with your trick(The steps you provide is hard to follow). :)
    I'm new in programming for windows phone and I have the same problem with all of you
    I think this is a temporary fix for all of us until Intel fix it :D

Thanks Luke Ben MBay
    Monday, August 6, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Hi all,

I am looking into buying a new laptop where I prefer battery life over graphics.  So I would like to get just an Intel 4000 chip and NOT Optimus.  Has anyone reproduced this issue without an Optimus chip?

Also have any of you tried checking in your BIOS for options such as "Only enable on-board Intel graphics".

Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:25 PM
  • I've seen this on every single system I've used that has an HD4000 in it. Enabling on-board Intel graphics is what causes the problem.

I finally just broke down and bought an Radeon-based card for my desktop to get past the problem. As soon as I put a different card in and disabled the CPU's graphics, the problem went away.

Intel's drivers are junk.

Friday, August 24, 2012 1:11 PM
  • This works Perfectly!!!

I expand yopur answer in here: http://sebastianortiz.cl/glitch-graphics-on-windows-phone-emulator-7-1-with-intel-gma-30004000-hd/

Thank you!

Cheers.

Saturday, September 8, 2012 2:20 PM
  • I have Lenovo IdeaPad U410 with Intel 4000 and NVidia 610M.

I have found a problem of this display issue. At windowsphonegeeks.com I've read article, how to decrement frame rate: we need to make background of transition transparent:

RootFrame = new TransitionFrame() { Background = new SolidColorBrush(Colors.Transparent) }; 

But if disable this:

RootFrame = new TransitionFrame();

everything will be fine.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

Please tell me if is the wright choice.

I want to know if this laptop will be able to display the emulator or it is mandatory to have a dedicated graphic card.

Acer Aspire V5-571-6869-US 15.6"

• 1.7GHz Intel Core i5-3317U Dual-Core
    • 6GB of DDR3 RAM
    • 500GB Hard Drive (5400rpm)
    • Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000
    • 15.6" HD CineCrystal LED-Backlit Display
    • 1366 x 768 Native Resolution
    Best regards.

ADRIAN DIBU

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Hi,

Please tell me if is the wright choice.

I want to know if this laptop will be able to display the emulator or it is mandatory to have a dedicated graphic card.

Acer Aspire V5-571-6869-US 15.6"

• 1.7GHz Intel Core i5-3317U Dual-Core
    • 6GB of DDR3 RAM
    • 500GB Hard Drive (5400rpm)
    • Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000
    • 15.6" HD CineCrystal LED-Backlit Display
    • 1366 x 768 Native Resolution
    Best regards.

ADRIAN DIBU

I think will, but you should use TransitionFrame from Silverlight toolkit for Windows Phone:

RootFrame = new TransitionFrame();

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:27 PM
  • this issue is fixed guys...

get the latest download from windows updates (graphc HD4000 driver)

26/9/2012

version 9.xx

I updated my macbook and no more refresh problem. Prior i had version 8.xx

vnt

• Edited by vnt4 Friday, October 26, 2012 5:32 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 5:32 AM
  • This it's the link to latest update:

File name:
    win32_15288.zip
    Version:
    Date:
    10/23/2012
    Current
    Size:
    108.93 MB
    Language:
    Multi language
    Operating Systems:
    Windows 7  *, Windows 7 (32-bit)*, Windows 7 Enterprise, 32-bit version*, Windows 7 Home Basic, 32-bit version*, Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit version*, Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit version*, Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit version*, Windows 8*, Windows 8, 32-bit*

I hope you find it useful

Regards

XTV

• Edited by J.E.Benito Monday, November 5, 2012 10:19 AM New drivers update
    • Proposed as answer by J.E.Benito Monday, November 5, 2012 10:20 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 6:40 AM
  • Confirming, updating Intel drives will fix this problem
    Friday, October 26, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Hi,
    Somebody have the chance to see working Windows Phone 8 emulator on

Toshiba - Satellite 17.3" Model: L875-S7308

3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i3-3110M processor

Features a 3MB cache and 2.4GHz processor speed.
    Intel® Core™ i3 processor

Features smart 4-way processing performance for HD quality computing.

Intel® HD graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.
    4GB DDR3 memory

17.3" LED-backlit TFT high-definition widescreen display

With TruBrite technology and a 1600 x 900 resolution.

640GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times. Toshiba hard drive impact (3D) sensor helps keep your data safe.

Mobile Intel® HD graphics

Microsoft Windows 8 operating system updated to Pro

Best regards

ADRIAN DIBU

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:02 PM
  • Hi,

In a review at Best Buy about:

Sony - VAIO 14" Touch-Screen Laptop - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive

Model: SVE14A27CXH

LED-backlit high-definition touch screen (1600 x 900)

Memory 8GB

Microsoft Windows 8 Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled

2gb dedicated graphics

Review

I liked the new Sony Vaio touch screen as it comes with 8G RAM unlike most of the current offerings which is only 4G. It is an easy to carry laptop and of course the Touch screen is great.

The fact that the HD is Sata 5400 RPM is a no go, very slow. I thought I might be able to deal with it but no way.

Once I upgraded to Win8 Pro from Win8 on the laptop and turned on HyperV in order for me to develop Windows Phone 8 applications in VS, the machine was not happy and the Fan went on continuously with very loud noise that is not acceptable.

I am returning the laptop today

My questions:

What is min and max for a laptop to convice it to run the Windows Phone 8 emulator?

If I return the laptop is a way to install Windows 8 Pro on the new laptop?

Best regards

ADRIAN DIBU

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:45 PM