none
Running automated Tests in Microsoft Test Manager

Question

• Hi, 

I tried execute an automated test but i found this error "Cannot create automated test run.  A build associated with the active test plan is required to submit an automated test run.", anyone can help me?

Best, 

Philipe

Friday, May 10, 2013 3:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

How are you running automated tests?

from command line? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-IN/library/ms182486.aspx

Thanks,

Venkata reddy

venkata reddy

Sunday, May 12, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Hi, 

I running automated test from gui of Microsoft Test Manager.

Thanks

Philipe

Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hi Philipe,

Thank you for your post.

Use MTM run automated test, you need set up test environment, test setting in MTM Lab center. Associate test case with test method in VS, associate test plan with correct team build, test setting. 

1. About test case with test method in VS, you can refer to How to: Associate an Automated Test with a Test Case.

2. MTM use test plan to run automated test. Test plan contains test case which associate with test method. Test setting and environment is create for test plan. Correct build is select for test plan. For detail information, you can refer to How to: Run Automated Tests from a Test Plan Using Microsoft Test Manager.

3. You should set up lab to hold test environment and test settings. This test environment is need to run automated test in MTM. For detail information, you can refer to Using a Virtual Lab for Your Application Lifecycle.

4. You need use TFS build to build the test application, then choose the correct build for test plan. For detail information, you can refer to Create a Basic Build Definition. If you are not using Team Foundation Build to build your application and tests, you can still run automated tests using Microsoft Test Manager. You must create a build definition that just has a share location added to it. The share location is where your assemblies for your tests are located. To create a build instance that can be associated with the test plan, the build definition must be triggered at least once. If you don't have the Visual Studio 2012 Team Foundation Server build infrastructure set up, then you must create a fake build for the build definition. For more information, see Jason Prickett’s Blog: Creating Fake Builds in TFS Build 2010. 

For detain information about run auto test via MTM, you can refer to How to: Run Automated Tests In a Lab Environment Using Microsoft Test Manager.

Regards,

Lily Wu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 13, 2013 3:21 AM
  • Hi Lily,

And thanks for help, but I have another question. I do my build with help of team explorer (TFS), for create a new build, but in the step, Process, i don't have the Default Template, for choose, in fact the dropdown list is empty. you can help me??

Regards,

Philipe

Monday, May 13, 2013 10:00 AM
  • Hi Philipe,

Thank you for your post!

In this thread, we are mainly discussing about run auto test via MTM. Since your new question is relate team build, it would be better if you open up a new thread for the new question on TFS build forum. In this way, our discussion here will not deviate too much from the original issue. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Hi,

Since we haven't heard from you for a long time, I temporarily close this case. I mark useful reply as answer. If you have any concerns, please free feel to reopen it or submit a new question. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Lily Wu

Friday, May 17, 2013 7:16 AM