How to improve user experience when preparing to run XBAP RRS feed

• Question

•  

After the XBAP is loaded and preparing to run Xbap, the screen is blank for a while.  I would like to show progress in a way that appears friendly to the user. In my case, I want to add some additional messages to improve user experience, i.e., display "Initializing..." when initializing components, and "Retrieving data..." when getting the data from database and such.

Could anybody tell me how to do this?  Many thanks!

Corin

Just do it
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 8:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• The .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 already enables user friendly custom progress page for XBAP application, although, it's not customizable, you could file a feature request on this at the connect site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=212&wa=wsignin1.0

Thanks
    • Marked as answer by Marco Zhou Monday, November 10, 2008 9:53 AM
    Friday, November 7, 2008 5:22 AM
  • Many thanks, Marco.

Is there any workaround for this situation? e.g., it is possible to add a page displaying some progress messages in our XBAP application, when users click Publish button on the Publish.htm and prepare to run the actual XBAP, navigate to the page displaying progress messages, if all the initialial job is done then re-navigate to the master page of XBAP?

Just do it
    Monday, November 10, 2008 7:06 AM
  • -> when users click Publish button on the Publish.htm and prepare to run the actual XBAP, navigate to the page displaying progress messages, if all the initialial job is done then re-navigate to the master page of XBAP?

I don't think it's possible to do so, as far as I know, the download of XBAP application is done by PresentationHost.exe, so from my understanding, you simply cannot do so, because you need to have finer grained control over the downloading progress of XBAP (so that you could use html/javascript to mimic the download progress bar) which is not available in current version of WPF.

Thanks
    Monday, November 10, 2008 9:53 AM